my new nano 2.5 gallon

Discussion in 'Nano Saltwater Tanks' started by andimthejr, Apr 14, 2010.

1. andimthejrNew MemberMember

just set it up! about an hour ago! let the cycle begin!

Attached Files:

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

cool...

3. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

What are you planning to have in there?

4. Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

I would say not very much! To small if you ask me! But I have seen smaller. Lol

5. andimthejrNew MemberMember

few small corals and a invert

6. andimthejrNew MemberMember

not too small i have a 70 gallon , a 40 gallon fw tanks, i was inspired when i walked into a fish store and seen this little 2 gallon reef tank full of life and thriving and thats when i decided i had to have one! they so beautiful as the big tank but something about it kinda "had me at hello"

7. Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Good luck on the tank. i have seen these as well at LFS and they are cool but I didn't ask anything about it not sure of up keep on water seams to me that it may be more time spent.can't wait to here about it in the future keep us posted!

8. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I've kept a reef in a 2.5 gallon. I didn't upgrade because it was unmanageable, but because the limitations of the tank's size just got a little old after a while. It's definitely doable, but it does require more attention than a larger system just because it is inherently less stable.

A group of sexy shrimp would look awesome in there with some easy corals like zoanthids and mushrooms. :)

9. Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

I kinda figured that one! I tried a 5.5 and was to much to handle. But if you do it right it can be acheived but alot of work!! Takes alot of water changes and it can happen just depends on owner if they want to try!! I would say on this subject it is alot to be said if willing.Lol If willing that's cool to acheive so little water and be successful!!!

10. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

I have a 2.5 gallon tank at the moment that I started not too long ago. The only issue that I have at the moment is not enough water movement in the inside the tank. I am looking for the smallest powerhead I can use that will provide enough water movement. I have cyano bacteria due to insuficient water movement. I want to use a powerhead but I do not want to take too much from the volume, the tank is small as it is, let alone adding a powerhead. What kind of water movement are you looking to have and how are you giong to achieve it?

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I love sexy shrimp

12. andimthejrNew MemberMember

i have a small filter thats made for a 10 to twenty gallon tank with adjustable water flow i have it set 1/4 up from lowest flow and it seems perfect

13. Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Use the Koralia nano propellar head! It's made by HYDOR.

14. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Yeah I looked into those but they are still a little bulky. Recently I have seen two powerheads come into the market. One is made by Aqueon and the other I am not sure. I do, however, believe that they are made by the same parent company. They are a bit smaller than the Hydor ones and pump more water aswell. Kind of pricey too around $40 USA dollars.

15. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Do you know what is the water flow rate (gph) of the filter. I am ging to try to achieve around 250-400 gph inside the tank. I find that when I use bigger filters in smaller tanks it tend to push the sand too much were the water if returning from the filter into the tank. Eventually it creates a depression on the sand at that spot. I had this problem on my 5.5 gallon tank. That is why I want to find a powerhead that I can use. I find it that it is better waterflow when it is just skimming over the top surface of the sand witha slight tilt to the top and not the bottom. It kind of creates a flow similar to a river but it really creates a current above the sand instead of into the sand.

16. Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Use a whisper or penguin hang on the back filter and use no pads the smallest you can find this will work!

17. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Hey did not think about that. I would have one concern thoug. Being that the tanks are so small, I think that would create a spot of no sand where the water comes into the tank. I will try it though ans see what happens.

18. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Aquaclear 20 works great also. I used one on a 2.5 gallon pico reef and it was perfect for my tank (100 gph). I filled the media chamber with live rock rubble for a little added bio filtration.

19. Mystic54Valued MemberMember

Any updates on this tank? I'm interested to see how the progression is going.

20. andimthejrNew MemberMember

Tank is full of life!!!! Doing great so far these corals live inside! Two medium sized rocks with zoos, one small finger leather that is growing amazingly, frag of ricordia, green starburst, pulsing xenIA 2 snails 2 peppermint Shrimp 2 hermit crabs and a fromia sorry for the typing I'm on this iPad pictures to be posted soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice