My Nitrates Are A Bit Off, So...

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by TagTeam, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TagTeam

TagTeam Valued Member Member

I have an opportunity to get 8 RCS for $10 tomorrow, but my Nitrates are at 10ppm (Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0). Would you advise to wait until the Nitrates are at zero or should the RCS be okay?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Nitrates are fine! You should have nitrates in a cycled tank - getting them to zero requires a lot of plants and a low bioload, or a denitrate filter (definitely not required).

What else is in the tank?

3. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Those numbers are great! as long as your nitrates dont climb above 40pmm (athough most of us keep them under 20ppm), you're all good! the best way to control nitrates is by doing weekly partial water changes, but live plants can also use them up and keep the levels low, too. :)

4. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

Thank you
    Fish: 8 BST, 2 Black Loach and 5 Kuhlli Loach
    Plants: Green Cabomba, Amazon Sword, Java Moss, Java Fern, Hornwort
    Substrate: BDBS
    Light: Beamswork EA
    No ferts or Co2

5. TexasDomer

The black skirts may harass the shrimp, and/or may cause them to hide a lot, just so you know.

6. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

I was thinking of putting them in my 20g which has 2 Honey Gourami, but I'm afraid they eat them. Am I correct with that concern?

7. TexasDomer

They'll likely eat the small ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice