Help My new snails are dead (?), but why?

Bloof

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am not an aquarium expert, just got 2x20l tanks for my kids and everything seems fine after a few hick-ups (a 'safe' algae removal product that killed 2 guppies).
My tanks have 1 live plant and some decorations. Water quality seems OK (see picture below). Water is about 21-22 deg C. There is a lot of light, on window sill, no direct sunlight.
I just got 2 snails for each aquarium, they were active for a few days, they seemed to always hang out above the waterline, sometimes (rarely) going to the bottom.

3 of them haven't moved for 2-3 days and are at the bottom of the tank. I took them out to take pictures and they look pretty dead to me. So my question is: what could have killed them? I thought they fed on food leftovers and plants and needed very little attention.

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot_20200702-093705_JBL_PROSCAN.png
IMG_20200702_084153.jpg
IMG_20200702_084158.jpg
IMG_20200702_084907.jpg
IMG_20200702_084922.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sounds like a water quality issue if they stayed above the waterline the whole time. Whats your Ammonia level and is your tank fully cycled?

OP
B

Bloof

Reaction score
Thanks Blueberrybetta, you've confirmed that the behavior of living above the waterline is NOT normal behavior and that these snails appear pretty dead.... Must be a water quality issue. My aquariums should be fully cycled, they have been operating for 2-3 months now.
However, I recently used an algae removal product which seems to have been very nefarious (despite assurances from the shop owner), I saw a film develop on surface, in 1 aquarium the fishes were grouping themselves in a corner at the surface. I changed 50-60% of the water but 2 fishes still died. I have also added live plants.
The fishes are swimming happily now so I think the water must be much better but 3 out of 4 snails are dead and the last one is just clinging for dear life above the water line. I added the snails the day after the water change, there might still have been residue on the gravel or glass (?!?).

I will make more water changes more frequently for the next few days, wait for the last snail to show 'normal' behaviour before I think of adding more.

Thanks again.

OP
B

Bloof

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Indeed the algae treatment is sulfate of copper.
Now I know....

New Threads