My new new new new new tank stocking idea.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 22, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

2 honey gouramis (centerpiece)
    6-8 corys (panda if I can get a good deal on them, bronze and albinos or skunks if not)
    10 neon tetras
    6-8 harlequin rasboras
    10-20 rcs
    1-3 mystery snails (purple if I can get them)

Okay, so A) how do I sex the honey gouramis? B) will the honey gouramis eat my neons? C) what is a skunk Cory? My LFS has them, but I don't really know what they are.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank in question?

3. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

29 gallons, sorry!

4. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Anybody there?

5. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I need assistance......

6. Lisa MacAlpine

Lisa MacAlpine Valued Member Member

Give 'em time. :) It's a busy weekend.

I'm not real qualified to help, but it sounds like that plan would be overstocking if you go by the most basic 1in of fish to 1gal of water rule. There are new limits to go by and species specific considerations, but usually they involve giving the fish more than just the basic amount of space.

7. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Haha I know, just giving them a hard time. :p And I've been told that the 1in of fish/gallon is an inaccurate way of stocking.

8. Lisa MacAlpine

Lisa MacAlpine Valued Member Member

Okay. Cool. :) Hopefully someone will come along soon.

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Emily :)
    Honey gouramis are one of the most peaceful kind of gourami so they would work re sexing usually it's the dorsal fin triangular pointy edge for males but I've never kept them so I'm not an expert I've only had dwarf gourami.

Personally I would not do neons lots of inbreeding in the industry and just do the harlequins 8 would work.

Corydoras pandas are quite sensitive and can be difficult to keep and smaller than the more common species with corys they like allot of swimming space and sand is the preferred substrate as there barbels can wear down with sharp gravel.

Bandit corys are a different colour variation of cory they are white with black stripes. If you want corys a group if 6 or more are better but if you can post the measurements of your tank footprint we can advise better :)

The gourami shouldn't eat the smaller fish.

In a 29 I would just have 2 mystery snails as they have a high bioload they eat to poop ;)

As far as the rcs go I can't advise as I've never kept shrimp but I hope my advice helped :)

10. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I was going to use sand anyways, good to hear it's better! I was thinking Tahitian moon sand actually. And I guess I'll probably go with Skunks or just Bronze and Albinos. As for the tank, it's just going to be a normal 29 gallon, I'm not sure exactly what the measurements would be, I don't have it yet. I've really got my heart set on neons as well. What exactly are the risks with keeping them?

Thanks for all your help :)

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think your stock list is fine.

You can read up on the various Cory's you might want on planetcatfish.com. The gouramis will not eat your other fish, but they will likely pick off shrimp. Might be a good idea to get the gouramis last, so that the cherry shrimp colony has time to establish itself.

Some people have great trouble keeping neons - others have no trouble at all. It's all a matter of the quality of stock you start with. Buying big is the way to go in my opinion - you don't know how small ones will turn out.

12. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Oh okay thanks for the link! I'll definitely check that out. :) By "pick off shrimp", do you mean that they'll eat them all or just snack on one here and there? And I'll try to buy the biggest neons I can and see how it goes. :) Do you think that this order is a good order of introduction?

Neons
    Shrimp
    Harlequins
    Cories
    Gouramis
    Snails

All these will be at least a week apart or so, or at least until the ammonia spike calms down each time. I picked the neons first because They're little and they'll have a little bit of time to grow before I add the others.

The Shrimp second because there will be a little bit of waste in the tank that will start to grow micro flora and fauna that I've heard they thrive on, also they'll have time to get a good breeding colony going.

The Harlequins third because they're a small fish that won't threaten my shrimp colony and they'll have some time to grow before I add the bigger fish.

Then the cories. They're third because by this point my plants should have had AMPLE time to establish good root systems so the cories won't be able to root up my plants too easily.

After the cory ammonia spike I'll add my Gouramis. I'm going to get a male/female pair probably, and if I can't get a female I'll just settle for two males. ;) Not a big deal.

And then my snails last. I'll only add two to this tank and one to my betta tank (Which I'm working on. I'll probably make a separate thread for that.) They come in a group of three, and they're purple! <3

So does this look okay? :)

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, it looks fine to me. I would suggest waiting for a month between additions. Only bad things can happen from stocking too quickly, and while you are right on about the ammonia, there are more reasons to wait than just that. Some fish take weeks to settle in, and some problems take weeks to develop. I know it's hard to wait, but it really is what's best. Well, BEST would be quarantining new fish, but that still requires waiting.

14. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I don't have the means the quarantine, but I'll definitely be careful. I'll watch the ammonia carefully as well as the fish. I'll wait until each species has settled in and is active and not hiding, then I'll add the next bunch. I've learned the hard way in the past that patience is key. I bred a pair of my budgies a little too soon, and my hen abandoned her three youngest chicks. I will wait as long as I have to for my fish to be safely established. :)

15. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I would exercise caution in having neons with gouramis. Tetras tend to like to nip long fins, and the front fins of the gouramis are very tempting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice