My New Little Baby!! Carpintis Texas

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
I just got a new Carpintis Texas!! I have been looking forever and finally found one!! It is in a qt tank right now. I added a cave for it so it feels safe. It is sooooo small!! I'm going to have to grow it out for awhile before I can put him/her in with my other big cichlids in my 125 gallon.It is seriously the cutest fish ever though!! I'm so excited to see it grow!! What's a cute name for it?? I'm open to suggestions!!

P.s. Sorry about the scratches on the tank for the picture.. I just got a cheap little tank for a qt right now.
20190324_210201.jpg

Fishlover245735

Reaction score
Do you know if it’s a male or female? Sorry I don’t know how to sex them myself. Gender would help with the naming

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Fishlover245735 said:
Do you know if it’s a male or female? Sorry I don’t know how to sex them myself. Gender would help with the naming
No idea haha. It is way too tiny. I noticed that sometimes it's head gets really white.. (almost like my female eba in a way) so maybe female but honestly I don't know, that's just a guess haha. So unisex names for now. .

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I name all my fish Fred, it drives my wife crazy and gives me a smile at the same time.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that’s cyanoguttatus rather than carpintis.

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Coptapia said:
I think that’s cyanoguttatus rather than carpintis.
Really? Well they sold it to me as a carpintis lol. I'll have to do some research. Either way it will be cool. Thanks!!

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Ok so yeah I definitely think it looks like a cyanoguttatus as well. What's the difference between the two? The cyano gets bigger correct? Also it seems like my Texas's head is a lot whiter than the rest of the body. Is that a female trait or can males get that as well. Thanks!

LA58

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snowflake. It looks like little flakes of white snow on it.

LA58

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are welcome. Enjoy your new baby.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
schmalzy_x0 said:
Ok so yeah I definitely think it looks like a cyanoguttatus as well. What's the difference between the two? The cyano gets bigger correct? Also it seems like my Texas's head is a lot whiter than the rest of the body. Is that a female trait or can males get that as well. Thanks!
It’s far too young to sex yet. Males get longer fins and the typical bigger head. There’s no colour differences that’ll help sex them.
They’re pretty much the same, both can get to about a foot long, both eat a wide range of foods including plants, both are very aggressive.

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Coptapia said:
It’s far too young to sex yet. Males get longer fins and the typical bigger head. There’s no colour differences that’ll help sex them.
They’re pretty much the same, both can get to about a foot long, both eat a wide range of foods including plants, both are very aggressive.
Ok thanks!

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
schmalzy_x0 said:
I don't know anything about cichlids, but my male BoesemanI Rainbow's heads get super white in the morning after eating. Usually because they are feeling "randy" and start dancing, chasing, and displaying spawning behavior towards the female..

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Joe L. said:
Marley. That can be a guys or girls name
Marley is cute!

Sean Garland said:
I don't know anything about cichlids, but my male BoesemanI Rainbow's heads get super white in the morning after eating. Usually because they are feeling "randy" and start dancing, chasing, and displaying spawning behavior towards the female..
Ok . I know my Electric Blue Acara gets a white head when she is in breeding mode. But every fish is different. It is very small. I will just have to wait and see. I'm happy either way.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known
Reaction score
schmalzy_x0 said:
I love shimmer!! So cute!
I was trying to come up with a name that corresponded with the look of the fish and would be unisex! That’s just what I first thought of!

New Threads