My new fish tank project

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My new fish tank project, updated!

Here are some piccy's of my newest fish tank project. I'm going to attempt to make (with the help of my brother) a stand and totally overhaul this tank.

827.jpg
This was taken as soon as we got the tank home

828.jpg
The dog checking everything is ok lol

829.jpg
after a bit of a clean mpore scrubbing to be done!

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks good. Good luck

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is it?

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you measure it from the front to back and top to bottom you can figure out how many gallons it is. Looks like a 55 or 75.

Is the dog looking at it because he is wondering why this big glass box is in front of my bed?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new tank.

Have fun setting it all up! Please keep us updated on your progress.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ooh, nice tank, keep us updated. I'd love a pic when that baby is full haha!!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
suemvb said:
If you measure it from the front to back and top to bottom you can figure out how many gallons it is. Looks like a 55 or 75.

Is the dog looking at it because he is wondering why this big glass box is in front of my bed?
The dog is obsessed with the new tank, she sits staring in tanks with fish in and I think she is baffled why this one is different!

The tank is approx 60 gallon a touch moor but we will call it 60 gallon for ease.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sure it will look great when you get it set up. Keep us up to date with pics.

shaid

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
how long??
bust of luck

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well we bought a unit for this tank to go on today. One bad boy unit it is too, it's errrr HUGE but fab at the same time. The unit it 215cm long (tank is 122cm) we had fun fitting that in the car but we managed it just, I struggled to fit in lol.

Were going to chop the legs off and add more bracing even though we had 5 of us sat on it out side the shop! When its done it's going to be glossy red and natural wood and if I can figure a way it's going to have some chrome in there too.

69.jpg

Outside the shop

70.jpg

Hubby chopping the legs off!

71.jpg

My stepson having a go at chopping the legs off to

72.jpg

Father and son moment x

73.jpg

me and stepson

74.jpg

Stepson having a go at screwing the screws in

75.jpg

Trying out the red paint (I LOVE IT!)

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
here is the design I have in my head

78.jpg

I have no idea what I'm doing for a hood yet but I'm loving the whole process of designing this from scratch and not being a shop bought tank/stand/hood combo I like to be different and I love designing. I was thinking possibly a perspex or glass top with an over the top lighting bar if I can find or design one the right size, plus I don't know how good they are.

Oh I need to figure out a top covering for the unit also, I want it to be funky yet water resistant as I'm clumsy at water change time! I was thinking possibly vinyl floor covering fixed down with chrome carpet (the things that go in door ways) holdy downy thingy's, with a layer of cork under?

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I have completed on drawer with 3 coats of spray and it's looking fab

80.jpg

81.jpg

and the next batch of drawers are on their first coat of paint

82.jpg

I'm loving how the completed drawer looks, I love the way the unpainted handle turned out, I was worried it might look wrong but it looks good! I have done battle with the weather all day every time I went outside with the spray paint it decided to rain!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! I'm loving the clour. This is going to turn out to be a very eye catching unit.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fingers crossed I have figured out a hood and I have some idea's for lighting!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I managed to get some time this weekend to spend on this project and I'm very impressed with my finds for it and my progress!

153.jpg

154.jpg

The base finally completed and reinforced, I was very impressed with my little self managing to do it all my self----- oh ok my hubby finished screwing in a few screws for me my carpel tunnel syndrome foiled me.

155.jpg

The stand the right way up for once, still got lots of painting to do yet BUT I have managed to get a hint of silver/ chrome in there!
156.jpg

These will be my other Chrome addition (well mirror but it works) that I'm going to add and it should if it works look really funky!
157.jpg

158.jpg

This will be the top surface of the stand, nice and splash proof and matched in with everything nicely!
159.jpg

A quick try of the tank in place (polystyrene down as a precaution)
160.jpg

The scary water test, it's being left like this for a few days to check everything is 100% ok with stand and tank!
161.jpg

Ha ha put the tank and stand to bed and yes it's full of water, this is because it's in my yard and didnt fancy testing a tank in my house

emanluke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is so cool. I really appriciate your feelings of wanting to do it yourself. I just finished making my own sponge filter, and while I know it isn't nearly as big as the project you've taken on, it still gives that sense of accomplishment!

I really like the idea of the different textures and colors you have represented. The red and chrome are always a good mix, but the natural wood throws a new spin on it. You definitely have an eye for good design!

I hope everything turns out well. How long are you letting it sit before you deem it sturdy? You have much more patience than I

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
emanluke said:
That is so cool. I really appriciate your feelings of wanting to do it yourself. I just finished making my own sponge filter, and while I know it isn't nearly as big as the project you've taken on, it still gives that sense of accomplishment!

I really like the idea of the different textures and colors you have represented. The red and chrome are always a good mix, but the natural wood throws a new spin on it. You definitely have an eye for good design!

I hope everything turns out well. How long are you letting it sit before you deem it sturdy? You have much more patience than I
Thanks so much for your kind comments ;D

I may attempt a sponge filter later!!! I'm not confident at making the filter lol

It's still sat in my yard all covered up with the water still in it, I can only work on it at weekends BUT I have a few days off coming up so fingers crossed I can get all the spraying done on the unit so it can move into the house on the 20th

Everything from my other tank is going into this tank to help with the change over including the filter! I just need to purchase another filter to run along side it!!!

I'm very excited about the new tank!!!!!!!!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I hunted EVERYWHERE I could think of for a hood or someone to make me one but just couldn't find what I wanted. I didn't want pale or dark wood effect and that's all I could find to have made we must have tried 15 places all did the 2 colours and nothing else. We hunted for hoods by tank manufactures and they just didn't do what I wanted or look good and were all super super expensive. On a last ditch attempt we were heading to somewhere I knew has over tank lighting bars at not £400, on the way we spotted the tiniest run down looking pet store and decided to have a look what did we have to loose? Well I'm so glad we did as we got hood, light fitting bulb rabbit food and some other bits all for £70!!!!! Plus we found a super helpful store that has some really nice fish, saw my first ever real life weather loach today! also met chickens in a pet store!
Also we bought the filter for the tank to!

here are some more pictures of how it's going.

248.jpg

Ties in the silver nicely I think!!!!!
249.jpg

All wrapped up and ready to spray!
250.jpg

first coat of red!!!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My back ground is done!