My new precious Betta!

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Saved a beautiful Betta from PetValu?

Hey everyone!

Some of you may know that I've been cycling a 6 gallon for about 3-4 weeks now. Well today the tank passed the test with a reading of 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia in 12 hours!

I went to PetValu and got myself a beautiful Delta Betta. When I took him home, I couldn't help myself but to test the water in the little box. Guys... Nitrites were like 3 ppm and ammonia like 3-4 ppm as well, and the water was freezing cold. I felt so so bad for this little guy. I don't know if he's gonna make it since he was in such bad conditions. Never buying from PetValu again. I hope the new water will replenish his health.

Here's Wolowitz!!!

fisharegreat8962

Reaction score
Quite pretty! You should go on Twitter and do #savethebettas2k16! It's an actual challenge and it's pretty cool. Yeah, I'd recommend buying supplies and such from elsewhere whenever you find something like that.

Wildside

Reaction score
It's sad but many petstores mistreat bettas. They think that just because they don't die within a few days, that somehow makes it 'okay' to keep them like that. I don't know PetValu but I got a betta at the beginning of the week from my local fishstore and the water was green! It's sad... Makes you want to bring all of them home and give them big clean tanks.

He's a beauty though and I'm sure being in your good tank will do him a world of wonders.

OP
AnneRose

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wildside said:
It's sad but many petstores mistreat bettas. They think that just because they don't die within a few days, that somehow makes it 'okay' to keep them like that. I don't know PetValu but I got a betta at the beginning of the week from my local fishstore and the water was green! It's sad... Makes you want to bring all of them home and give them big clean tanks.

He's a beauty though and I'm sure being in your good tank will do him a world of wonders.
He sure seems to be having the time of his life right now! At first he was hiding in his castle but now he's swimming around and flaring when I get close to him cause he wants my attention pfff! He's already got a lot more personality than he did in the little box.

Wildside

Reaction score
I'm trying to put myself in a beta's skin (or should that be scales?)... It must be like a human who has been locked in a toilet all their life suddenly having a run of a mansion...

OP
AnneRose

AnneRose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wildside said:
I'm trying to put myself in a beta's skin (or should that be scales?)... It must be like a human who has been locked in a toilet all their life suddenly having a run of a mansion...
Hahaha I love the analogy!! He was in a tiny little cube of water that was COLD, full of ammonia and nitrites. There was a cube beside him with a dead Betta in it

Wolowitz seemed to look very healthy, he must've been just brought in. He went from a half litre to a full 6 gallon with a castle and big rocks, he's chillin'!

Wildside

Reaction score
Same thing with me. The 'expensive' bettas (halfmoons and crowtains) are allowed those 2L cubes (which is pretty much the same as sticking them in a large coke bottle) and the regular veil tails are just left to float in plastic bags the other tanks with the other fish. Dead or dying fish everywhere... It's disgusting. I picked up my fish from there with some mild fin-rot but some of the others barely had any fins left...

It's so sad because it wouldn't take much to make it better for them and it gives people all the wrong messages about betta care.

New Threads