my new pacu

moparman01
I recently purchased a new red belly pacu. have a 29 gallon tank how soon will I need to put him in a bigger tank. will he fine for a month or so

Shawnie
WELCOME to fishlore

GOT PICS?? I bet its beautiful!! but I would say at least a 50 gallon for him ...my dad swore 100 gal were best for pacu's ...I wish!! ...goodluck!!

ps ...how big is he now?? and if not adult, for a month should be ok

Chief_waterchanger
... Pacu need atleast 400 gallons per fish as full grown adults and are a schooling fish. Within a year it will need a 100-200g tank.

Kept in anything smaller than that is not only cruel, but an eventual death sentence for the fish.

MissMTS
I saw my first full grown pacu at the LFS the other day. It was HUGE! I'm talking 2 feet long. You will definetly need a giant tank for this fish, but if you can swing the cost of it, it will be a pretty amazing tank

Chief_waterchanger
I would love to have a 2500g tank for a school of them. They have such large brains (compaired to smaller fish) that they are one of the more social types of fish. One could easily form significant bonds with a Pacu, but it is a lot of financial responsibility to house and feed such a critter.

Moparman, if you don't have the means to provide such care, perhaps the store would take the fish back, or you could find a fish club that may have someone that raises them.

moparman01
thank you everyone for your comments and help why does everyone try to scare people away from pacu fish well I have the means to fully house plenty of pacu fish and I look forward to doing it

WELCOME to fishlore

GOT PICS?? I bet its beautiful!! but I would say at least a 50 gallon for him ...my dad swore 100 gal were best for pacu's ...I wish!! ...goodluck!!

ps ...how big is he now?? and if not adult, for a month should be ok

thank you you seem really nice and and helpful I will post pics soon

sirdarksol
I responded to this in the thread that you recently responded to, but I'll add a little here.

We're not trying to scare people off. We're letting them know what the fish will need. Unfortunately, because these fish need such a huge amount of space, this may seem like scaring people off.
The majority of us have the opinion that (or at least, those of us who have discussed it in other threads), since we have taken it upon ourselves to purchase these fish and keep them for our own amusement, it is our responsibility to properly care for them.
Since a fish is stressed at any point that there is too much ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates in the water, and they will build up too quickly if the fish is too large for the tank, and since a fish is stressed at any point it doesn't have enough swimming room, we feel that it is irresponsible to not be one step ahead of the fish's space/bioload needs.
I currently have a koi that is in a too-small tank because I wasn't aware of its needs. I have a 200 gallon tank coming for it as soon as it's warm enough to move the tank around. Every day, I regret the impulse to buy the poor thing, and every day, I curse the Petsmart employee who told me that he would be fine in a community tank. It was a mistake made over a year ago, in the beginning of my journey in the hobby, and I've learned a lot since then. I would rather help keep other people from making the same kinds of mistakes than encourage them, which will just cause more pain for fish and aquarist alike.

Butterfly
Well put Sirdarksol.
Moparman01 - We would really be interested in your plans for your Pacu. They have such beautiful personalities and are truly one of the "gentle giants".
Carol

Bonochick
I have the means to fully house plenty of pacu fish and I look forward to doing it

Moparman01 - We would really be interested in your plans for your Pacu. They have such beautiful personalities and are truly one of the "gentle giants".

I agree, that's pretty cool that you have the space/time/money for a tank (or tanks?) of such a size, I'd love to see what you do!

Shawnie
I'm only nice on weds my kids say..and I was sayin as a baby and only one fish...wasn't talking bout schools or for adults...sowwwy ...still would love to see pics tho

jamison
I recently purchased a new red belly pacu. have a 29 gallon tank how soon will I need to put him in a bigger tank. will he fine for a month or so

I can't wait to see the pics! I also have a couple of new Pacu in a 29 and am already shopping for a 250

sirdarksol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pacumom
Replies
Views
McFly
Replies
Views
FishesInTank
Replies