My new Toadstool is squirting white stuff from its closed polyps?

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by josh40996, Dec 31, 2012.

1. josh40996

josh40996Valued MemberMember

So 2 days ago I got a new Toadstool (It has two on one piece of live rock) and put him in my tank, they bt went very limp and one is shedding whilst the other one isnt shedding but seems to be slightly better looking then the other one. Anyway today I have just been watching the one which is shedding and from its closed polyps its squirting white stuff into the water and i was wondering what it was? Reminds me of chemical warfare... But I have only one other coral in the tank (excluding the one on the same rock as the shedding one) which isn't near by.

My parameters are fine however my Salinty was off the scale so I am slowly bringing it back down, as I type it is currently at 1.027.

EDIT: I have just noticed that my featherduster is now closedup very tightly which is very unuseual for him.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. OP
    OP
    josh40996

Sorry I haven't given anyone a chance to answer before I butt in again...

I have just read on another forum that during the acclimation and shedding stage, they sometimes release toxins due to the stress and simply running carbon will soak them up. Is this true?

Maybe il double my carbon I currently have in XD

3. OP
    OP
    josh40996

Hi again, I think I know why it was going crazy... Turns out i have leather eating nudibranch. My Toadstool must of brought it in, I saw the little pest the other day on my glass but thought it was nothing and maybe a sea cucumber... boy was i wrong. My leather has a huge hole in the center of it where the polyps extend from and the other attached toadstool is forming dark spots. Poor guys, does anyone know what I can do for these guys? I just want happy corals but problems keep arising...

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, sorry you're having trouble.

I assume you've since removed the nudibranch?

How did your SG get so high? What are using as top-off water?

Too, this setup is only 9 days old yes? It's a bit early to introduce corals IMO. Has the tank finished cycling? What are your other parameters?

SG 1.027 (how was this measured)
    Temperature 26C
    Ammonia?
    Nitrite?
    Nitrate? (0-10 in your profile)
    Alkalinity?
    pH?

The best you can do is provide pristine water conditions, and hope the coral recovers, though not always possible.

Too, note that Specific Gravity is measured in 1.0xx, whereas salinity refers to parts per thousand and is measured using a refractometer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice