My new project

Butterfly

This is a 1 gallon pickle jar. In it is gravel, one wisteria plant, several rocks and a slow bubbler.
Why? Because I like the way it looks it sits on my table with some of my favorite rocks in front of a window and gets bright light for about two hours and less bright light the rest of the day, and two drops of Flourish excel each day. There are no critters in the jar just plants.
It adds such a soothing look to that side of the room. so have I lost my mind? We shall see
Carol

Attachments

catsma_97504

What a great idea! Hope it doesn't grow too much algae being in the window.

Butterfly

catsma_97504 said:
What a great idea! Hope it doesn't grow too much algae being in the window.
Since it doesn't have any critters in it contributing nutrients maybe the two drops of Flourish excell I put in each day won't cause too much algae. I would really like to have a 5 gallon jar and a couple of different kinds of plants to try this with
Carol

Lucy

Oooh, Carol, I like it

Butterfly

Lucy said:
Oooh, Carol, I like it
Thanks You could use any kind of plant.
I haven't been doing water changes but topping it up think that will be ok?
Carol

Aquarist

Hello Carol,

I thought about doing some water plants like that. It's nice and bright! Let us know how it does.

Ken

Butterfly

Hey Ken! I hope it does well as I'm really enjoying it.
Carol

Lucy

Butterfly said:
Thanks You could use any kind of plant.
I haven't been doing water changes but topping it up think that will be ok?
Carol
I think it'll be fine Since you have a bubbler, the water won't go stagnant.
Time will tell.

ryanr

very cool idea!!!

Nutter

Very nice Carol. I think it should work out fine. I might have to do something like this myself.

lorabell

What a cool idea!!!!!!!

Nate McFin

Looks great! I have a 1 gallon critter keeper I use for keeping pond snails. I couldnt help but do a "little" decorating. Pardon the pun.
Only reason I see to do water changes is adding nutrients back in. Wisteria can be a nutrient hog. I haven't had any algae in my little tank yet...I didnt have a suitable window so I set up a full compact fluorescent desk lamp from home depot. I have only done top offs as well.
Some of these micro lobsters would be very cool in there! Full grown they are only 1/2 inch long!

411.jpg

bolivianbaby

That looks great, Butterfly! That was a fabulous idea!

ilikefish

Nice!!!

Tana

What a fabulous idea. That looks awesome.

Butterfly

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Nate - The reason I didn't put any critters in it was I couldn't figure out how to put a filter in it.a filter would fit in a larger jar and then critters would be possible. I was thinking along the line of my male Endlers
Thanks for the links.
Carol

Butterfly

ilikefish said:
a betta is a lung fish... and I believe snails breath air too... An apple snail maybe?

Also, You could make a DIY under gravel filter...
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'm gonna leave it as it is. If I can find a bigger jar I might do something different.
Carol

Jake the Fish

That does look great.

CHoffman

Good idea!!
I like it!! Very neat! My wheels are a spinin..;D

jerilovesfrogs

ohhhhhh me likey! very pretty. love the cat too! lol. so where do you get a 1 gallon pickle jar? did you buy it at one of those stores that sell gigantic packages of food, then eat all the pickles?

jeniferdwn

hmmm.....2 kids.....snacks every day after school......we could go through a gallon of pickles pretty quickly.

Butterfly

jerilovesfrogs said:
ohhhhhh me likey! very pretty. love the cat too! lol. so where do you get a 1 gallon pickle jar? did you buy it at one of those stores that sell gigantic packages of food, then eat all the pickles?
Yes actually we did buy a big jar of dill pickles and eat them But some restaurants still get food in glass jars and that would be another resource.
I'll have to take some more pics. The plant has really grown. Now I have ideas for other plant only containers
carol

flyin-lowe

I smell a case of MJS!

Butterfly

Multiple Jar Syndrome YAY!

LyndaB

Very zen......

Butterfly

Yep very Zen LOL
Here are some updated pics of the big jar. I found one of my Nerite snail shells without a snail inside and added it. I really like the way it looks.
Then I added a small jar with a Java Fern in it.
So far no algae from being in front of the window.
Carol

Attachments

Nate McFin

Thanks for the update! Looks like nice growth in there. The zebra nerite is a nce addition as well. Do you still add excel everyday?
Hopefully the new one grows as nicely.

Butterfly

Thanks Nate! It's such a pleasant shade of green and the Nerite shell sets it off nicely too I'm out of Excel so haven't added any in about a week. but will go back to about every other day when I get some.
The little one is about a cup in size and the java fern will out grow it I'm sure in time
Thanks for the nice comments
Carol

Lucy

They look great Carol. Love the Zebra. Gonna snatch some up if I ever see them again.

Butterfly

Thanks Lucy

Elodea

Hmmm, Butterfly, it looks like the jar with the Java fern's contents have expired!

Are bubblers or aerators mandatory?

Butterfly

Elodea said:
Hmmm, Butterfly, it looks like the jar with the Java fern's contents have expired!

Are bubblers or aerators mandatory?
Whew I started to run look at my Java Fern and realized what you meant
I didn't even see the printing until I had alread posted it and said oh well
No I don't think the bubblers are mandatory. I just like the way that one looks in the big jar. the small jar doesn't have one. Due to evaporation water is replaced often enough to keep it from getting stagnant.
It would be neat to have a pretty shaped bowl big enough to put a bubbling decoration in it and add plants.
Carol

josh11551

is flourish mandatory? I think it would be but,what if I put a snail or two in? or some cherry shrimp with an aerator?

Butterfly

josh11551 said:
is flourish mandatory? I think it would be but,what if I put a snail or two in? or some cherry shrimp with an aerator?
I don't have anything alive in either jar so that's why I do the flourish once in a while
I imagine you could put a snail or a couple of shrimp in a big jar with an aereator but not any more than that.
carol

josh11551

if I put the shrimp and aerator in there, would I need the flourish?would I need to put the lid on so the shrimp don't escape and leave a hole for the tubing?

Butterfly

No you won't need the flourish if you put shrimp in there . If you don't fill it all the way to the top (I don't) the shrimp won't escape No need for a lid.
Carol

josh11551

since there should be some algae in there from sitting at the window (not much algae but enough for shrimp food) do I even need to feed the shrimp?

Butterfly

josh11551 said:
since there should be some algae in there from sitting at the window (not much algae but enough for shrimp food) do I even need to feed the shrimp?
feed your shrimp very sparingly. such a small space would be extremely easy to pollute. My jars still don't have any algae in them and they sit in front of the window but by adding food you may get a little. You'll just have to monitor it closely. What kind of plant are you going to put in?
Carol

Top Bottom