My new fish died today...did I do something wrong?

Cmpalm

Reaction score
I recently got my first aquarium(20 gallon), after scaping, flooding, and cycling I was ready for my first fish. I plan to have a community tank and started with platy.
I started with 3 and once they were acclimated this past Friday I added 5 more. All was going well, but I did notice one smaller fish was hiding a lot and not eating. I even tried feeding it alone on the other side of the tank thinking it was intimated due to its smaller size but, it still didn’t eat much. Yesterday it started hanging out in the floating plants by the surface not moving much. Unfortunately, today she passed away.

my question is did I do something wrong? I want to avoid anymore deaths.

for context here is some info -
- it is a tank with dragon stone and real plants
- when I added the new fish I added Melafix for 3 days to avoid disease
- I do weekly water tests(generally around 6.8 - 7.0 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, <5 nitrate) and weekly water changes (20-30% a week)
- I try very hard not to over feed the fish, they generally finish what I give them within 2-3 minutes with little need to scoop any out
- I feed a varied diet of flakes and freeze dried worms, with occasional pellets and cucumbers

other than occasional glass surfing all of the other fish seem healthy. Was there something I could have done to avoid this? I’m really upset over the death.

OP
C

Cmpalm

Reaction score
We flooded the tank and planted our plants, tested the water every other day, watched the ammonia turn to nitrites which then turned into nitrates and once both ammonia and nitrites were down to 0 we added fish. We have continued to check the levels weekly to make sure they are correct. Once before adding the new fish the ammonia slightly spiked but a water change helped bring it back to 0. We use a liquid test not strips.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think you did anything wrong. It may have just been a weak fish. Im Sorry. Sometimes there is nothing you can ever do for that.

OP
C

Cmpalm

Reaction score
Thank you! My husband said the same thing but he doesn’t know much about it and I have been doing all of the research so I wanted to check with some more experienced fish keepers. Still sad but I’m glad to know that I didn’t cause it and the other fish are safe.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No it sounds like you are doing everything good so far! Good researching! ;)

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Remember, fish usually sold at pet stores are young juveniles. Most times they are not full grown.

They were already stressed from being shipped from the breeder to the fish store, and then stressed again being re-homed into your aquarium.

The fish that died could have easily succumbed to being over stressed, or it was already ill to begin with.

I would suggest to increase your water change size amd/or frequency after a fish death, along with a good vac of the substrate.

I am a proponent of large WC's.

My tanks get a minimum of 50% change, usually more.

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whenever I keep guppies or mollies/platties they always die right away
I have water softener which I think is my problem, I got a salt that replaces all the things that my guppies weren’t getting like calcium (some other stuff)
This might not have anything to do with your fish Dieing but I thought I would share.
Good luck with your tank

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom