My new GBR

1. gourami88 Member Member

Just got her today. If you notice the bottom part of her tail is somewhat damaged (although no fungus or disease) from transport, and I actually got her free because of it. My fish guy from the LFS called me up and asked if I wanted her.

I am pretty sure it is a girl. She does display black on her front fins and you can see irridescent blue spots through her black side spot.

She is in a 29 gallon (been cycled and running for about 16 months or so) and I plan on finding her a guy here soon.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Cute, but I think you've got a male ;) The 2nd and 3rd rays of the dorsal fin look like they are starting to elongate :) Time will tell, once the little guy settles in if its male of female.

3. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

if its a female it sure is a beautiful one!! i need to get me a female soon. i havent seen my female gold ram and my male gold ram looks depressed.

4. gourami88 Member Member

I wasn't sure, but I just thought female because of the black on the front fins. Everything i've read says that if they display the black there then they are females (and at the store they were very black stripes...she isn't fully colored back up yet...gonna have to wait to make sure i add a pair and not 2 of the same gender (may not go over that well :p )

And whether it is a male or a female it is so full of personality i love it either way!

5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Thats a nice male you got lol guess where i learned to tell the difference... Akari

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My male had black along the front of him fins too. Its like the whole betta-oviposter thing, now :rolleyes:

Well hi there :p

7. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

the back on the dorsal fin is also more rounded on the back instead of pointed.

9. gourami88 Member Member

I'll wait until he/she has settle in an get some more pictures once the coloring has come back in full. I will say about the elongated rays of the dorsal fins that I had a female (who I saw lay eggs) about 3 or 4 years back who had elongated 2nd and 3rd rays.

10. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Congrats, you have a beautiful ram! Looks like a girl to me, except mine has a nice pink belly. Not only males can have elongated 2nd and 3rd rays, my girl has both and I'm positive she's a girl. :)

11. orbelina Member Member

I would be tempted to say female it looks a heck of a lot like my female...but its gorgeous no matter what!! Love gbr's lol....:D

12. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I'd say female too. Nice sheen on the black spot. I've also noticed that my males have VERY LONG pelvic fins and the females' fins are shorter, but that may just be mine and not a definitive way of sexing.

13. gourami88 Member Member

Thanks for all the help! I'll post more pictures in a couple days to let her/him settle in and color up.

Meeps83: there is definetly a blue sheen coming through the black spot.

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Blue showed through on my make for a week or so. Time will tell wha you've got :)

15. orbelina Member Member

I'm just using this as an excuse to show my two off really...but it might be useful to you lol...:p
    First pic is my male Sid...
    And the second is his girlfriend Nancy...

Attached Files:

16. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Nice fish!!!

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, well if we're playing *that* game.... ;D

[​IMG]

18. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

haha lol

19. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

RAMS are one of my favorites. The females are alomost impossible to get at our local Aquarium Store. Your Ram is Beautiful

20. orbelina Member Member

Lol I couldn't help it they are by far my favourite fish at the moment :p