Help My New Male Betta Is Sick With Something I Cant Figure Out. Please Help.

LagerthaM

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just recently bought a new male crown tail marble coloration betta and I have a few concerns about him that I am hoping someone can help me with.
Before I purchased him I noticed that he had some health problems that I addressed as soon as I got him home. For the last week, I have been treating him with API Melafix, it is supposed to help with Finrot and Popeye, I have also been feeding him a mixture of Tetra Betta Small Pellets and Tetra Freeze Dried blood worms. While looking at him in his little plastic cup that they store them in at the pet store I bought him from I noticed a piece of his tail literally fall off and float to the top of his cup. His left eye is also bulged out really badly, there is no white ring around it like I have seen before in cases of Popeye so I don't know what it is that is causing it. My betta is also really small, 1.5-2 inches in the body, but has a full crown tail and all of his colorations, which makes me think he is older. All of my other males were 2-3 inches plus when I first bought them, so I am confused by his small size, is he a baby?
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank: 1.5 gallons (I plan to move him to a 5 gallon once he is healed).

How long has the tank been running? About a week and a half.

Does it have a filter? It does not have a filter, it has two snails that I use to help with algae.

Does it have a heater? No, I ordered one that will be here at the end of the week, for now, he is next to my heater, his tank is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

What is the water temperature? 76-78 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One male betta, two mystery snails, a small hide that is made from ceramic, I believe, and two soft artificial plants. There is also about a cup of fish gravel that you get at Walmart and some larger stones.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I have not changed the water entirely yet, I have just finished his treatment for fin rot and Popeye, and have only done a 25% water change.

How much of the water do you change? 25%

What do you use to treat your water? I treat my water with Tetra Aqua Safe for Bettas.

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Neither.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, I did not. It was a completely new tank that had never been used.

What do you use to test the water? I did not test the water like I normally would (I usually do a PH check), I was in a hurry to get the little guy out of the plastic bag that the store gave me to transport him in, I was worried that he did not have enough oxygen. Normally, the water that I use (tap) is high in chlorine but has a normal PH. I treated the water for chlorine before adding my fish.

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. The PH is usually at 7.0 and I do not know the chlorine levels, I get my water from the city water source.

Ammonia: Not Sure
Nitrite: Not Sure
Nitrate: Not Sure
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? I feed him 3 small betta pellets in the morning, and one small pinch of blood worms in the evening. I plan to feed him more when he gets bigger and can eat more heartily.

How much do you feed your fish? 3 betta pellets, and a small number of blood worms.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra for both
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? I have had him for about a week and a half

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? I noticed them before I bought him, I thought he would have a better chance with me than at a pet store that would just let him die.

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? His left eye is bulging out of his head. It is black with no white ring around it and no clouding. I have been treating him for Popeye for the last week with no change.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, for the last week I have been treating him with APU Melafix.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, he had fin rot and what I thought was Popeye. He has never acted lethargic or refused to eat, however.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He is more active since I treated his fin rot and his colors are brighter since he is getting better nutrition, however, I think he may be blind in his left eye from all the bulging.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

When I first bought my fish he was acting normally for a male betta, cresting, and "dancing" around his cup. I was not intending to buy a betta that day, but then I saw that a peice of his fin fell of and was floating at the top of his cup and that his left eye was bulging out. I have treated him for the last week and his fin rot is gone, he is not lethargic and is eating well. His left eye is bulged out and he is very small.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So there are a few things I see here. You definitely want to move him to a bigger tank as soon as you can because no fish can live in a 1.5 gallon tank. Mystery snails are massive waste producers and having two in there with him means there'd be a lot of ammonia produced. Along with the fact you don't have a filter in there means that you'd have to do daily 50% water changes, maybe even twice a day just to make sure the water quality safe.

I also see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle in your profile. It's an important part of your filtration system as the filter will house beneficial bacteria which converts the toxic ammonia into less toxic compounds to later be removed during a water change. It's important to invest in a liquid test kit to help accurately monitor these parameters to keep them within safe levels.

Melafix is not a recommended 'medication' as it's just some diluted essential oil and the effectiveness of it in the aquarium isn't clear. At best it should only be used as an an antiseptic. As for treating the popeye, Kanaplex is effective for it as it's easily absorbed internally. Epsom salt baths (1TBSP/Gallon for 10-15 minutes) can be used to relieve some fluid retention from the eye if needed. He could just be small because he's stunted.

OP
LagerthaM

LagerthaM

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Repolie said:
So there are a few things I see here. You definitely want to move him to a bigger tank as soon as you can because no fish can live in a 1.5 gallon tank. Mystery snails are massive waste producers and having two in there with him means there'd be a lot of ammonia produced. Along with the fact you don't have a filter in there means that you'd have to do daily 50% water changes daily, maybe even twice a day just to make sure the water quality safe.

I also see that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle in your profile. It's an important part of your filtration system as the filter will house beneficial bacteria which converts the toxic ammonia into less toxic compounds to later be removed during a water change. It's important to invest in a liquid test kit to help accurately monitor these parameters to keep them within safe levels.

Melafix is not a recommended 'medication' as it's just some diluted essential oil and the effectiveness of it in the aquarium isn't clear. At best it should only be used as an an antiseptic. As for treating the popeye, Kanaplex is effective for it as it's easily absorbed internally. Epsom salt baths (1TBSP/Gallon for 10-15 minutes) can be used to relieve some fluid retention from the eye if needed. He could just be small because he's stunted.

Thanks for all the advice. I plan to move him to a bigger tank when he gets better, I didn't think I could keep as good of an eye on him in a bigger tank. As for a filter, I will get on that, the filter that came with the tank I have was too strong for him. I will move the mystery snails, they were only in there because I honestly didn't know what else to do with them. The pet store I bought him from told me that I had to have them for a betta tank, I knew it was kind of sketchy and that they might have something to do with it. I thank you again for all of your advice.

New Threads