My new platy, healthy? Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by platymum2801, Jul 11, 2015.

1. platymum2801

platymum2801 Valued Member Member

Hi, I have three new platy as of 29/06/15, all female, I have a suspicion one or two may be pregnant and some concerns about the little guy of the group. Two of my platy are quite round and of larger size and one is quite small and slimline. I'm not sure if this is because one is younger, not pregnant, or possibly unhealthy? Unfortunately like a lot of people new to fish keeping, my fish were purchased by grandparents as a gift for my daughter. On the spot! I am taking this very seriously though, I love our new fish and their health and happiness is very important to me. The first water check I had done was very high in ammonia even though I'd done all the right things, so I bought another tank, separated the platy from the Danio that were bought at the same time (to try and reduce the amount of waste), ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436603033.480141.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436603113.508592.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436603146.610032.jpg and added live elodea and have been keeping a close eye on water quality in both tanks. I've provided a few pictures and any comments and opinions would be welcome and much appreciated. Thanks very much..

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Just to add, I'm aware the two tanks I have are on the small side, one being 12l and the other 17l. I am waiting on my friend to bring over a tank she no longer uses which is 3ft x 1.5ft x 1ft roughly. Any tips on the set up of this tank will also be much appreciated. Such as placement of filter and heater, lighting, plant and ornament placement etc and of course the more important upkeep of the tank once it's running. I only have two Danio and three platy that will be going in there. I've been told it could be wise to add a few more of each as they prefer to group together. Any more advice on this and anything else to add to the tank would also be great :)

3. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

They look like all females
    And are very healthy, just the 3rd Platy is just a little skinny,
    I'd feed a bit more for that Platy

:)

4. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thank you thefishdude277 :)

Any signs of pregnancy? Would be from previous contact in the pet store obviously, being all female.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would say the first two look a bit pregnant. Most females will come from the store pregnant, and they can store sperm for several months so expect babies even though there's no male.

6. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thanks anders247 :)

I'm expecting myself, beginning of September, so there could be LOTS of lovely babies in my near future :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats!

8. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

I wouldn't worry about the skinny platy. I've noticed some of mine are pigs that eat like teenage boys and some eat like teenage girls lol. I'm sure she's fine. And congrats btw!

9. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Lol thanks Lisa :)

10. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

thefishdude277

Hi, just thought I'd ask your opinion since I took your advice and just tried feeding a bit more to my skinny platy..

I've kept a close eye, made sure she eats properly, which she does, her belly bloats a bit when she's ate and is full but she just hasn't grown and her body shape hasn't changed/matured the slightest bit, whereas the other two have grown and are looking more mature. I now know they weren't pregnant, probably just stuffed.

She also behaves differently from the other two female platys. She occasionally joins in their behaviour, sticks with them, grazes, but more often she just swims up and down the height of the tank next to the glass. Not so much side to side or in an exploratory manor. She sleeps when and as the other two do though. I just find her noticeably different but I'm not sure if it's normal or if she's a bit of a "runt" or has a problem or deformity?

11. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

They're in a cycled 17l tank by themselves (3 female platy) with gravel, bridge, rock, elodea & a few snail hitchhikers awaiting to be moved to my 110l when it's cycled and will be adding more fish to that gradually beginning with two already owned danios, then 4 more danios to complete school, so on..

12. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Just when I started thinking my platys definitely won't have fry, I'm starting to wonder about one of them again :/

I've had them for 6 weeks on Monday and unless I totally missed it, I'm pretty sure none of them have had fry so far.

One of them has been acting a bit odd the last few days. She has separated herself quite a lot, hiding and just hovering about in the corner or plant sleeping, and sometimes sits at the top of the tank for a bit. This morning I found her literally buried down into the gravel head first at the side of the tank at the bottom of a plant. She looked dead and really wedged in, I was gutted, and thought oh no she's been acting odd I wonder if she was ill, but I moved the plant a bit and she swam off and carried on as normal!

She shows no signs of being unhealthy that I can see and is in good cycled water and eating normally. She looks slightly square today.

13. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

These are the best pics I can get at the moment
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439043638.650116.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439043654.825816.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439043676.417216.jpg

14. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

You have two female Variatus platies, and your "skinny Platy" is a female or unsexed Swordtail. Note the distance between the anal fin and the base of the tail. In maculatus platies, which are the most common, it is very short. Variatus have a slightly longer body, and a slightly longer distance between these fins. Swordtails are even more elongate, and the caudal peduncle looks thinner and longer relative to the total body length.

Many of the domestic strains of all three have had genes bred into them from other species, but they have been line bred back to produce a fish that is mostly one species. Variatus Platies used to be identified as such in stores, but for a long time it was rare to find any at all. I am glad to see that they are making a comeback somewhere; I just wish they would remember to properly identify them. They do better with Swordtails than they do with maculatus Platies, as both prefer harder and cooler waters.

15. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Oh wow thanks for that. They were labelled as variatus platy. All from the same tank. Pretty sure the little guy, or swordtail, is female. Doesn't have a gonopodium. Can you give me any more insight on their breeding and birthing habits? I know the basics but I'm still questioning whether any of them will have fry. Thanks

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The last set of photos look like a female that is gravid. I would isolate her in another tank, if possible, or at least make sure there's lots of bushy plants in the tank with them. Otherwise the other fish in the tank are likely to eat the fry almost as quickly as they are born. I've had variatus take a bit longer than regular platies to drop their fry, but it shouldn't be too long.

Unsexed swordtail males do not yet have a gonopodium. They are not born that way, it develops somewhere between 4 and 12 months of age. Also, even virgin female swordtails will show something similar to a small gravid spot, and your fish shows no sign of that yet, either. So I would guess it is still unsexed.

The other reason I'm fairly sure it is a swordtail is the scattered green iridescent spangles in the black area. These are almost always seen on black Swordtails, rare on either of the Platy species.

17. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thank you, this is really interesting and good to know. The swordtail does look young so maybe we will have a male on our hands after all! Could the swordtail then mate with the variatus platies? I will try and isolate the gravid platy but I only have a cycled 17l with the 2 platy and swordtail in, a cycled 12l with 2 danio in and an un cycled 110l. The 110 is pretty close to being cycled though I think, would it be reasonable to put the danios in there a bit early for this reason?

18. Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis Valued Member Member

I had a few females from a strain of Mickey Mouse Platy that each took about eight weeks between drops of fry, much longer than what you usually read but they all kept ticking at about eight weeks.

19. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Ahh ok that's good to know. It's easy to read a lot of info online and start to assume that it's exact and will be the same for every fish and its owner but I'm learning that they're actually all very different and to only use the general facts and figures as guidelines! My platies and danios are definitely continuing to surprise and educate me! I'll update if my platies ever do drop fry! I'll probably need all the help I can get if they do!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice