My new convicts!

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by klogue2, Jan 12, 2013.

1. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I picked up some TSS and two convict cichlids, as well as some long fin zebra/gold zebra danios! I hadn't realized my LFS carried TSS, because I never saw it in stock before. But ya, here's my two little girls! They only had girls, and the darker one of mine was the one with the smallest amount of orange on her belly, but none with absolutely zero orange unfortunately. Was kind of looking forward to seeing their breeding habits :)
    Without further ado, here they are! Please don't mind the snail eggs lol, I can't scrape them off all the way)

GEDC2532.jpg
    GEDC2536.jpg
    GEDC2542.jpg
    GEDC2549.jpg
    GEDC2550.jpg
    GEDC2561.jpg
    GEDC2562.jpg
    GEDC2546.jpg
    GEDC2558.jpg

2. lllllbladerWell Known MemberMember

Nice cichlids!

3. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

be happy you only had girls i had a pair that would not stop breeding the tank had over 100 1 inch fish ... had a field day trying to get people to take them for free. There was other large fish eating fish in there didn't touch the population. Mice / rabbits of the fish world

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

They're adorable!

What kind of substrate is that? It looks wonderful in that tank!

5. M0T0Valued MemberMember

very pretty girls, I also have a few that look very similar, love the blue on them!

6. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks everyone! The substrate is Estes Black ultra reef sand :)

7. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

They look great, you may get to see some breeding habits anyway. those 2 girls may begin to throw eggs together. have had all female pairs in the past do this.
    it is actually kind of neat because you get to watch a bit of the habits without having the fry,

8. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Oh I see! That's awesome :)

9. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

They look lovely!!!! love the black sand in there with them, really brings out their bars.

Looks like the Love the cave you created for them!!

10. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Thanks! I had originally thought I was getting a pair, so I built that cave for them to breed in since I know they probably would have. But these two love it as well! Always swimming around or in it. I guess it could be that they're timid still, but they seem more like exploring it.

I've pegged the lighter colored one the submissive one, and the darker one is the more aggressive, dominant one. I've seen her chase off a danio from their cave a couple times lol! Very interesting as I've never had experience with aggressive fish.
    These two seem to really like each other, I'm glad they get along out of the ones I chose. They follow each other everywhere, though occasionally split up to explore.

I did notice, since the cave is built against the glass where I can look in it, that the sand has been rearranged into two little craters. Does this mean they think it's time to breed?

11. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

You haven't seen agression yet, if one throws eggs they will guard them very agressively, no matter if they are 2 females or not. that is where you will want to keep a close eye on them. they will have no problem killing another fish if they do not take to their warnings.
    they do begin to move the sand around, but most cichlids do, it doesn't necessarily mean they might be ready to spawn. but they are a fun species to watch.

12. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I have wrigglers!! I'm certain they are wrigglers. Is this possible with two females? The darker convict has barely any orange but there's definitely a spec on her tummy. Her fins are a little pointed too.
    I figured they could lay eggs, but not get wrigglers!

13. CatfishJackWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing one is really a him and not a her.

Out of curiosity, RE your original post: why is less orange desirable? Personal preference? Something I don't know about Convicts?

14. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Orange on the stomach indicates a female who is ready to breed, I was just planning on getting a m/f pair so that's why I looked for one with little to no orange :) I guess some males can have a tiny bit of orange!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice