My New Eclipse Catfish

NeonRasta
I just got an eclipse catfish that I am hosing in my 20 gallon long to grow him out. I will be transferring him into a 200 gallon south american tank when he gets a little larger. Here is a picture let me know what you think.
e802a1e4dab6cbee8fc4b7b952aeac6f.jpg

2211Nighthawk
Oh that is cool. One thing I’d be worried about is the 20 gallon size. I know he’s gonna go in a bigger tank but a 20 gallon is a tiny growout tank for something that’s gonna go into a 200g. But I don’t know. I have no idea on the size it’s gonna get slash will get.

Five 97
18" specimens have been found in the wild, but in aquaria, they usually don't get past 12". Agreed with Nighthawk, a 20 gallon is really too small to serve as a growout. What all do you have in the 200 gallon SA tank? Are you worried about the sun catfish getting eaten?

NeonRasta
Should I put him in my 75 as a growout then my 200? Or do you think I can keep him in my 75 his whole life?

NeonRasta
18" specimens have been found in the wild, but in aquaria, they usually don't get past 12". Agreed with Nighthawk, a 20 gallon is really too small to serve as a growout. What all do you have in the 200 gallon SA tank? Are you worried about the sun catfish getting eaten?
In the 200 I have 2 green terrors 1 oscar 2 spotted raphael catfish 5 tbarbs and soon 2 bristlenose pleco that are being grown out in my 20 gallon long they are 2 inches right now

Five 97
A 75 gallon would be too small to house it as an adult, but it's definitely a better growout (temporary) option than the 20g. How big is the sun catfish currently?

NeonRasta
A 75 gallon would be too small to house it as an adult, but it's definitely a better growout (temporary) option than the 20g. How big is the sun catfish currently?
It is 2 inches maybe possibly 3

Five 97
It is 2 inches maybe possibly 3
Still little, growing him out may be safer, assuming the GTs and oscar are significantly larger. The 75 gallon should work for growing him out to a safer size (I'd say at least 5-6"). Is there going to be any other fish in the 75 gallon with him?

NeonRasta
Still little, growing him out may be safer, assuming the GTs and oscar are significantly larger. The 75 gallon should work for growing him out to a safer size (I'd say at least 5-6"). Is there going to be any other fish in the 75 gallon with him?
Just a couple of pleco's

NeonRasta
Well I just got rid of my oscar because he was too messy

Five 97
Well I just got rid of my oscar because he was too messy
Oh, did you introduce the sun catfish to the 200g? Sorry you had to rehome your oscar.

Revterry
I had a cat like that in my 75 for over a decade growing up, he got to about 10 inches and lived thru a lot.

iancrayguy
Nice catfish there haha I like how he’s resting on your decor and minding his own business, you can always just if he gets to big give him to someone that’s what I plan with my red tailed catfish. Yours looks nice and healthy!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bubbles135
Replies
Views
Zahc
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Top Bottom