My New Little Baby!! Carpintis Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by schmalzy_x0, Mar 24, 2019.

1. schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

I just got a new Carpintis Texas!! I have been looking forever and finally found one!! It is in a qt tank right now. I added a cave for it so it feels safe. It is sooooo small!! I'm going to have to grow it out for awhile before I can put him/her in with my other big cichlids in my 125 gallon.It is seriously the cutest fish ever though!! I'm so excited to see it grow!! What's a cute name for it?? I'm open to suggestions!!

P.s. Sorry about the scratches on the tank for the picture.. I just got a cheap little tank for a qt right now. 20190324_210201.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. Fishlover245735

Fishlover245735Valued MemberMember

Do you know if it’s a male or female? Sorry I don’t know how to sex them myself. Gender would help with the naming:)

3. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

No idea haha. It is way too tiny. I noticed that sometimes it's head gets really white.. (almost like my female eba in a way) so maybe female but honestly I don't know, that's just a guess haha. So unisex names for now. :).

4. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Fred

5. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ohhh Freddy is super cute!

6. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I name all my fish Fred, it drives my wife crazy and gives me a smile at the same time.

7. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

I think that’s cyanoguttatus rather than carpintis.

8. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Really? Well they sold it to me as a carpintis lol. I'll have to do some research. Either way it will be cool. Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ok so yeah I definitely think it looks like a cyanoguttatus as well. What's the difference between the two? The cyano gets bigger correct? Also it seems like my Texas's head is a lot whiter than the rest of the body. Is that a female trait or can males get that as well. Thanks!

10. LA58

LA58Valued MemberMember

Snowflake. It looks like little flakes of white snow on it.

11. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ohhh wow. I love that!!!

12. LA58

LA58Valued MemberMember

You are welcome. Enjoy your new baby.

13. Joe L.

Joe L.New MemberMember

Marley. That can be a guys or girls name :)

14. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

It’s far too young to sex yet. Males get longer fins and the typical bigger head. There’s no colour differences that’ll help sex them.
    They’re pretty much the same, both can get to about a foot long, both eat a wide range of foods including plants, both are very aggressive.

15. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ok thanks!

16. SeanyBaggs123

SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

I don't know anything about cichlids, but my male Boesemani Rainbow's heads get super white in the morning after eating. Usually because they are feeling "randy" and start dancing, chasing, and displaying spawning behavior towards the female..

17. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Marley is cute!

Ok :). I know my Electric Blue Acara gets a white head when she is in breeding mode. But every fish is different. It is very small. I will just have to wait and see. I'm happy either way.

18. Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

Shimmer or Starbug?

19. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

I love shimmer!! So cute!

20. Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

I was trying to come up with a name that corresponded with the look of the fish and would be unisex! That’s just what I first thought of!