My New Little Baby!! Carpintis Texas | Page 2

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by schmalzy_x0, Mar 24, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

That's awesome. I am not good at picking names. My Jack Dempsey is named Jack, my Green Terror is named Greeny, my Oscar is named Osky Hahaha you get the point. And when I ask my son he wants to name every fish Ripsaw or killer haha typically 4 year old boy. Definitely nice to hear other suggestions!

2. Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

Lol that’s too funny! Gotta love kids!

3. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ok this is what I mean about the white head and it almost looks like it has a black mustache haha!! It looks so funny! And I think we decided to name him or her Snow. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!
    Kind of a blurry picture, sorry. Poor little guy does not like my phone lol! Pretty cool looking fish!! Very excited to see him grow big!!! :):)

Is Cyano still classified as a green Texas? Or is it just a normal Texas cichlid or something different? Sorry, I can't find any good info about them online.

Attached Files:

4. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Officially it’s the Rio Grande Cichlid, but both it and carpintis get called Texas, Green Texas and Blue Texas. Cyanoguttatus usually has green dots but they can be blue. Same for carpintis. The common names are very confusing.

5. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ok thanks!

6. Thedudeiam94

Have you decided on a name for your fish yet?!

7. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Yep.. we named him or her Snow. Just because it's white and black with blue dots. Looks like a little snow blizzard lol! Thanks for your suggestions. :)

8. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

So I had the Texas in my qt tank for 2 weeks (not sure if that was long enough). I treated it with levamisole and prazipro.. not at the same time obviously. Anyway it didn't have any problems at all so I put it in my 80 gallon a few days ago to grow out. Eventually it will go in my 125 gallon but its way too small right now. Anyway Snow instantly fell in love with my female Convict Purdy. It follows her around everywhere, shakes/twitches infront of her and twitches and moves rocks infront of her lol! It's funny because Purdy is sooo much bigger than Snow lol! At first Purdy didn't want anything to do with it but now she is warming up. My question is can a Texas and convict breed?? I have heard that convicts pretty much breed with anything but a Texas gets so big lol, I didn't think it was possible.

Not saying that they are a pair or anything. I still don't even know the sex of the Texas. I was just curious if they could possibly breed. But I googled it and it seems like they sure can. Thanks anyway!

9. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

10. Fishlover245735

Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Lol that’s so funny!

11. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Haha yeah the Texas does that everytime she comes around!

12. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Getting bigger!! Grew about double the size since I got it!!! 20190411_142433.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Getting more sparkly!! :):)

14. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

My Texas and Convict laid eggs!!! Soo cool! Going to be a cool looking hybrid!!

15. Thedudeiam94

I’m jelly!

16. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Actually, it's nothing new, and it's a rather unattractive hybrid without spangles.

17. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Hahaha ok. Well it's my first spawn ever and I'm excited about it. And I actually saw a Convict/ Texas hybrid that looked like a Convict but had spangles and it was a beautiful fish. So you never know what it is going to look like. You don't have to be so negative.

I'm excited!! :)

18. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry, I'm a bit off today. Just spent nearly 3 hours at the Secretary of State office getting my driver's license renewed. I was there 15 minutes after they opened, and sat there all morning, waiting, waiting, waiting......

I'm glad that you are excited over having a spawn. I was trying to keep you from being too disappointed with the resulting fry. As hybrids, they can be variable.

19. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Well I'm sorry about your day and I do understand that with hybrids you never know what they are going to look like. But like I said before this is my first spawn and I am very excited.

Last edited: May 30, 2019