My new fish are sick and dying, please help.

newfish

Reaction score
I recently got a 5 gallon fish tank and bought six tetra fish. In less than one week 2 of them had bulging eyes and white growths near their mouths. I went to the store and got penicillian drops and treated for 4 days. It didnt look like the fish were eating it. On day 3 1 fish died and on day 4 the other one did. Now another fish is listing to one side while he swims. His eyes are bulging and no white growths. What should I do? What could be causing this? I appreciate any help!!

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
not sure..hope someone replies soon ..but next time you shouldnt put six fish in a 5 gallon..this can also make them contract diseases easie..and they will die from overcrowding..and dont buy fish from there agian. You have a 5 gallon so only get two tetras max i would say.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe that your fish came from an infected tank at your pet store. 6 tetras would be best in a tank of 10 gallons or more, but given the progression of the disease they most likely had it when you got them and the smaller tank might have helped spread it but not by much - they were in a lot closer quarters at the pet store.

It sounds like Pop-Eye along with Fungus and needs to be treated with a med for bacterial infections and/or parasites. Maracyn Plus is what I'd recommend asap. It works on both problems and is easily given to them thru the water.

In this forum, under "Important Topics", check the last one: "Disease Chart". The 1st link in that post is a great page to check symptoms on. Best of luck with your tetras and I hope they pull through.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom