My new Shellies!

Leeman75

Just wanted to show off my new Shell-Dwellers. I've had them a week now and they have very quickly become darlings in our house! I love how they move around the sand in the tank.

We have 3 females and 1 male. Two of them seem to live in the rocks in the center of the tank, the other two in shells at opposite sides of the tanks. Is there anything that I need to do to get them to breed? Will they pair off or will the 1 male basically go from one female to the other?

A201

As long as the PH is above 8, the Nitrates are below 20 & temp is between 79 - 82 degrees, breeding shouldn't be long off. That is as long as a mated pair exist.

Flyfisha

As long as they are wet they will breed.
Having live food is not necessary but makes me feel better.
The Neolamprolopus multifasciatus ( Multies) I have don’t seem to form pairs? I thought the female has a small territory that the male can come and go from?

A nitrates reading of over 40ppm does not stop breeding as far as I can tell. They do not eat their young. However when you have hundreds in the tank as you probably will I believe the juveniles eat the babies or the parents slow down for some reason?
With dozens of these fish I suggest you need to do multiple water changes because of growth hormones?

In my opinion you will soon need many more shells each female wants/ needs 4 shells . They continuously bury each other’s shells. Do they do this on purpose? I don’t know but it’s one of the fascinating things to watch?
Note the lack of shells in the photo ( lol)” Do as I say not as I do”

Leeman75

A201 said:
As long as the PH is above 8, the Nitrates are below 20 & temp is between 79 - 82 degrees, breeding shouldn't be long off. That is as long as a mated pair exist.
Check, check, and check! Thanks!

Leeman75

Flyfisha said:
In my opinion you will soon need many more shells each female wants/ needs 4 shells . They continuously bury each other’s shells. Do they do this on purpose? I don’t know but it’s one of the fascinating things to watch?Note the lack of shells in the photo ( lol)” Do as I say not as I do”
Very informative...thank you! I am starting to see the burying of the shells and have wondered about that. The moving of the sand by the glass is interesting too! I'll keep in mind that more shells may need to come and that my water changes will be more frequent.

Even with that, they're still so cool!!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom