My new blood parrot and kenyi african blue cichlid - Page 2

Hashsohail

Basically today I woke up fed the fish and they all ate and were fine but I have noticed , 2 of the parrots are scratching "flashing" themselves with the ornaments. Why is that so? I did gravel vacum yest and replaced 50% of the water, added salt and antI chlorine to it. White spots don't seem to appear anymore I have examined all the fish no white spots left on them. What could be the reason? Or it is just because of the yeaterday nights water change?

I really wanted oscars, heard they are too friendly, shame I can't get them dot have big enough tank (

Is my fish behaviour normal? They are eating and swimming perfect

Eienna

Fish will sometimes just be itchy, but they may not completely be over the ich yet. You must continue treating until at least one week after the last spot is gone.

No oscar for you, sorry They are cool but can be very mean to other fish.

Silver dollars need a school of around 6 and get to 6" (sometimes more). This is far too much for your size tank, so they are not OK either.

antidevil12

Dear Hashsohail every disease take time to heal just like in human for example if u had flu (not meaning u have a flu its just for explaining u). then it can take 5 to 14 days depending upon the medicine u taking and ur immune system (how quickly it make antI bodies). So fish is living thing like us (obviously it had different anatomy then to us). So my point is nothing cure in a flush so just relax and fellow Eienna and aquarist48 advise and keep good water quality. And last but not least enjoy the hobby!

Hashsohail

Thanks guysss :// thank you so much for the helppp....

Just concerned about why do they hide and come out if I stay still infront of tank and if I move they hid again instantly :// lolll any other tiny fish I could keep please?

Eienna

Because if you're just sitting calmly, they start to think, oh, maybe it's not gonna eat me...and then you move and they go OH MY GOSH IT'S COMING RUUUUUN! XD

There are quite a few things you can keep with blood parrots. Larger tetras, barbs, mollies...basically, peaceful fish that will not fit in their mouths.

Hashsohail

Lolll haha einna, I guess they think exact the same lol, I bought 2 rainbow sharks and parrots are now swimming without gettin scared lol. I guess they were just waiting for a "dither" fish which can swim carelessly without getting scared and now they are not scared of me.

Ok now the main thing

I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE:

I bought a pair of very fast "Blue line shark/iridiscent shark"

They are swimming well and no one is fighting and parrots love them.

BUT I JUST READ ON THE INTERNET THEY GROW UPTO 4 feet long WWTHHH HAHA
I AM SCARED NOw :/ is that true? Everyone is happy in my tank at the moment. How long does it take for this fish to grow large and maybe thn incan return it :/ lolll

antidevil12

It take 6 year to them to take it max size (I even seen 5 feet Blue Line Shark on PC Hotel Lahore ). When they are younger they grow 6-9 inch each year (if properly feeded). By the way they also taste good

saqib

hI sohail, iridiscent shark commonly known in our country as blue line are an absolutely NO NO for the tank size that you've got there (45 gallons), DO NOT plan on getting an oscar for that tank size either.

Dont fall for advises from the local fish stores, I have yet to come across any in Pakistan who has even the slightest idea.

I've been keeping fish since the last decade almost and fishlore is the best thing to have happened, welcome aboard. I've had my fair share of newbie mistakes over the years and have learned much from them; so ping me whenever you feel like.

Hashsohail

Thanks a lot saqib,

I am going to get rid of them today asap, should I get clown loach? Will they be okay?

Help:

I had ich outburst previously and it did and I did cure it with temp but one of the parrot is getting ick back again :"( please guide me, only one parrot has ick now rest are clean but this one parrot getting more nd more ick day bhI day.

I seriously don't want to lead any fish, all three parrots fish perfect but one which has ick comea out only to eat food and thn hides back again.

Aquarist

Good morning,

Please go back to post #2 in this thread and be sure to click on all of the links given, especially the Bloody Parrot Advice link.

Ich:

For future reference, I highly recommend the Increased Heat Method for Treating Ich:

My treatment for ICH without Medications w/100% survival rate:

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
Garlic Guard:

Making your own juice, recipe:
"Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

It may take more than 1 try when using Garlic. If the fish ignore the foods soaked in garlic, try it again the next day. Be careful not to over feed your fish!

The information above comes from the link below:

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

ICH may appear to get worse, before it gets better. It may take several days before you see a decrease in the white spots/parasite.

It is not recommended to use the increased heat method along with medications. Choose 1 or the other. I only suggest medications if you are experiencing fish loss.

Once the ICH has been removed via the heat treatment, there is no need to treat again with medications. Remember you are trying to mimic a natural environment and the fewer chemicals and medications you use, the better off your fish are going to be.

Amphibians and Invertebrates are not susceptible to ICH.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Quarantine!

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

Eienna

You must return one rainbow shark and the iridescents. The rainbows are strictly one per tank unless your setup is gigantic. Otherwise, they will kill each other.

Clown loaches get too big for your tank, although I have heard of them self-limiting to smaller sizes in somewhat smaller tanks than their established minimum. They shoud have at least a 6ft long tank. There are several other loach species that would do just fine, however, so keep an eye out. Corydoras species catfish of various types would work perfectly too. Nobody here minds if you run something by us before doing it, and I believe it's really best that you do so you are not depending on the advice of one person who may be clueless.

saqib

HI sohail,
for now the best thing that you can do is to stick to a 20~25% water change daily with gravel vac.(make sure that the new water has a similar if not exact temp as the one is the tank)
up the temperature to 30C and add an extra air stone.

Do not introduce any new fish for now, treat the ICH first and once you are confident that its all gone only then can you think of adding new fish.

clown loaches can too get really big but they are extremely slow growers.

Hashsohail

Okay saqib and aquarist and einna,

You all are amazing people, I returned the blue line shark and returned one of the ruby shark, I now only have 4 parrots and one ruby shark

I bought a pack of dried bloodworms and my o my all the parts went crazy on them :// I did the water change today and temp is now 30C. I won't move the temp for 2 weeks now. Everyone say only the temp cures the fish pretty well ))

CodyJ

Good it should help now

Eienna

Sounds good. Just make sure you vacuum the gravel well with each water change, so you remove ich spores and don't allow a buildup of waste down there.

Hashsohail

One of the parrot is stuck behind just one place and only comes out to eat. An swimming in a slight bit funny way. Is that swim bladder? How should I cure her. Its the only parrot who has now swimmbladder and ich spots lol ****? :/

I just fed him peas and hea swimming way better thn in the morning now :/ ill keep an eye on him. Hes not hiding anymore

Aquarist

Good morning,

Bloody Parrots will swim in every direction possible including upside down. I have seen my Bloody Parrots swim upside down all the way across my 7' tank (265g). I'm not convinced that this is really an issue at this point for your fish. If the fish is always swimming oddly, then there might be cause for concern.

Too, if there is a swim bladder issue and the fish is not constipated, then there is really nothing you can do for the fish. Sometimes the bladder may burst by being attacked by a tank mate. Visible signs are erratic swimming for sure to the point they can not swim vertically.

If you have the means, a video of the fish in question would surely help.

Best wishes!

Ken

Aquarist

"Ken thanks man, the way you described sounds horrible lol and my parrot is swimming perfect. She might be scared I just fed her peas and she ate them well. Hope she farts if she has excess oxygen
"...Hashsohail

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that your Bloody Parrot is doing better.

I have moved your post requesting Fish ID Help to create a new thread, link below:

This will help to keep this thread on topic and help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!

Ken

Hashsohail

Can I keep zebra danios woth my parrts? Around 6 zebras?
I want to keep a DITHER fish please. Any suggestions? I want small fish which could school and act as dither fish to parrots aswell?

Hashsohail

My tankk

Here is a picture of my gorgwous tank D I have spent fortune on it (I am not that rich lol)

And this is what I have in my tank )

P.s these tiny cichlids are going back to the fishstore tomorrow asap

Please tellme how can I improve is more. Its 60 gallon

Cichlidnut

Zebra danio's should be fine with blood parrots. If you can get Giant Danio's those are even better. The Blood Parrots look healthy on your pictures. Adding a few more caves would be appreciated by them.

Hashsohail

Right so guys I have bought 8 zebra fish and returned the cichlids back.

Now I have 2 yellow parrots and 2 orange parrots,
1 ruby shark, 8 zebra danios, one pleco in 60 Gallon tank.

))

I hope parrots don't eat them or I hope they don't nip parrots fins

Hashsohail

Guys question pleaseeee...

Can angelfish live with parrots,???

MArble angelfishhh???

Eienna

Angels could live with parrots but I would not put them with the danios or the shark, personally. As far as your tank, it is best for Blood Parrots to have lots of hiding places. If you add any, though, make sure to put in at least one per fish all at the same time or they could start fighting over the caves.

Lucy

Hashsohail said:
Guys question pleaseeee...
Please be patient.

It's only been an hour and fifteen minutes since you asked.

Sometimes you have to wait for the right member to come on line who can help you.

Hashsohail

Lucy are you okay?

Calm down love my first post was about telling what fish I finally habe and the most previous one was question asking about angelfish. If your that annoyed I would suggest lucy you should not post any comment please.

No hard feelings.
Cheers.

Hey einna,
Thanks for the gem reply. Basically my brother in dubaI wanted to keep a pair of angels with 2 bp and ge has 90 gall tank. I always thought angels are tropical and not to put them with south americans loll.

I am happy with my 4 bps and danios for now.

There are 3 caves/ (2 pots and 1 huge glass). So basically 3 caves for parrots.

An I have a submarine for rainbow shark and he loves hiding and swimming in and out.

Zebra danios are at te top all the time. Ill post some pics too soon as soon as I come online from pc.
Cheers

I ju

Lucy

Hashsohail said:
Lucy are you okay?

Calm down love my first post was about telling what fish I finally habe and the most previous one was question asking about angelfish. If your that annoyed I would suggest lucy you should not post any comment please.

No hard feelings.
Cheers.
Excuse me but it's very rude to bump a stocking thread in such a short amount of time.

We ask that you practice proper netiquette on the forum. That includes being patient.

There are more pressing threads that are being bumped down due impatience.

Lucy

Hashsohail,
I'm sorry.
I do owe you an apology.

I only noticed the time stamp not the date.
Posts 73 and 74 were 24 hours apart.

dturcotte15

ich has an outstanding turnaround rate if medicated I had a pleco and a platy that were 100% covered, you can buy ich tablets or liquid medication (I prefer the liquid form) and when you use medication make sure your carbon filter is out. and medicate (directions are usually on the product) for about 4 days BOOM no more ich simple

Hashsohail

Hey lucy,

Its okay

Hey drcoutte,

I have "finally" cured ich with heat method. And the tank looks healthy )

One of y parrots han unuual gills as compared to other bps. His gills expand more than they are supposed to. Is that something to worry about? He has been like this the day I got him. He eats well swims well and plays well though is it just a defrmation he has?

Eienna

South American fish are part of the tropical group since it's so warm there. The problem is the shark's aggression and how much the danios can nip. The angels are too slow and have fins that are long, so they could get pretty ripped up.

Hashsohail

Now that I am gettig rid of danios. Will it be a good idea to house 2 angelfish with 4 parrots and a white rainbow shark?

Hashsohail

I see them again they are so many of them on the gravel bed. What are those? I am scared are those paracites? They have very very tiny tail and have 2 tentacle but are very very small walking on glass or the gravel bed :"( please tellme I am scared

I googled my description and they look sort of similar to CYCLOPS OR CINEPODEs? What are those things :"""@(

Eienna

(from ) You mean like this? If so, it's OK. They're just little invertebrates. They may damage fish eggs but they will not likely hurt fish (and many fish may find them tasty once they figure out what they are!)

You might be able to do that. I don't know. I still don't like the idea of the angels with the shark (come to think of it, I've heard of sharks attacking angelfish).

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom