My New Freshwater Planted10.3 -currently Cycling-

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by vikingpillage89, Apr 22, 2019.

1. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Waterbox aio 10.3 planted freshwater first time for me coming from saltwater just set up what do you guys think look good bad? Amazon swords and java furn. Plan on getting 2 pea puffers and some small shrimp 20190422_202658.jpg20190422_202710.jpg20190422_202654.jpg

Just set up today

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019
  2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

3. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Wouldn’t the pea puffers eat the shrimp?? Shrimp need an established tank with micro film and algae to eat. To give them a chance I’d get some hornwort plants and java moss. For hiding places.

4. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

I'm new to the freshwater hobby yea i might not do shrimp and rather just do 2 pea puffers I just wanna have some sort of critter to manage some alge once I'm established.

5. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Puffers will eat just about any invertebrate you add to the tank (their main diet is snails), if you want algae control here is what you do!

1) high plantload. trust me, you can cram a lot more in there, and floating plants such as frogbit are great for algae control.
    2) limit your lighting. you really don't need more than 6-8 hours a day
    3) elbow grease. generic Magic Erasers are my favorite tank cleaning tool.

6. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Sweet cant wait to have a mini jungle you have been very helpful fahn throughout the starting of this process. Will keep both threads updated.

7. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Thing with pea puffers is they should be by themselves. May want to try something else. Or google them find out what’s recommended.
    Tank looks good for day one:). The sword plants should get a root tab in the gravel under them. They are big root feeders. Java fern should have its rhizomes out of the substrate.

8. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Its 2 inch fluval stratum substrate so I would hope the plant doesnt come out and the java furn is just sitting between the rocks hoping they latch themselves to the rock thanks guys wish me luck will update along the way. Stay reefing oh I mean stay planted lol hahaha

Also dosing with seachem flourish might get a small co2 system trade some of my saltwater stuff in lol

9. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Seachem flourish is mainly a trace element formula and in the long run won't be able to sustain a planted tank *with high lighting needs* such as yours. I suggest either dosing dry fertilizers a la EI Dosing method, or get yourself a good comprehensive liquid fertilizer like NilocG Thrive. Swords in particular love nitrogen and potassium and Flourish doesn't contain a whole lot of either.

As for a CO2 setup, you don't have to break the bank. On smaller tanks you can get a 24oz paintball cylinder, paintball adapter, regulator with solenoid, CO2-proof line, drop checker, and a glass diffuser for around $120-150. Of course if you wanted you could get a 5 or 10 pound cylinder that would last for years on a smaller tank; many gas companies do CO2 exchange where for $25 you can rent a cylinder, and when it's empty you bring it in and swap it out. DIY is a lot cheaper but here are the issues:

>the CO2 output is weak and inconsistent, automatic CO2 can be fine tuned to specific working pressures and outputs
    >you have no way to turn it on or off automatically, a solenoid on automatic setups can be placed on a timer
    >you have to replace the catalyst every couple of weeks, where automatic CO2 can last several months to nearly a year before needing refilling
    >the chance the bottles can explode, getting sugar-yeast slurry all over your house!

10. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Would be awesome I'm gonna get some s repens today and plant on the bottom floor and try to get a carpet I'll get the co2 once I sell some of my saltwater gear. And will get some dosing stuff.tank has cleared even more over night which is awesome but once I plant some more it should get alittle murky again lol

11. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Do a little homework before deciding if this is the route you want to go, as it has a lot of variables that can screw up your tank if done incorrectly, from algae outbreaks to dead fish. The bigger and more complicated, the more that can go wrong. Think of it as going all out with a reef tank with calcium reactors (which also use injected CO2), automatic dosing pumps, etc.

Also I cannot stress this enough... if you are going to do injected CO2, you need to basically plant every square inch of available substrate. If not, you're going to end up feeding a bunch of algae rather than getting a nice planted tank. Add a handful of floating plants anyway as they will help quickly absorb excess nutrients that cause algae issues in new setups. I still keep salvinia in my high tech CO2 setup because it is such a good nutrient sponge.

The good news is S. repens is one of the easier carpeting plants. I had it growing quite well in a display tank at a shop I used to work at just getting indirect natural sunlight, and hundreds of cherry shrimp kept all the plants healthy and algae free. Although, I suggest you get the CO2 setup ready before adding S. repens as without CO2 it will grow tall and leggy rather than low and compact.

Watch some of George Farmer's videos. He's a professional aquascaper and planted tank expert, and is a wealth of information on maintaining healthy planted systems with and without CO2.

12. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Sweet will do I also just discovered a small snail on my glass which I dont mind I will prob hold off on co2 tank until cycle is done because if I mess up I don't wanna lose money on my plants and such.

13. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It shouldn't hurt your cycle, but may stall it due to CO2 causing pH fluctuations (beneficial bacteria prefer a more neutral to alkaline pH).

14. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Yea I'm doing stability everyday for 7 days and I should get a cycle or close to it

15. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Do you have a test kit? Also with Stability I keep dosing until the bottle is empty, it's practically impossible to overdose.

16. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Yes my my amonia 2ppm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate atm

17. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I’ve had no luck s repens. Do believe it needs co2. I grow plants fine without co2. I do use flourish comprehensive,iron and potassium. Also roottab under swords and crypts. I add root tab about a week after they stop growing. Have not tried dry ferts but they are in the future(much cheaper). As to niloc not much different from what I use also not cheaper and will raise nitrates. Been many threads about people fighting high nitrates while using. Also recommends 50% weekly water changes on the bottle (so there not hiding the fact). 39B9D59F-D04E-43D7-B0BC-D6138B57893C.jpeg I have a 90 that I used the fluorite and eco. After 3 months it needs what I use above. My root feeders only grow in pots with sand and gravel. 8C3469AF-9473-4F1D-94AD-8D0D104742F7.jpeg

18. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Nice tank I just put 3 packs of s repens in my tank about how deep do I stick them in there holding right now?? They are in there preety snug but look alittle lol will the roots eventually grow down and hold them down I'm using fluval stratum substrate1556051942767.jpg

19. FahnFishlore VIPMember

You did it right, give them about a week, they'll establish a root system and you'll begin to see new growth.

20. vikingpillage89Valued MemberMember

Sweet thanks man again thank you for your help.