My new Panda Cories!!!

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So today I got eight Panda Cories (four in my 20g, four in my 10g)... two of them are acting a little weird, and might not make it. But I am hopping that they will pull through. However the four in the 20 gallon appear to be happier than the cories in the 10g... so I am curious if it would be to much of a bio-load on the 20 gallon if I put the cories from the 10 gallon in the 20 gallon without a bio-crash... the are pretty small(about a half inch), so I don't know yet...

I would like to also add to those of you who are thinking on getting Panda Cories, but aren't sure... I would say... GET THEM... of course provided you have the right requirements and fish compatibility,,, They stay small, and are a great challenge to master... because if you can master the smaller challenges... than the larger ones get that much easier! Plus it is cool to study their habits. Mine take "shifts" watching my cory that is kinda sick, and makes sure that they stay upright and move around a little every once in a while. I love my panda cories, now I just need them to breed...LOL

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Way cool. Congratulations! And thanks for the insights on watching them.

If you can, post pictures....would LOVE to see them!

Landozer18

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hope they all survive wish I had advice for you, no corries ever for me though

OUTINFRONT

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congrats on the new fish hope they make it.. Noticed that nursing behavior with my goldfish my first two fish one got sick and would lie on the bottom an the other would swim under him and push him up he\she did it up until it died.He or boobers don't laugh went to that same corner for days after his buddy past in what seemed like looking for him..Is this normal as I never knew fish had such personalities AND EMOTIONS..?

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks you guys... I will post pictures tomorrow... One observation about the cories I forgot to post... it appears that the young panda cory has patches of black marks (rather than the black stripes, and are more albino in color (compared to their mature pinkish color), you will see tomorrow... I can't wait to share!!!!

OUTINFRONT said:
Congrats noticed that nursing behavior with my goldfish my first two fish one got sick and would lie on the bottom an the other would swim under him and push him up he\she did it up until it died.He or boobers don't laugh went to that same corner for days after his buddy past in what seemed like looking for him..Is this normal as I never knew fish had such personalities..?
My panda cories did that when I had four(then two) they acted a little weird for about a week, then went back to normal... I would say it is normal for social fish...

P.S. to OUTINFRONT... welcome to fishlore!!!!

OUTINFRONT

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
apple429 said:
P.S. to OUTINFRONT... welcome to fishlore!!!!
Thanks it is a lot better then just reading post and wondering about stuff,glad I joined.HOPEFULLY ONE DAY I WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD BESIDES GRIEF OF MY WATER PARAMETERS..

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should be grateful that you joined while you are still new in the hobby... I wish I had fishlore when I first started!!! lol

gourami88

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
8 in a 20g. should be fine. I've kept 10 pandas in a 20g. with no problems, considering they don't get large.

Heather12404

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love my panda cories too. They are so adorable and I love how they hang out together and swim together.
I have 10 of them in my 29G.

OUTINFRONT

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
apple429 said:
You should be grateful that you joined while you are still new in the hobby... I wish I had fishlore when I first started!!! lol
I guess I used to have tanks as a teen and it seemed easier not knowing all this info..simply set up tank add fish and wait for a bunch to die add more and wonder why,now knowing all this info scares me..I used to buy fancy gold fish at 50 cents a piece now they are $10 plus tax so I have little room for trial and error.Still can't believe how Boobers don't laugh took to his friend...He now has a new buddy who is smaller and follows him every where looking out for him..Amazing in my mind as I thought they were just fish..

Brainlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love Panda Cories!!! Congratulations on your new babies. They are the most entertaining little fish, active and curious. I have 8 or 9 in my 120 gallon and they are too cute!! Mine like Algae Wafers and also shrimp pellets... you may like to try those too.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is one of the two that I already had in my tank... notice how pink he is! Sorry about the blurry photos... these guys are always moving.

Attachments

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brainlady said:
....Mine like Algae Wafers and also shrimp pellets... you may like to try those too.
I have had two for about three months now, and they LOVE algae wafers, and some blood worms occasionally..

If you look at the younger ones, they are more whiter than the pinker more mature cory's... They also have black "tinted" marks on them, and the black stripes aren't as fully as the mature panda... just some notes I've observed...

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So today I found two of my pandas dead BUT!!! I went to my LFS and they replaced them with two new ones the are actually younger and smaller than the previous two... so there pro's and con's to everything I guess!!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've found Panda Corys to be a little delicate.

I hope they all do well for you and no other losses.

OP
apple429

apple429

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks.. I have had my previous two for about three months, and they are doing great.. I believe that the move (from the dealer to my lfs) is the most stressful...

New Threads