My New Female Betta

EvFreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently bought a female betta and shes kinda small but I want to make her breed with me male betta and im wondering if even though shes a bit small like about an inch and a half could she still mate?

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you are aware of the danger, time, and money it takes to breed bettas successfully, right?

Here's a little article on breeding these guys on a website i designed

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi EvFreak,

Have you ever bred betta before? (If you have bred betta before, ignore the following advice!)

If you haven't, there's a lot of work that goes into it. We have a couple of people here that I'm sure will be along soon to tell you how much time, energy, and money goes into breeding. As crazy about bettas as I am, that's one fish that I don't think I'd ever have the energy to breed!

I'm not sure about the size thing, though I'm sure those betta breeders will be around at some point!

Where'd you buy your girl from?

And we always love pictures of your cuties!!

Welcome to Fishlore!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Breeding Bettas is pretty difficult. Thats a great article by TFA, theres also another on the homepage/breeding fish articles. Good Luck!

EvFreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

um...petco! yeah its the first time im actually going these fish since years of knowing how to.
Hi EvFreak,

Have you ever bred betta before? (If you have bred betta before, ignore the following advice!)

If you haven't, there's a lot of work that goes into it. We have a couple of people here that I'm sure will be along soon to tell you how much time, energy, and money goes into breeding. As crazy about bettas as I am, that's one fish that I don't think I'd ever have the energy to breed!

I'm not sure about the size thing, though I'm sure those betta breeders will be around at some point!

Where'd you buy your girl from?

And we always love pictures of your cuties!!

Welcome to Fishlore!

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
um...petco! yeah its the first time im actually going these fish since years of knowing how to.
Well, I've been reading on here that the breeders are saying that the petco bettas aren't so great to be breeding. It has something to do with funny lineage and genes.

I know the big breeders here have only bred betta that have been imported or bred by private breeders themselves.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All I can say is if you plan on breeding you better start collecting jars and have lots of homes lined up....You may also want to quit your day job because it is a LOT of time and work lol....

Although I have bred 1 of my Crowntail males that came from Petco I wouldn't adivse doing so....You know nothing about his genetic background and you could end up with a lot of deformities...If you are going to put in the time and effort that breeding Betta fish requires you are better off to start with a pair of quality bred halfmoons from a serious breeder so you will know what's behind the fish and also know the exact age of the fish....

Breeding Veitails may be more work than it's worth...I have 2 pet Veils and will never breed them....They are a dime a dozen and hard to sell....

Pandora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As for the size thing, if the female's a lot smaller than the male there's much more of a risk of her being seriously hurt. If you really want to spawn the pair you have, she'll grow fast with good feeding and frequent water changes, so definitely give her some time to get closer to the male's size.

EvFreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PANDORA!! or ANYONE!! like about how much time do you think it will take her to grow a little more?

Matt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome To FishLore

I wouldnt breed pet-shop betta. Although some people have been succesful.

It takes LOADS of time, effort and money to breed betta.

It depends on the female betta to how much she will grow and in what period of time

-Matt

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Evfreak after reading your other threads about bettas, before you breed them, they need the proper tank size, heater, filter ....bettas cant live in less than a gal container and then be ready to breed when you buy a girlie if you breed them now, they will likely die because they are not in the condition to breed at all

this link will give you lots of info https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Along with Shawnie's link, this is a good resource for betta care:

Pandora

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree. Fry are a lot more delicate and a lot more work than the adults. You'll need extra tanks, special foods, etc. As well, the adults aren't likely to breed, and if they do are much more likely to die during or after spawning if they aren't in prime physical shape, and for that they need to be housed and cared for appropriately.
Don't worry about breeding till you have some experience keeping adult bettas happy and healthy. You're much more likely to have success with it and enjoy it rather than being frustrated when it doesn't work or you lose fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom