Question My new Platy addition is doing something weird with my guppy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I added a new platy the other day, a little female, and I currently have the male platy seperated to try and get him to stop being aggressive towards her.
Naturally I have been spending some time watching her to make sure that she is eating and doing ok, and I have noticed what I think is some really weird behavior between my female guppy and my female platy.
The guppy will spot her, swim up to her, and start nibbling (?) on her I guess? The platy will actually lay sideways and let the guppy pick at her a few times before she rights herself. The whole thing only takes about 30 seconds but the reason I think it isn't a violent thing is because the platy doesn't swim away immediately. When the male was stocking her, as soon as she spotted him she bolted before he could get to her. With this guppy, when she sees her coming she doesn't really make an effort to get away.

What the heck could this be? Grooming? Do fish groom eachother?? That seems odd.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a question: Do guppies groom eachother?
mine are always "grooming" eachother..but its more the males looking for ready females, and females creating a pecking order...its not grooming per say, but does look like it

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting....Cuz my Female guppy is grooming my female platy, I think.
The guppy will swim up to the platy, and the platy will actually lay on her side and let the guppy pick at her a bit.

Its weird.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting....Cuz my Female guppy is grooming my female platy, I think.
The guppy will swim up to the platy, and the platy will actually lay on her side and let the guppy pick at her a bit.

Its weird.
that doesnt sound normal to me....the laying on the side and picking is very unnormal....do a quick check of water parimeters to make sure nothing snuck up on ya!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thats what I thought! The male platy doesn't like this new female so he is in time out currently, and since he has been there she has been swimming around alot, she looks healthy and is eating well.
So does the guppy.....I almost don't know what to think. None of the fish do this with eachother, the guppy doesn't even do it to the other guppy! Its just the two fish....
I'll check my water and see if anything is amiss, it should take a few minutes. I just did a water change 2 days ago though so I don't think anything should be wrong...
But I'll check!

I just finished checking, and it looks good. Ammonia-0 Nitrites-0-Nitrates-between 5 and 10, and PH is 7.5

I dunno, I've seen the way she bolts from the male platy when he comes near, because she knows he is going to attack her. But when the girl guppy swims towards her, she just stays there. The guppy will sort of nibble on her tummy, and in response the platy will lay sideways and let her pick once or twice more before she rights herself and swims away a little bit.
Its happened 6 times that I have caught since I have had her (2 days) and she doesn't look like she has ich or anything (No rubbing on anything, no spots) And she is eating and exploring just fine.
To me it almost reminded me of when birds preen eachother, and I read that fish sometimes do that in social situations, I just couldn't find any information on guppies specifically. Because the platy doesn't do that to any of the fish, and the guppy doesn't do it to any of the other fish. So I think it has something to do with these two fish together.

I just am curious to see if this is a guppy behavior or something??

Hello Tatty,
I merged your posts since they were back to back to save a little space.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had male swordtails do that to other female platies and female swortails. The female doesn't seem to mind. I assumed it was a territorial male thing, show his dominance/or her showing submition.

Now when it comes to female guppies when they get closier to the time when they dump thier fry (they get passive), they like to rest or sit in one place for a minute. If a fish starts bothering them a little to much during this time, the female will push that fish away by poking her head into the side of the body of that other fish.

I’m starting to think that you have the most unique fish on this forum, LOL.

Have you looked close to the new female platy's body, is there any kind of growth or damage?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes it is, however originally when I had asked "do guppies groom eachother?" It was in response to a gentleman that had posted saying he is a guppy breeder and he knows alot about them and to please ask any questions and he will try to answer them.
So...I figured since nobody else really knew and he put it out there for people to ask, I asked him if guppies groomed eachother.
I don't know if someone moved my post somewhere else or something, but my only intention was to ask that guy if he knew, she he said he was experienced.

I posted this one first, no one said anything. So I asked him.

Sorry.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No problem, I moved your question out of that thread into a thread of it's own. That particular member has not signed on in a couple of weeks.
Any questions belong in the proper forum, otherwise you might not get the help/information you're looking for.
A member should not exclusively try to take over questions about any fish by asking them to post questions in their thread rather than the proper forum.
If they want to help, they can go to the forum of their choice and answer questions posted there.

Anyway, back on topic.
I'll merge your two threads.

Good luck with your fish.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you!
I was kinda confused, because I thought I had only created one and responded to one about the same topic, I didn't mean to create a stir

As far as having odd fish, I think I might now too!! I still have that guppy with the reappearing/disappearing spot on his body, the female has started doing it too!!

But thats beside the point, I took a few pics of my new platy, it might be a bit blurry but hey thats macbook:

She seems pretty normal to me, just a bit small because she is young. She is clean looking, no damage or anything, no unusual bumps or spots, she looks pretty healthy.

I don't see anything the guppy could even pick off of her, and she doesn't look injured after the guppy is done.....doing whatever it is she is doing.

I wish I knew how to record video on this laptop, otherwise I could probably show you within an hour or so because as soon as that guppy gets close to her, she usually does the whole grooming thing. Its weird.
I'd be confident in saying it must be grooming, but why wouldn't the other fish be doing it with eachother?? you'd think I would of caught them at least once over the past two months.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah it is her coloration, she is like a dark blue, with a light blue streak ontop, and then her head is grey and it kinda speckles off.
She looks quite healthy, she's just being weird with the guppies.
It is actually both the female and male that have now started doing it. I've noticed that she actually starts to lay on her side the second they get within an inch and a half of her, like she's expecting them to swim over and peck at her.

I dunno, I think its weird, it doesn't look like they are hurting her, she doesn't look stressed or anything. Maybe it is like saying hello....?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I managed to figure out how to take a video with my laptop sort of!!!
It only happens in the first 10 seconds or so and my bf is talking on the phone in the background so don't mind that, but you can see how she swims up to the platy and, yeah I dunno she lays down and lets her nibble her?
The male has started doing it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZELR3MzoD78

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You know I think it might be a pecking order thing. For example, my dog is a dominant dog and when my sisters cat is around anytime Squirt (the dog) comes by Alley (the cat) goes belly up, lets Squirt sniff her and then they continue on with their lives (they are buddies but I swear they do this daily lol). I would assume fish might do the same. IE the guppies might be dominant in this tank for whatever reason. Keep an eye on it to make sure the pecking doesn't get worse.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
are you sure she's letting her intentionally? It looks like she's in rest mode so she may be taken by surprise.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you might be right on the pecking order thing, because I have noticed that she will actually lay on her side when even the tetras swim by. They don't even aknowledge her, it is like she is doing it on instinct because she feels threatened maybe?
I plan on buying another two platys today, a female and a male, and I am hoping that might help.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've noticed something kind of like this between two male platys in my 20g, except without the nibbling. It really reminds me of the interaction between alpha wolf and omega wolf but I'm not sure if platys have such complex social interactions. But maybe they do.

-Lisa

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I read an article online about how fish interact socially and different behaviors, granted this study was about a totally different kind of fish, they did describe something similar as being a pecking order sort of thing.
I think she might just feel intimidated, I am trying to deal with it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom