My new family member

Discussion in 'Birds' started by David C, Apr 6, 2010.

1. D

David C Well Known Member Member

After visiting the bird breeder, my wife fell in love. We went ahead and brought home the pineapple mutation green cheek conure and he is awesome. He is hand tame, doesnt bite and loves to be sitting on a shoulder while I do housework or watch TV. I can definitely see the appeal of these cute little guys. I'm trying to find a treat that he loves so I can begin training him, the breeder said he can step up, but he won't for us yet. I think he's still figuring us out since we just got him on Sunday. I went ahead and got the cage from King's Cages and am really happy. I don't think you can beat the quality for the price and they shipped really fast.

210.jpg
    213.jpg

Dave

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Beautiful bird! Congrats!
    Carol

3. p

pongo New Member Member

congrats on your bird, and king's are great cages. is that a breeding/nest box? If so you may want to remove it, as it will lead to breeding urges. jmo (with 15 years professional bird exp.)

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He's beautiful! Congratulations! I've had a normal mutation green-cheek and now I have a yellow-side green-cheek. They are awesome conures, for sure!

5. OP
    OP
    D

It was his nesting box that he has grown up in. The breeder said I should use it for awhile until he is comfortable in his new home, then it should be removed. I was figuring on keeping it for a month or two. I think he's a great new addition to the family, I say this as he sits on my shoulder at this very moment. I think we are going to be making a nice play area in the computer room for him, I'll search the net for some ideas.

Dave

6. Dandee

Dandee New Member Member

Very nice looking bird.

7. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

But - he isn't on your shoulder . . . The poor baby, stuck in his cage already... just kidding - he is gorgeous!

Does he still sleep in his box? You could try replacing it with a cardboard box the same shape/size. Once he is using the cardboard box, remove part of the bottom and replace it with a perch. Then slowly remove the rest of the bottom and start on the sides. That is how I wean the lovebirds from their "boxes". Now, the two I am currently raising sleep in the corner of their cage in a pile of bedding. They still feel secure, but the nest box is gone. They will eventually sleep on the perches - at which point the box can be removed completely.

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

So Jealous!
    Does he have a name yet?

9. OP
    OP
    D

That's a good idea gremlin, he does still sleep in his box although he spends most of his time at the door begging to get out. He runs his beak along the bars to get my attention, reminds of the old prison movies where they run their cups along the bars. His name is Skittles and I'm doing my best to handle him for a couple hours a day. I just wish I could discourage him from nibbling on my neck. He goes after my shirt collar and inevitably catches my neck repeatedly. I know he doesnt mean to, but it can hurt some. I guess it's part of having a bird.

Dave

10. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

YIPPEE!!!!!!! he is adorable!!!!!!....Glad u checked out the kings cages....its all I use!!!!!! Very bird/user friendly...and it will last forever......Look into getting him a snuggly....check out the birdieboutique.com...they can ship....the owner is also an avian vet......they have snuggly things u just attach to sides that the baby can just snuggle up to, or they also make kinda a tee-pee that he can actually climb in to ....my hawk head goes to sleep in one every nighthttp://birdieboutique.com/

a look....they are awesome!!!!!!! he also has fabulous bird treats ect...that u cant find in the normal pet shops....most of the types by golden feast are the bomb!!!!!! Congrats on the new baby!!!!!! and keep us posted!!!!!!!!

11. F

Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

He is adorable. A few wors of advice ... when he begs to come out... that is the time to NOT take him out. If you take him out when he begs it leads to more begging to be out. It can end up being a problem. If he is begging to come out ignore him till he stops and is quiet ...then go get him. Also if he is nibbling your neck...remove him from your shoulder. It is a privileged not a right to be up there. I have a play basket right beside my laptop and if my parrotlet nips me while on me I say NO BITE firmly...not yelling... and set him on his basket for a time out. He really wants to be on me so he learns biting gets him removed and not biting lets him stay. If he bites while coming out of the cage he gets told NO BITE and put right back in the cage...door is closed and I turn away from him...in a few minutes I can go and ask him to step up again and he will do it very slow and gentle..lol it is kinda funny to watch. With birds it is all about giving them NO attention for bad behaviour and lavish praise and attention ( not to mention treats ) for good behaviour...good luck.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for the tips everyone. I definitely want to start off on the right foot. He is totally awesome. I'll try the time outs to stop the nipping, I bet it will work. So far I've had trouble finding treats that are his "size". He is only the size of a cockatiel and the treats are too big for him to take down in a quick bite. My LFS is checking with his supplier to see if they might have something more appropriate for him. He already chirps with the inflections for his name whenever I say it, it's adorable. Overall he is REALLY quiet. Glad my wife convinced me to get him.

Dave

13. gremlin

I made a T-stand for the two lovebirds I'm raising. They are not allowed on my head or on my shoulder so anytime they go there I put them on the T-stand. It sits right next to me and I carry it with me if I go in another room. They are learning to stay on the stand. Now they only fly to me shoulder when they are ready to cuddle or go to bed. Or if they are hungry.

As for the treats, I have some nutri-berries that I was using as a weaning food/treat and the lovebirds just could not bite them. So I broke them into smaller pieces. Now the lovebirds can eat them and they love them.

14. p

pongo New Member Member

steve martin NO not the comedian was one of the first trainers to work with birds free fllighted. He is a great guy and if you have a chance definitely go to one of his speaking engagements. His site 'Natural encounters' has many excellant tips and I completely agree with 'fishies for me' remember ignore unwanted behavior, reward wanted behavior. a win-win situation for everyone. Birds are unique that they are NOT a domesticated species and meeting all of their needs is an endeavor.

your are on the right track...congrats.

ps, also remember to ignore any loud behavior as hard as it may be, my african spent her days at work with me, well one day fire alarm went off.. she thought that was a great sound to repeat (from right behind me) i had to struggle not to jump every time she did it. no response and she got bored after a few and never repeated it thank goodness!!!

15. F

Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

For treats for my parrotlet I use hemp seeds in the shell. He LOVES the things. They can be a little hard to find tho . I found mine on   shipping is a straight $10 so you may want to have a look around and buy some other stuff to make it worth while buying there. I got sprouting seeds...my birds love sprouts, safflower seeds which are another small seed birds seem to love. sunflower seeds which are very large and very hard ... my p'let has a hard time cracking them. I also bought some birdie granola and some spices . Some people give bits of cherrios as a treat also .. or rice krispies. Have you tried feeding her veggies yet? Every morning my 2 budgies and a parrotlet all get cooked foods and veggies for breakfast. The sooner you start the easier it will be for the bird to accept them as food. Sounds like a fantastic little bird.

16. gremlin

Cereals are a great treat. I use chex, crispix, rice crispies, cheerios (multi-grain as well as regular), fiber one, basically any of the cereals that are not sugar coated. They make a great weaning food also. Cooked carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, lima beans, etc all work well also.

17. CHoffman

CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Awww. What a sweet little guy!! He is beautiful. Congrads! The GCC are a great conure! Good luck with him. Sounds like he's being spoiled already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice