My new female is really stressed! Help

1. TropicalBettaFreak Initiate Member

I recently bought 4 new female bettas from PETCO (today actually) and my littlest one, Cecelia, has really big, dark stress strips and she won't calm down!

What do I do!

Please help me!
    ~TBF
    :animal0028:

2. Salazar Member Member

Are you sure they are stress strips? Could they just be her natural color? And, are they all in the same tank? Was the tank(s) cycled? How big is the tank? It all depends on that kind of stuff.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry your betta is worrying you.
    She's mostly likely stressed from an over stocked tank with incompatible tank mates.
    Imo, Most bettas do best by themselves.
    Having 6 in your tank is a recipe for disaster, again, my opinion.
    Others may disagree.
    I'd advise separating them.

Do you know the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    How long has your tank been set up?

4. TropicalBettaFreak Initiate Member

I have 6 female bettas, 3 cory cats, 3 silver tip tetras, a pleco, and about 3-4 feeder guppies in a 30 gallon tank. I'm trying to get all the feeder guppies out because they are causing problems with my silver tips.

I don't know anything about my water stuff because I don't have a testing kit.

Her stripes are thinning and her color is darkening. She's very tiny and I think the transition from PETCO to my house freaked her out. She was showing stress stripes as soon as I picked up her cup from the shelf.

I can remove her and put her in one of my extra half gallons with some stress coat. I don't have anything bigger than 60 fluid ounces that doesn't have a fish in it.

5. Salazar Member Member

your 30 gallon is overstocked. if your beta had "stress" strips from the moment you picked her up, then they are probably natural colors. you should go bigger than 30 gallons, though. lucy is right. betas like to be alone.:;smack

6. TropicalBettaFreak Initiate Member

I took her out of the 30 gallon and put her in one of my extra containers and she has calmed down. I think she was just too small to be in a tank like mine. My 3 silver tips are kinda rowdy.

Everything is fine now.

7. Salazar Member Member

thats good. hope your other fish are well.:;tea

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have a pretty big hunch that you have more going on in your tank than you actually think. The fact that she was that stressed and then you say your silver tip tetras are "rowdy" makes me think that your tank is probably still cycling and all of the fish are stressed and on edge. My silver tips are easily the calmest fish I've ever owned in my life.

I highly reccomend buying a liquid test kit as soon as possible so that you can find out what is really going on in this tank. Hope everything calms down for you.

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hi TBF and :sign0016: to FishLore!
    Your aquarium profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle (<--- click here for the article). Understanding the nitrogen cycle, and how it affects the health of your fish, is crucial to successful fishkeeping. Please take a bit to read up on it, and then come back here with questions. (yes, you will probably have questions):)

It's really important to have a testing kit. I use the liquid API Master Freshwater Kit, because it tends to be more accurate than test strips Until you can get a kit, you might see if your local fish store will test your water for free.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!