29 Gallon Tank My Nitrogen cycle (fishless) seems never ending!

kelorkirti

I am setting up a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium and I started my fishless nitrogen cycle a little more than 6 weeks back. I used Dr. Tim's ammonia and Live bacteria to start the process. Over period of few weeks, ammonia went up and reduced and nitrites built up. Eventually the 3rd stage started where I could see nitrates building up as well. I could confirm all of these using API Freshwater Master Test kit.

I put in Dr. Tim's ammonia and test every 24 hours. Initially ammonia took 48 hours to go down to zero. But as of last week (i.e., 5th week) I see ammonia is zero and nitrite is between 1.5 & 2 ppm in 24 hours. Whenever the nitrite goes to 0.25 ppm or below, I add ammonia. I saw that nitrites went to initially 4 ppm and then came down to 0.25 in 72 hours. Now currently, nitrite spikes up to around 2 ppm and till last check it came down to 0.25 ppm in 48 hours.

I have added more ammonia and as per latest check after adding ammonia I see ZERO ammonia and 1 ppm nitrite after 24 hours. Nitrate is at around 40- 60 ppm.

My question: It has been more than 6 weeks now and I still see that nitrite is not coming to zero or close to zero in 24 hours. Why is it taking so much time? Am I doing something wrong or should I continue to add ammonia as soon as nitrite goes down to 0.25 or below and that will work?

Bruinfishkeeper1

How much ammonia are you adding? This is a little bit confusing lol. Your Nitrates are pretty high which kinda gets me the impression that your BB just can't keep up with the amount of ammonia your adding. Also is there any nitrite in your tap water?

maybe mattgirl could help with this

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

What is your pH level? Have you changed any water since starting this cycle? These 2 things are the most likely reason your cycle isn't working as well as it should. If the pH level is below 7 the cycling process can slow down. At 6 it can practically stop. If you've not changed any water all the necessary minerals in the original water are now all used up.

Most of the time simply changing out no less than half the water will get things moving forward.

Upvote 0

kelorkirti

Apologies for the late reply. Looks like the cycle is finally over. I can see 2 ppm ammonia getting converted to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours now. It has been getting converted to zero ammonia and nitrite for 2 days in a row now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Karen627
Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
Amber818