My newest members Boesemani Rainbows

FishnFry
Hi!! I just acquired 3 BoesemanI Rainbows the other day. 2 are about 3" and the other 1 is about 2.5". I've never kept any rainbows before but they sure are quite entertaining to watch. They are still on QT but they'll be moved to their permanent tank thereafter with a male gold severum, some cardinal tetras and plecos.

Does anybody housed rainbows with the bigger severums without any problems?

Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

capekate
HI Fishnfry
Good luck with your boesemans.. Ive had them as well along with the Australian bows. they are quite entertaining to watch them swim at all levels of the tank and they really like to be in groups. ;D At my LFS they have a boeseman that is around 4 inches I couldnt believe how large they get. Well, I knew how large they get, just haven't had the chance to see one up close. They are beautiful... I wish you success with yours, as my boesemans didnt last long. :-\ But my original Australian is about 3.5 inches or so and doing great. These fish have been kept with a wide assortment of fish in my tank and found them to get along with every species. Not sure about your Severum and how big it is, and its temperment, but I'm willing to bet that they will get along fine as long as your Severum is not one that likes to attack other fish. I would do some research on the personality of the Severum to find out more.

FishnFry
HI capekate! Thanks for the info. I wish they have more at the lfs but they only have 3. I would have love to get at least 3 more.

My severums are also in the QT right now as I just got them as well. I have 2 males both 6" but I'm not keeping them both as I know it would mean trouble. They will be all put in a 130 planted and so it's still a wait-and-see until they are all in there and hope they won't bother my plants.

BTW I'm not sure if I really do have Boesemani's but it looks like it. I've attach a picture to check if it really is. The lfs labeled it as boesemanI but I want to be sure.

capekate
HI capekate! Thanks for the info. I wish they have more at the lfs but they only have 3. I would have love to get at least 3 more.

My severums are also in the QT right now as I just got them as well. I have 2 males both 6" but I'm not keeping them both as I know it would mean trouble. They will be all put in a 130 planted and so it's still a wait-and-see until they are all in there and hope they won't bother my plants.

BTW I'm not sure if I really do have Boesemani's but it looks like it. I've attach a picture to check if it really is. The lfs labeled it as boesemanI but I want to be sure.
That is a beautiful healthy looking Boes' you have there! It will color up more as it gets comfortable in its new home. The males have more of a hump in their back than females. And females are a little bit more slender.
good luck with them... if they all look like the one in the photo, you will be very happy with them! ;D

FishnFry
Thanks.

And I'm liking them already. I used to "not like" rainbows but when I got these home, I am having fun just watching them go for the food. The 2 look the same as in the picture, 1 is smaller with less coloration. I wonder if it's a female or just not the same age as them 2.

I think I know what to put in my 130 now besides the little cardinals.

I like them a lot as they are so pretty to take pictures as well.

capekate
Thanks.

And I'm liking them already. I used to "not like" rainbows but when I got these home, I am having fun just watching them go for the food. The 2 look the same as in the picture, 1 is smaller with less coloration. I wonder if it's a female or just not the same age as them 2.

I think I know what to put in my 130 now besides the little cardinals.

I like them a lot as they are so pretty to take pictures as well.
Rainbows are one of my favs for sure. I really do like to watch the interaction between them. I had a lot of them, and at my last batch that I did not QT first, they brought in fish TB and I lost almost all of them. I only have two of the originals left. I had three boes, and later had 2 blue turquoise that were beautiful as well. One of the remaining was one of the sick ones and is a female and pretty slender, but after treatment she survived, now my remaining large male is always after her and I have to think about adding a few more. But this time they go into QT first.
I have cardinal tetras in with them now, and they really do not bother any other species of fish, so you can pretty much think of any additions to your tank. good luck with that!

FishnFry
Oh that's music to my ears. Thanks capekate, you've been so helpful and now I can relax and look forward to putting them in their permanent homes. I'll have to get some more of these when the lfs brings some more in.

Sorry to hear about yours. Hope you'll have some babies soon. I wonder if 1 of mine is a female. The other big 1 has a more bolder stripe in the middle of its body.

Thanks again for everything.

Butterfly
That is one beautiful Boesemani! They Get such beautiful vibrant colors as they mature.
I have Threadfins and really love them.
Carol

capekate
.. am I in the twilight zone? what happened to my posts that I had here, it seems that one or two are gone? any ideas? hmmmm....this is bizarre!

Butterfly
I see three kate how many are missing?
Carol

capekate
Well, at least one post, that I had mentioned the plants that fishnfry had asked about and either in that one or another one I added a photo of my own rainbow. I saw it here... but when I came back to read new posts, it was gone?

Butterfly
How strange! Maybe the server ate them? I checked for your last posts and they are nowhere(I have been know to post in the wrong thread). Sorry
Carol

FishnFry
Well, at least one post, that I had mentioned the plants that fishnfry had asked about and either in that one or another one I added a photo of my own rainbow. I saw it here... but when I came back to read new posts, it was gone?

That's funny. I've never seen that post kate. Wonder why? Hmm.

capekate
How strange! Maybe the server ate them? I checked for your last posts and they are nowhere(I have been know to post in the wrong thread). Sorry
Carol
It is strange for sure. The post was there since I did see it. I wonder if it was deleted? Or would it show up as deleted post?
But anyway.. yes, that is strange.. hmm.. oh well.
thanks Carol.

~ kate

Butterfly
It should show up as a deleted post. I don't know what to say
Carol

capekate
It should show up as a deleted post. I don't know what to say
Carol

LOL Carol... well, they don't call it cyber space for nothing!

FishnFry
Allie
Wow those are pretty.

FishnFry
Wow those are pretty.

Thanks! And here's a pix of all 3. Can anyone tell me if I have a male/female? The one at the back is smaller than the 2 in front.

Allie
Thanks! And here's a pix of all 3. Can anyone tell me if I have a male/female? The one at the back is smaller than the 2 in front.
Again very pretty.

FishnFry
Thanks!

If I can only find 3 more.

capekate
HI FishnFry
I cannot tell 100% what the gender of each is, so will not guess. You got some beauties there! I did PM a member who has bows and knows a lot about them. He would most likely be able to ID those for you. Hopefully he will check out the PM and be able to let you know.

FishnFry
HI FishnFry
I cannot tell 100% what the gender of each is, so will not guess. You got some beauties there! I did PM a member who has bows and knows a lot about them. He would most likely be able to ID those for you. Hopefully he will check out the PM and be able to let you know.

Thanks Kate! Indeed they are such pretty fish and I know I'd be more than likely wanna get some more of these.

I hope he'll be able to for me.

Thanks again.

susitna-flower
I love rainbows....one of my favorite fish. Be sure not to have anything in the tank with sharp edges. I've seen more than one case of their skin getting "ripped"...

FishnFry
I love rainbows....one of my favorite fish. Be sure not to have anything in the tank with sharp edges. I've seen more than one case of their skin getting "ripped"...

Thanks for the heads up.. They'll be in the main tank with just driftwood and lotsa plants.

Just curious, why do they easily get those ripped skin esp on their faces? They're in the QT right now and sometimes I can see a ripped skin on them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Riza1990
Replies
Views
BluMan1914
Top Bottom