My new Bristle Nose plecos!

1. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +840
    These are my first BN plecos and a want to make sure they are happy.Bernie is the grey/brown one and Bailey is the Albino. I have zucchini floating in their tank and drift wood for them to rasp on. They are in a 2.5 gal tank for a few weeks while my 29 is cycling. I have Algae wafers for them also. Is there anything else I need for them?
    IMG_4153.jpg IMG_4152.jpg

2. NCE12940

NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fresh veggies - zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, shelled peas, etc. They'll also eat leftover food from the other fish. And they should have some wood to graze on - driftwood, cholla, etc. Also hiding places - pleco caves, etc. But if they're both males they're not going to get along, particularly in a 29g. I have 2 in a 45g and they do not like each other! The smaller of mine is going to a new home soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Ratings:
    +840
    Thanks! They do have driftwood but are too small to sex yet. as soon as I know if they are both boys or not they will/wont be in the same tank There is a small hollow in the driftwood where Bernie likes to hide but they will be getting a cave soon.

4. NCE12940

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine have never actually hurt each other, just a torn fin or so, but... The smaller one, whose name I can't repeat here, has finally learned to avoid big Paz. It's only taken him six weeks to figure that out.

5. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Ratings:
    +840
    At least they haven't hurt each other.

6. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Beautiful Plecos! I love all mine, especially my BN pleco's. They are usually active during the day too so I get to see them quite a bit! You just need lots of caves, driftwood, and fresh veggies a couple times a week. Otherwise sinking algae wafers for normal diet.

Also try sticking a fork through your zucchini to stick it to the bottom, they have a hard time finding floating food.

7. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Ratings:
    +840
    Thanks! I like them too:) I wasn't sure if a fork would be safe because of soap.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,722
    BN plecos are awesome. Mine is so active and shows himself all during the day, unlike my last pleco. (not a BN)

9. NCE12940

Ratings:
    +1
  10. k9z3boys

k9z3boys Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am so jealous!! yours looks so awesome I wanted a regular bristlenose but they are so hard to find around here... my( well....dh) albino is quite a character-we named him Kubota cause he's a lawnmower...haha.
    I wondered about having 2- with lots of space and 2 driftwoods.

11. NCE12940

Ratings:
    +1
    Paz is pretty awesome as he gets bigger. His usual color is black; very dramatic! The *other one* tends to be more brown but he's the one that gets chased. They're both great lawnmowers as well :D The 7 babies are too young to sex yet (6 super reds and one brown/white long fin).

12. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Ratings:
    +840
    Wow I will definitely look in to that pleco feeder:)

13. NCE12940

Ratings:
    +1
    They have 2 different lengths. I have one of each - long one for the 45g and the shorter one for the 10g. It's great, don't have to fish around in the tank to place or retrieve veggies.