My newest addition!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by 1hawaii50, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

My newest addition! Added pics on last post!

I was NOT planning on buying one of these yet, but when I saw him, I couldn't resist! The tank plaque said that it is a German Strain Ram.

I'll get a few better pics once he's acclimated to the tank!

108.jpg

His tankmates consist of 6 Panda Corys, 2 Rainbow Platys, 2 Tuxedo Platys, and 6 Praecox Rainbows.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Wow! I love the coloring on him!

3. OP
    OP

1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I know, I walked all of the tank aisles, and I kept coming back to their tank. There were 3 of them left, and he was the most colorful!

4. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I would of bought all of them....XD lol I'm such a greedy fish keeper....:;smack

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Nice German Blue Ram.
    Carol

6. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

What a beautiful boy!

7. OP
    OP

After the mini-cycle that I went through last month, I need to show restraint! I was only planning on picking up 2 more Platys, but I couldn't resist the Ram!

Thanks, they had him listed as a German "Strain" Ram, but it looks like a German Blue to me.

8. harpua2002

Same species, microgeophagus (or papiliochromis) ramirezi. Gold, longfin, German strain, etc. are all variants of the same species. :)

9. OP
    OP

Got it! Thanks!

10. harpua2002

Hehe, regardless, he is fantastic!

11. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Nice looking fish.

Although it may or may not matter to you, it is a Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi.
    Papiliochromis I believe if my memory is correct was used years ago when they moved these fish from Apistogramma. It has changed names many times like most fish even once classified under Pseudogeophagus when they got really nervous for a new name.

The German Strain and all the other names are just trade names, makes them sound better. Most people like German Strain Ram better than Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. Noone cares too much about the guy who collected the fish and for who the fish was named after.

Fun fish though.

Brian

12. OP
    OP

I agree...I'm very happy that I decided to get him1

Brian, thanks for the info, I like to know exactly what I have! I asked the LFS workers about it, and nobody seemed to really know. I figured that he was such a good looking fish that I would get him, and if it was a fish type that wouldn't be compatible with my community, then I would take him back. I'm glad I took the chance, as he doesn't seem to be bothered...or to bother, any of the other fish I have!

13. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Congrats on the new addition!
    Beautiful Ram.
    Ken

14. OP
    OP

Thank you Ken. I just fed the fish this morning, and I figured I wouldn't see the Ram for a few days until he adjusted to the tank. Much to my surprise, he is out and about!

15. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Congratulations! I love GBR's, but I've never attempted them. Maybe in the near future I will, though. They're gorgeous fish.

16. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Awesome fishies. I love Rams. I hope I could get some soon. :;perfect

17. OP
    OP

Thank you. I was undecided between a Dwarf Gourami, or a Ram. I wasn't planning on either just yet, as I wanted it to be the last fish added, but when I saw them, I couldn't pass it up! I think I'm just about fully stocked! I may add another 2 Platys, and I want a Pleco...otherwise I'm done!

The GBR was out and about tonight, so I'm pretty happy. He seems to be doing well. He was hanging with the Panda Corys this morning when I fed them...A couple of the Rainbows got up close and personal, and he seemed to take it all in stride. He didn't go after any of them, and he didn't back off...he just kind of seemed to be taking it all in!

18. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Cool fish Joe. I love Blue Rams. I think the Germans are supposed to have more vivid colours. At least that the explanation I got from a few of my LFS & cichlid society contacts. :)

Just watch out for fungus over the next few weeks. I've found these guys are particularly susceptible to it. Probably from the stress of transport I'm guessing.

19. OP
    OP

Thanks, I appreciate the info...I'll keep a close eye on him!

20. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

great looking fish.... I'm going to put two pairs in my new tank that I'm letting cycle now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice