My newest addition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My newest addition! Added pics on last post!

I was NOT planning on buying one of these yet, but when I saw him, I couldn't resist! The tank plaque said that it is a German Strain Ram.

I'll get a few better pics once he's acclimated to the tank!

108.jpg

His tankmates consist of 6 Panda Corys, 2 Rainbow Platys, 2 Tuxedo Platys, and 6 Praecox Rainbows.

Last edited:
OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would of bought all of them....XD lol I'm such a greedy fish keeper....
After the mini-cycle that I went through last month, I need to show restraint! I was only planning on picking up 2 more Platys, but I couldn't resist the Ram!

Nice German Blue Ram.
Carol
Thanks, they had him listed as a German "Strain" Ram, but it looks like a German Blue to me.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After the mini-cycle that I went through last month, I need to show restraint! I was only planning on picking up 2 more Platys, but I couldn't resist the Ram!

Thanks, they had him listed as a German "Strain" Ram, but it looks like a German Blue to me.
Same species, microgeophagus (or papiliochromis) ramirezi. Gold, longfin, German strain, etc. are all variants of the same species.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking fish.

Although it may or may not matter to you, it is a Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi.
Papiliochromis I believe if my memory is correct was used years ago when they moved these fish from Apistogramma. It has changed names many times like most fish even once classified under Pseudogeophagus when they got really nervous for a new name.

The German Strain and all the other names are just trade names, makes them sound better. Most people like German Strain Ram better than Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. Noone cares too much about the guy who collected the fish and for who the fish was named after.

Fun fish though.

Brian

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hehe, regardless, he is fantastic!
I agree...I'm very happy that I decided to get him1

Nice looking fish.

Although it may or may not matter to you, it is a Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi.
Papiliochromis I believe if my memory is correct was used years ago when they moved these fish from Apistogramma. It has changed names many times like most fish even once classified under Pseudogeophagus when they got really nervous for a new name.

The German Strain and all the other names are just trade names, makes them sound better. Most people like German Strain Ram better than Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. Noone cares too much about the guy who collected the fish and for who the fish was named after.

Fun fish though.

Brian
Brian, thanks for the info, I like to know exactly what I have! I asked the LFS workers about it, and nobody seemed to really know. I figured that he was such a good looking fish that I would get him, and if it was a fish type that wouldn't be compatible with my community, then I would take him back. I'm glad I took the chance, as he doesn't seem to be bothered...or to bother, any of the other fish I have!

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congratulations! I love GBR's, but I've never attempted them. Maybe in the near future I will, though. They're gorgeous fish.
Awesome fishies. I love Rams. I hope I could get some soon.
Thank you. I was undecided between a Dwarf Gourami, or a Ram. I wasn't planning on either just yet, as I wanted it to be the last fish added, but when I saw them, I couldn't pass it up! I think I'm just about fully stocked! I may add another 2 Platys, and I want a Pleco...otherwise I'm done!

The GBR was out and about tonight, so I'm pretty happy. He seems to be doing well. He was hanging with the Panda Corys this morning when I fed them...A couple of the Rainbows got up close and personal, and he seemed to take it all in stride. He didn't go after any of them, and he didn't back off...he just kind of seemed to be taking it all in!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool fish Joe. I love Blue Rams. I think the Germans are supposed to have more vivid colours. At least that the explanation I got from a few of my LFS & cichlid society contacts.

Just watch out for fungus over the next few weeks. I've found these guys are particularly susceptible to it. Probably from the stress of transport I'm guessing.

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool fish Joe. I love Blue Rams. I think the Germans are supposed to have more vivid colours. At least that the explanation I got from a few of my LFS & cichlid society contacts.

Just watch out for fungus over the next few weeks. I've found these guys are particularly susceptible to it. Probably from the stress of transport I'm guessing.
Thanks, I appreciate the info...I'll keep a close eye on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom