My new freshwat fish, blood parrot and kenyi african blue cichlid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Hashsohail, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Hashsohail

Hashsohail Valued Member Member

Hello lovely people,

I am having problems with my new freshwater fish.

I bought a new tank which is 45 gallon and cycled it for 1 week. Yesterday bought 2 new blood parrot fish and kenyi african blue cichlids. They have been very shy and too scared of everything. I have provided enough space for them to hide. They are too shy and are "not" eating at all. Non of fish african and parrots are not eating and too scared. I am afraid if they might starve to death. Please help I'm too stressed because i want them to eat :s

I tried feeding them "pellet" food which floats and left it in there for 5 min but they did not eat. I did repeat this practice in the evening again but non of the fish ate anything.

Thank you so much in advance and happy new year.

Plus please tellme which algae eater should i keep with them who does not get in conflict with parrots or kenyi african cichlids. Cheers

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm a bit concerned that your aquarium may not be cycled. How did you cycle this aquarium in 1 week? Did you use filter media from an established aquarium or a type of bacterial additive?

starhanging.gif If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Here is a link to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle <--link

A more friendly version:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...96-nitrogen-cycle-newbies-friendly-guide.html

Bloody Parrot Info below, see post #5:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/parrot-cichlid/116200-parrot-fish-advice.html#post1268957

I'm not certain that you have a good combination of fish. African Cichlids should be a species only tank and not a community tank. Let's get more responses on this as I have not personally kept African Cichlids.

Best wishes for your tank and fish. I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    Hashsohail

Thanks for the reply mate, i have updated my profile. No i have not run any type of cycle and i dont have test kits :s (not available in my city) lol .

I had goldfish tank but i sold it i got a new tank now for parrots and africans.

The shopkeeper guy said african cichlid which is 1.5 inch will live fine withh pareots and dollars :/

Please guide me. I should i make it a healthy tabk and what equipmet do inneed? I have alread spent alot of money :/// thanks

Plus what algae eater should i keep to keep algae at bay? Which one do you recom? And the parrots and cichlids are not fighting at all they are now swimming almost together and mark their terroteries but (STILL NOT EATING) how should i fix that?
    The heater temp is set to 28 but the thermometer shows 23 :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry, what country are you from? I've forgotten which flag that is.
    You will definitely need a liquid test kit. If you can get the API Master kit somehow, please do. It may be available to you online somehow. Start changing half your water every day until you get the kit and can test your tank. Ammonia that the fish make could be making them sick. Usually bacteria take care of this but they need time to grow.

They might eat after they get used to the tank. Exactly how long have you had them in there?
    What pellets are you giving them?
    Can you get fresh food like vegetables or worms?

5. Aquarist

Be sure to read all of the information within the links that I posted above in post #2 concerning the Nitrogen Cycle. It's crucial to fish keeping. If your tank is not cycled properly then your fish may suffer and pass due to ammonia poisoning. If there is a way for you to order a liquid test kit, I highly recommend it.

Do not over feed your fish simply because you may not see them eat. Once they settle into their new environment, then they should start eating.

Until your aquarium is cycled, I would not be adding any more fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1XC7xT0mIbY

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    Hashsohail

Hello

Hello all,

I am from the gorgeous pakistan :)

Basically i just figured out today went to the fish shop and asked the name of the fish again. The blue stripes fish is called "demadosi cichlid" according to him ita very rare and they blend well with parrot fish.

I am afraid i can not buy water test kits as they are "very" expensive here around $120 :s (too much)

I bought a new pleco suckerfish today to get rid of any algae and so far both the parrot fish are hiding in the cave :( and the tank looks healthy. Temp is 28 degrees celsius.

I did not run any cycle of the tank i just bought it along the fish set it up and released the fish :/

Please guide me how can i now help the tank and healthy bacteria to grow providing i have already fish now.

The water changes you are telling about sir? Does it have to be the exact same temp like the temp of the water alreadyy in the tank ? Ill do 20% change :)

Thank you for guiding me so well so far.

God bless america and its people.

Get well soon christi

7. Aquarist

Good morning,

It's a shame the cost of a test kit is so high in your country. If you can't get a test kit, what about paper test strips? The paper strips are not the most accurate but they are better than nothing.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet-supplies-search#!&ea_q=test strips

Can you find an Ammonia Alert like in the link below? Again, not the most accurate, but at least if you do have an ammonia issue, maybe the device will detect it soon enough that your fish will not be harmed. I use them as a back up to my liquid test kit, but I would not depend on them alone. You're kind of caught between a rock and hard place so to speak.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet-supplies-search#!&ea_q=ammonia alert

I would consider doing at least 50% water changes every couple of days for the next 4 to 6 weeks. Cycling a tank may take 4 to 8 weeks. Without a test kit, it is hard to say when your tank may be cycled. It takes the beneficial bacteria this long to grow.

Another option, would your local fish store be willing to share some of their filter media that you can place into your own filter? This will give the cycle process a jump start, and if you are given enough of it, it may cycle your tank within a few days to a week or two.

Yes, the new water going into the tank for a water change, needs to be the same temperature (within 1 or 2 degrees) as the water in the tank. This will prevent stress to your fish and possible prevent the ICH parasite. Add new water slowly.

Hopefully others will chime in with more ideas.

Best wishes for your tank and fish. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken

8. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Without a liquid test kit, it would be best to assume that the water in your tank will not be safe enough for fish for the next month or even two without daily large water changes. When you change water, do you have a water conditioner to add to the water to detoxify chlorine or chloramine? That's important if you are using tap water, since your government probably adds chlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria in the water, and it kills both bad and beneficial bacteria. For the fish tank you need to grow beneficial bacteria which will take care of fish wastes, and this takes about a month but may take less or longer - if you had a test kit you could find out when your beneficial bacteria are ready, without the test kit it is safer to assume it will take longer since you have no way to check whether it is done, so I would probably do large daily water changes for two months if I were you.

Please stop buying new fish. The more fish you have, the more waste they produce. While you are still growing the beneficial bacteria to take care of the fish waste, you want to not increase fish waste, since their waste is now toxic to your fish, and the more fish you have, the more beneficial bacteria you will need to grow before the tank becomes safe enough for your fish.

9. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Hi and welcome to the best site on fish-keeping info. I would follow all the above comment`s ,
    cause i had the same problem, got some info and to help the process used bacteria culture to save my pet`s. Did the job well.They are eating you guy`s. Many thank`s.

Con

10. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Hash, Welcome to Fishlore, glad to have you with us. Ken and Joanna are right on target here.
    If you cant get your hands on a Test strip or Kit ( and actually, even if you do at this point because with it you will find out your tank is not cycled) you really need to do daily water changes of at least 30% and like Joanna said, use a water conditioner. Prime or Safe is a very good product as it will nuetralize the ammonia in your tank for 24 hours.
    Ken mentioned seeing if your petshop would share some of their filter media, with this option if you get enough your tank can be instantly cycled. good luck, and no more fish until this tank gets cycled. then we really need to discuss the fish and their compatability. i really do not think the African and the Parrot will work out together.

11. OP
    OP
    Hashsohail

Hello,

Wow thanks ken for that. I am trying to get my hands on the master water test kit will keep you guys posted.

I am going to change the water asap aroud 25% and yes i do use conditioner.

There are two of them, one is blue and the other one is transparent :s

Methylene blue and anti chlorine i both use 4 drops per gallon of water :)

What ill do is keep changin water every 2 days .

Last night i left a tiny pinch of pellet food and in te morning it was not there clearly the parrts and demadosi cichlid ate them :D

Today all the both parrots are in a submarine cave and not coming out :( but it seeming they are playing inside i can see them kissin from a hole :ss looo

The cichlid i mention before are nt african i spoke to te shopkeeper again today he said they are demasoni cichlid and they are beauty i read about that fish on internet people do have it with parrots and ge along well.

I had another fresh water tank a week back which i sold off. Fish in it had ich and i kept giving them medicine but ich comes back in a week againx

I bought this new lovely tank and i "DO NOT" want ich again and ill definately will medicate water before adding it to the tank and wont be lazy abt it at all.

Ill keep you guys poster and no sir i will not get any more fish for next 1 month :)))

I bough the sucker fish today and the water came with it of an already cycled tank of the petshop. I added that water to my tank, i believe that might help my tank cycle fadter ? :(

Thank you good people

ADDING PIC OF PARROTS IN THE SUBMAINE :DD

12. J

Alternatively to filter media from fish store, do you know anyone else who has a fish tank (friend, family, neighbor, anyone?). It would speed things up significantly if you could get beneficial bacteria from an already established fish tank. It is best to get some filter media from their filter to put into yours (don't ask them though to give you all of theirs but rather to give you part of their filter media so that they do not loose all their bacteria in the process of sharing with you. Only accept such stuff from a fish tank with healthy fish because there is a risk of getting an illness that way as well. But if you know someone who has a tank that they have had for more than two months or longer, then getting some stuff from their tank could help you a lot. Some filter media would be best, because most bacteria live in filter, but anything else like some gravel or an ornament that has been in an established healthy tank could help your tank get the beneficial bacteria faster. Best, Joanna

EDIT: No, water will not help you cycle faster. Very few of the bacteria you want live in the water itself. They mostly live in the filter, in the gravel, and on surfaces including ornaments.

If you do get Ich again, which I hope you do not, but if you do, then I suggest you read about the natural heat method of fighting Ich by gradually increasing the heat in the tank. Ich is a parasite and it is one of the illnesses one risks getting when getting new fish or stuff from store or other tanks. In the future do not pour the store water into your tank because it will not give you beneficial bacteria, and it does have some risk that something may be in the water that you do not want to add to your tank.

EDIT2: I read that Methylene Blue kills all bacteria including the good sort, so I would strongly suggest you stop using it. Use the anti chlorine water conditioner though every time you add new water.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  13. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

14. J

I have read that demasoni cichlids are extremely aggressive, and should not be kept with less aggressive fish. I would worry about them attacking your blood parrots. Also demasoni require a large group to keep aggression in check and your tank I believe is not big enough for a large group of demasoni. If I were you, I would ask whether you can return the demasoni and in a month look for some less dangerous tank mates for your blood parrots. From all I read from other fishlore members who have them, blood parrots sound like a really fun fish. Enjoy them!

15. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I don't think this has been mentioned, but can you get ahold of a beneficial bacteria supplement such as Tetra Safe Start? This will speed up the process of your tank becoming established.

And :sign0016: to the forum!

16. Eienna

Your other tank may have been getting ich from poor water quality, because it was probably not cycled either. Don't use the methylene blue unless you see ich or the fish start rubbing a lot (if they do this, try a large water change first). Do you know how to use a gravel vacuum? I can find a video on cleaning your tank if you do not.

17. OP
    OP
    Hashsohail

Hello people,

I can believe fishlore is too good you guys are giving me amazing answers and keeping track as if they are your too wow!

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Okay now some serious stuff

ICH IN MY TANK AGAIN :"( i bought a new tank and new fish to get rid of ich but its back now on my new parrot.(one of them) please suggest me why is ich not levin me alone?
    Will ich keep on coming and leaving in my tank mow? Having ich is normal for the first time of a new tank setup.

Yes i do have a gravel vacuum. And yes i know how to use it :))

But help me out i really want to keep my parrots get rid of ich asap

I will return damasouni now and wont get "anynew" fish at all for a month now until my tank gets perfect :)

I have undergravel filter. If i get submersible "CARTRIDGE" water filter will that me the best option to make my fish and tank perfect? Than i dont need to wait for bacteria to grow and all??

18. Aquarist

Good morning,

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with ICH. Ich is usually brought on by the introduction of new fish already carrying the parasite and or stress, sudden temperature changes.

My treatment for ICH without Medications w/100% survival rate:

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
    minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
    Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198657/product.web
    Making your own juice, recipe:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

It may take more than 1 try when using Garlic. If the fish ignore the foods soaked in garlic, try it again the next day. Be careful not to over feed your fish!

The information above comes from the link below:

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196391/product.web

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

ICH may appear to get worse, before it gets better. It may take several days before you see a decrease in the white spots/parasite.

It is not recommended to use the increased heat method along with medications. Choose 1 or the other. I only suggest medications if you are experiencing fish loss.

Once the ICH has been removed via the heat treatment, there is no need to treat again with medications. Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and the fewer chemicals and medications you use, the better off your fish are going to be.

Amphibians and Invertebrates are not susceptible to ICH.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Quarantine!

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

19. Aquarist

My apologies for the back to back post but the one above is a bit long.

Your aquarium will always need and depend on the Nitrogen Cycle and the beneficial bacteria. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1XC7xT0mIbY

The link above will demonstrate it for you.

The beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the cycle is attached to all surface areas of the aquarium with the highest concentrations of it being in your filter.

Ken

20. Eienna

I would suggest that the stress your fish are experiencing from the uncycled tank is what is triggering the ich.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice