My new bolivian baby

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So yesterday I picked up my keyhole and bolivian ram! so exciting they were a little slow to come out at first, even with the lights off, but a couple hours drip acclimation and careful handling seems to have done them well. I'm pretty sure that I got a male ram here, and I couldn't get a good focused picture of him so I thought video might be easier. Plus you can see my keyhole Anybody able to confirm the Ram's maleness?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What beautiful fish. I love your tank, I really love the logs they are so cool.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It is hard to say if you have a male bolivian or not. But, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say male.

Good luck with your new babies!

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So when I was proposing the idea of these two dwarfs together people said watch for the keyhole being mean, but the ram so far is an a-hole. He chases the keyhole if he sees him for about an hour after food hits the tank. then usually chases him the rest of the day. Is this likely to reduce as territories settle or the keyhole grows? or is the ram just gonna be like that and I need to rehome one of them? I've only had them 2 days.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was worried I thought someone stuck bolivian baby in a fish tank lol.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say your ram is a male

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
brokenwing said:
I was worried I thought someone stuck bolivian baby in a fish tank lol.
If they did, they'd throw me back in a couple hours

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
NC_OBS said:
So when I was proposing the idea of these two dwarfs together people said watch for the keyhole being mean, but the ram so far is an a-hole. He chases the keyhole if he sees him for about an hour after food hits the tank. then usually chases him the rest of the day. Is this likely to reduce as territories settle or the keyhole grows? or is the ram just gonna be like that and I need to rehome one of them? I've only had them 2 days.
I would watch to make sure the keyhole is able to get food and doesn't show any signs of stress. If the ram continues his aggressive behavior, you may need to think of rehoming him. You may have simply ended up with a ram that is more aggressive.

Make sure you have plenty of hiding places as well as plants/decor to break the line of sight. This should help to reduce the aggression.

Good luck!

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My original stocking was a baby, but then people told me a ram would be more compatible with the barbs.
and ya, there're enough plants and a couple caves he can avoid the ram, just doesn't most of the time.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know this question would do better in a different thread, but since I already have this thread open...

If the Ram doesn't chill out would Curviceps be a safe alternative perhaps? Thinking if he stays mean maybe I'll take him back to the store for credit and trade him for a Dwarf flag or two. What do you guys think? Are they overly fragile water-wise?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NC_OBS said:
I know this question would do better in a different thread, but since I already have this thread open...

If the Ram doesn't chill out would Curviceps be a safe alternative perhaps? Thinking if he stays mean maybe I'll take him back to the store for credit and trade him for a Dwarf flag or two. What do you guys think? Are they overly fragile water-wise?
My bolivians are aggressive as well. Usually it's to each other, though.

I've kept keyhole cichlids and curviceps in the same tank and they've done well together so far (3 months). I've since moved my keyholes to another tank, but not because of aggression.

Hope this helps!

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I got home today and it appears the cichlids have settled their differences. they were quite happily swimming right by eachother and I only saw one chasing by the ram while they were eating. Guess they just needed some time to sort things out. Additionally they've both picked up some color, the Ram has BRIGHT yellow chest and bluish head, and the keyhole has just filled deeper. They're also not glued to the bottom of the tank today, they were all over! Yay, now it just has to hold out this way.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads