My new guppy is acting weird!

Hannah1064

Reactions
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? A couple weeks over a month
Does it have a filter? Yes (sponge filter w/ air pump)
Does it have a heater? Yep
What is the water temperature? Always stays at 79 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
7 male fancy guppies

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I just got the guppies a couple days ago, so I don't have a set schedule yet. I'm planning on just keep in an eye on the perimeters and doing wc accordingly, for now. After a couple weeks I'm planning on 20% weekly and 40-50% monthly.
How much of the water do you change? ^
What do you use to treat your water? AQUEN water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I try to do both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I'm 99% sure I got it cycled.
What do you use to test the water? API mater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm (neither has spiked since I got the guppies)
Nitrate: 20-40ppm (I can't get this one to stay down, so it might be the problem)
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch of flakes, they finish it all within a minute or two.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? One of the guppies is hiding in a their cave. He's been in there all morning, he didn't even come out to eat. I finally lifted the rock up a little to much sure he was even in there and he swam out but swam right back in when I put it down.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I don't think so. ( I also didn't get him from a chain pet store, it was from a private store)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No

Explain your emergency situation in detail. My guppy is hiding and not coming out. He just started doing it this morning. He swam around like normal yesterday. When he came out cause I lifted the rock, he was swimming kinda funny. I'm not sure how to explain it, just kinda stiff?? Could he just be stressed with being in a new tank? All the other guppies are all over the place swimming and stuff. However, I am worried about the Nirates, I did a 20% wc yesterday and a 30% wc just now to help keep it down. Is my guppy sick or just stressed??? I have no idea what to do and he's really started to stress me out.

Any help would be great!!!

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? A couple weeks over a month
Does it have a filter? Yes (sponge filter w/ air pump)
Does it have a heater? Yep
What is the water temperature? Always stays at 79 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
7 male fancy guppies

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I just got the guppies a couple days ago, so I don't have a set schedule yet. I'm planning on just keep in an eye on the perimeters and doing wc accordingly, for now. After a couple weeks I'm planning on 20% weekly and 40-50% monthly.
How much of the water do you change? ^
What do you use to treat your water? AQUEN water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I try to do both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I'm 99% sure I got it cycled.
What do you use to test the water? API mater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm (neither has spiked since I got the guppies)
Nitrate: 20-40ppm (I can't get this one to stay down, so it might be the problem)
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch of flakes, they finish it all within a minute or two.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraMin
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 2 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? One of the guppies is hiding in a their cave. He's been in there all morning, he didn't even come out to eat. I finally lifted the rock up a little to much sure he was even in there and he swam out but swam right back in when I put it down.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I don't think so. ( I also didn't get him from a chain pet store, it was from a private store)
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No

Explain your emergency situation in detail. My guppy is hiding and not coming out. He just started doing it this morning. He swam around like normal yesterday. When he came out cause I lifted the rock, he was swimming kinda funny. I'm not sure how to explain it, just kinda stiff?? Could he just be stressed with being in a new tank? All the other guppies are all over the place swimming and stuff. However, I am worried about the Nirates, I did a 20% wc yesterday and a 30% wc just now to help keep it down. Is my guppy sick or just stressed??? I have no idea what to do and he's really started to stress me out.

Any help would be great!!!
Hardness? Guppies, (and livebearers in general) thrive in hard water. Maybe the parameters the pet store used were vastly different from yours and they are just adjusting. 40ppm of nitrates shouldn't be lethal but I would try to keep it 40ppm and below. Monthly water changes won't work since 7 guppies is overstocked for a 10 gallon.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
RomanNoodles96 said:
Hardness? Guppies, (and livebearers in general) thrive in hard water. Maybe the parameters the pet store used were vastly different from yours and they are just adjusting. 40ppm of nitrates shouldn't be lethal but I would try to keep it 40ppm and below. Monthly water changes won't work since 7 guppies is overstocked for a 10 gallon.
Oh sorry! What I meant is that I'll be doing 20% wc every week and at least once a month I'll do a 50% wc. Not just one wc a month.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Oh sorry! What I meant is that I'll be doing 20% wc every week and at least once a month I'll do a 50% wc. Not just one wc a month.
Oh okay gotcha. That's sounds like a good Wc schedule. try and find your water hardness. If you don't have a test kit for it you can try and find your local water report online and they might have it.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
RomanNoodles96 said:
Oh okay gotcha. That's sounds like a good Wc schedule. try and find your water hardness. If you don't have a test kit for it you can try and find your local water report online and they might have it.
Yeah, I don't have a hardness kit. I'll try to find a report. Thank you for the help!

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Yeah, I don't have a hardness kit. I'll try to find a report. Thank you for the help!
Np. If the other guppies have been fine this whole time it may just be he's a little stressed and your water is naturally hard. If he worsens or starts showing other symptoms then it may be an illness.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
RomanNoodles96 said:
Okay, I just found out that our kitchen sink, the one I've been using for my tank, has a water softener attached to it. I had no idea that sink even had that. I'll have to use a bathroom sink from now on. That is so frustrating. I didn't even think to check something like that.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Okay, I just found out that our kitchen sink, the one I've been using for my tank, has a water softener attached to it. I had no idea that sink even had that. I'll have to use a bathroom sink from now on. That is so frustrating. I didn't even think to check something like that.
Okay. Do the water changes slowly so u don't shock the fish from hardness change. Soft water won't kill guppies but harder water is better for them.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
7 males would be a slaughter! The males normally poke at each other for females, but only males!? There is a ratio and it is 3:1. 3 Females to 1 male.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
RomanNoodles96 said:
Okay. Do the water changes slowly so u don't shock the fish from hardness change. Soft water won't kill guppies but harder water is better for them.
Okay, thank you!

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
FishBoy101 said:
7 males would be a slaughter! The males normally poke at each other for females, but only males!? There is a ratio and it is 3:1. 3 Females to 1 male.
I've seen tons of people on here keep males together successfully. If they start fighting though and causing fin rot it can become a problem

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
FishBoy101 said:
I'm not totally sure what you're talking about.I've done tons, and I mean tons, of research. I've also asked other fish keepers, and everyone I've talked to, and everything I've read, have said it's totally fine to keep males together if you don't want a bunch of babies.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Hannah1064 said:
I'm not totally sure what you're talking about.I've done tons, and I mean tons, of research. I've also asked other fish keepers, and everyone I've talked to, and everything I've read, have said it's totally fine to keep males together if you don't want a bunch of babies.
I've had some in fighting of 2 males, that is why I am a bit nervous for you. Research can only take you so far.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
FishBoy101 said:
I've had some in fighting of 2 males, that is why I am a bit nervous for you. Research can only take you so far.
Even if they do fight, as long as it isn't anything serious that causes fin/tail rot or stress its okay

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reactions
FishBoy101 said:
Ohhhh, okay, that makes more sense. They way you said it I thought you meant they would kill each other lol. Yeah, I'll keep an eye on them.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
RomanNoodles96 said:
Even if they do fight, as long as it isn't anything serious that causes fin/tail rot or stress its okay
I agree, but my fighting...... I had to separate both of them for the rest of their life....

New Threads