My new tank

1. Maida_gc Member Member

I'm 5 days into cycling, brand new setup. Painted blue backgroud, outside of course :), 3 species of live plants, seem to be thriving - just recently gave them all a bleach bath to hopefully rid my tank of snail eggs. Hoping for a nice friendly community w/ Cory's (it's my last name how can I not), Guarmi's and other colourful peaceful fish. Reco's are greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Your tank looks great! Since you stated you wanted cory cats, do some research on what is compatible. How big is the tank? That will determine how many cory cats you will want in the tank. They like to be in at least groups of 3. I have cory cats in a 20 gal. long with a male betta, 3 buenos aires tetras, and 4 yo yo loaches. Everyone seems to get along fine. It's pretty easy to match other fish to your corys. Generally, if the corys can fit in the other fishie's mouth, it's not a good choice.

3. Maida_gc Member Member

35 Gal tank pictured above. I have found a great link for compatibility, hope it's accurate for the most part. Please share with forum if you like it Gunnie.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

It seems to me there are several great fish that are compatible with corys. Chichlids seem to get too big and be bothersome to other peaceful fish, and my plants, so I will avoid those. My biggest problem will be how big fish will eventually grow. I think I would like my fish to stay 3-4 inches as adults. And colour is important, so I'm interested and excited to see what possiblities I have in my future. My girlfriend must have a "yellow fish" thats the only manditory - I've seen pictures of yellow labs? But I don't know much of them yet. But I will soon.

A local pet store has many different varieties of Corys, and sell them individually or in 3s - so I may get 6 eventually, 3 to start cycling more effeciently in a week or so. I saw some "Flagtail" Corys - really cool.

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Maida, beautiful tank :)

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't think the yellow labs would be compatible with corys. I could be wrong, but I would think they are too aggressive to be in the same tank with cory cats. Thanks for the link! I didn't even know about that! Don't get the corys until your tank is fully cycled! They don't do well in uncycled water, and I'm afraid you would have a high casualty rate. If you are going to cycle with fish, use zebra danios or tiger barbs. If you are interested in gouramis, the golden gourami might be able to satisfy your girlfriend's desire for yellow. Gourami's can be SOB's to most other fish but should be fine with the corys.

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Thats lovely with the blue paint! And where did ou get those stones? I've never seen any like that before...

7. joe Member Member

Thats an awesome tank! ;D

Joe

8. Maida_gc Member Member

Thanks for the kind words all!

The rocks are from Big Als! I'm not sure what the rocks are called but they have a rich white/pink centre and are non PH altering. I'll be going back in a month or so, I'll try and repost let you know.

And I must say, the paint worked exceptionally! I thought I botched it a bit because on the back the paint had some drips and smudges, but since I was painting the back, once turned around - from the front - it looked great! Highly reccomended from my experience. Since there are no glass paints beside 'frosted' I went with standard spraypaint, tape off and unwanted sections, and ensure no excess gets inside, and paint on it's side to prevent gravity creating runs (my mistake). Of course once painted you're limited in background chocies, but we're happy with the turnout for sure. I think razors would remove it if needed.

re: Cory's, I'll be sure to wait until the tank is completley cycled, I'm attempting a fishless cycle. I currently have some shrimp rotting in my tank now to create initial ammonia. The only ammonia in my neighbourhood was Lemon Fresh - no good! I've heard some good reviews with this shrimp method, so I'll keep everyone up to date on my cycle. Nothing to report so far. I do have a general hardness question, but I'll post that in a new forum.

In another forum I also posted an avoiding snails question. I saw eggs on my plants, and even had 2 hatch. However after removing the two babies and bleaching all of my plants I'm pleased to report I'm 3 days snail free and my plants look fine.

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Great looking Set up. Like the way you've positioned everything. You can get most livebearers in yellow. One of my female swords is yellow with an orange tail

10. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

very nice tank but r the tanks in the bak left corner fake or real and if real wat r they and wat bout the plants in the front

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

These plants look real to me, and I think they are, right Maida?

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

They look real 2 me 2 ;)

13. Maida_gc Member Member

The plants in the back left, long grass type, I beleive are "Jungle Val" - I haven't been back to the pet store to confirm this yet, and I wasn't bright enough to remember when buying them, but they are real and doing well so far. The small ones in the front left (again didn't write the name down) look like a pygme crypt. They are doing fine as well. The tall ones in the back right were real, but they did not transition well to my tank and I have since removed them. :( The one in the middle, underneath the rocks, is however fake.

My guess is I will add more of the long grass type for a background once my tank is cycled. And a few more of those crypts along the front.

I would reccomend a bleach bath or other snail egg removing techniques when acquiring a plants, mine were loaded with them and I have successfuly eliminted the problem before it became a problem.

I'll send more pictures soon, and more plant advice once I figure it out. Chat soon all. GC

14. Maida_gc Member Member

Of course while waiting for my fishless cycle I can't help but re-decorate oh... about a million times. After doing some research and some discovery on the fish I would like to get's needs - i.e. hiding places etc. I have come up with this new layout. And I would like to share. (This is turning into a bit of a blog). The plants on the right are fake, on the left are real. I am happy to say that my cycle is going great. I beleive I am 2 weeks in. My ammonia, up to 5 at one point is down to zero. My nitrites have peaked and are falling as my nitrates are rising. I am not long away hopefully from zero nitrites, a water change, then some fishies. Enjoy. Greg.

Attached Files:

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

nice! :)

16. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Excellent! Keep up the good work! ;)

17. Maida_gc Member Member

I am happy to report that I have completed my fishless cycle 35 GAL in what documents as 20 days. 3 weeks. Not too bad I must say! My readings came up as:

1 - 0ppm Amonia after being as high as 5
    2 - 0ppm Nitrite after being well off my chart
    3 - 10-15 Nitrate after being a bright red - tough to distinguish, but red is high :)

I am also pleased to annouce that I have also added some fish to the environment. They are all very happy and curious.

I am now the proud owner of 6 Cory Cats - 3 baby Pandas and 3 bigger Julii's. All are VERY hard at work already.
    I also have 2 very inquisitive Red Honey Gourami's.

I will send pics as soon as I can, however the only bad news I have to report is my digital camera is in the shop for 2 weeks. So you'll have to wait. Talk soon.

18. Maida_gc Member Member

Day 2 with fish and they are doing AWESOME. The Corys are so ACTIVE - they are the busiest animal I've ever seen.

And here is something I just figured out.
    I must have painted the front of the acquarium because the other 3 walls are mirrored. Meaning the fish can't see out of the aquarium. This defenitly has its benefits as the fish are really acting at the front and you get really close to them without them swiming away. That and I have the aquarium in a moderetly trafficed area, so they won't get stressed. Just think its neat. Is this common - do you guys have mirrored walls?

19. dahly Member Member

I really like your tank! Good job! I don't have mirrors, but my Gouramies as well as others at times, do look at there reflection in the glass at times. I think they believe it's another fish! :D Enjoy!

20. beckers4oranges Member Member

great tank..i didnt catch how big it was...but it made my eyes widen...its a beauty