My New Cichlids

chowes

Reaction score
These are my new babies. Five more are coming in the mail in a week or so!

My orange zebra

munching some algae

yellow lab

lab again

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats and glad those beauties arrived safely.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That first one looks more like a peacock then a zebra. Though its a very weird looking peacock....idk, doesn't look like any peacock i've ever seen. But the fins, especially the blue striated pattern on the dorsal fin screem peacock. Definitely not a pure orange/red zebra. I'm interested to how it will turn out, i actually like it.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Slug said:
That first one looks more like a peacock then a zebra. Though its a very weird looking peacock....idk, doesn't look like any peacock i've ever seen. But the fins, especially the blue striated pattern on the dorsal fin screem peacock. Definitely not a pure orange/red zebra. I'm interested to how it will turn out, i actually like it.
I have seen forms of these, almost pink. Definitely aquarium bred, but cool all the same.
Nice shots. How big are these guys...they look young? Which may explain the peacock vs zebra dilemma.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree.. very pretty fish for sure! I love the white one ... it is adorable. ;D

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Allie said:
I have seen forms of these, almost pink. Definitely aquarium bred, but cool all the same.
Nice shots. How big are these guys...they look young? Which may explain the peacock vs zebra dilemma.
I have a pearl red zebra, he was very pale and "peacock" looking when he was young. Yours look very small, Im guessing 1-1.5 inch size juvies?

chowes

Reaction score
The "zebra" is about 3 inches. The lab is about 1.5.
Is he a lab? He does have stripes sort of but he was labeled as a yellow lab.

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a pretty cool zebra. My orange zebra is bright orange. It's cool how different strains can be bred.

chowes

Reaction score
I really love his color. The other fish in the tank was darker but I sort of liked his color. He was different. It took forever to get him to pose for a picture.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a young lab to me yes.

chowes

Reaction score
Thanks SLug.

cichlidlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
pretty

your fish are beautiful i love the first 1 its too bad my tank is full

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congrats on your new babies! They are adorable!

rifter098

Valued Member
Reaction score
very cute fish! the 1st one is very cool looking, but idk what it is...the members on www.malawimayhem.com might be able to give you a little more help than i can

at first glance i would guess a yellow lab, but there are other malawis that are that same color as juvies...you just have to wait for maturity to get a definite ID on some of those little guys

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
rifter098 said:
very cute fish! the 1st one is very cool looking, but idk what it is...the members on www.malawimayhem.com might be able to give you a little more help than i can

at first glance i would guess a yellow lab, but there are other malawis that are that same color as juvies...you just have to wait for maturity to get a definite ID on some of those little guys
You shouldn't have to. Labs look like labs when they are "born."

rifter098

Valued Member
Reaction score
hehe...i have no experience with labs o well, thanks for correcting me

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
rifter098 said:
hehe...i have no experience with labs o well, thanks for correcting me
No problem I have a bad habit or correcting people when I have experience with certain fish. Some people take it the
wrong but most appreciate it.

chowes

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I really love them. I'm looking forward to watching them grow up. Any chance anyone can tell me the gender on the first one?

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
chowes said:
Thanks guys. I really love them. I'm looking forward to watching them grow up. Any chance anyone can tell me the gender on the first one?
Now that's something that you have to wait for...usally by 2" with labs you can see by their behavior, and the dark black tips.strip on the male's anal and dorsal fins

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seeing that picture i'm going to go ahead and guess male. It really does look like a peacock, and peacock females don't have that blue or any color really on their fins.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom