My new big red oscars!

kano5003

These are my red oscars there about 12 cm long and there big and there going to get bigger. do you reakon this is a big enought tank please help its 3 foot across by 1 and a half foot thick and 2 foot up it holds 150 litres. I need some help from people that used to have oscars or people that do have oscars all I want to know if any one else has them in a 3 foot aquarium thanks for reading please leave a message.

kerryve

HI there, your babys look great! how many do you have? ok if its just one, they need at least 50gallons, 2 125 gallons and a group need about 240gallons or more, ive got a 300g tank that's about 1200litres and they have territory issues in there even though its so big. I think the best size for your oscars is probably closer to 600litres, althought that tank looks larger than 150litres are you sure that's correct?

I worked it out on the aquarium calculator your tank is about 50gallons - about 190 litres according to the measurements you gave. that's only ok for one oscar.

kano5003

kano5003 said:
These are my red oscars there about 12 cm long and there big and there going to get bigger. do you reakon this is a big enought tank please help its 3 foot across by 1 and a half foot thick and 2 foot up it holds 150 litres. I need some help from people that used to have oscars or people that do have oscars all I want to know if any one else has them in a 3 foot aquarium thanks for reading please leave a message.
ok its about 170 litres and I got 2 red tiger oscars but at the shops they say that's fine but also I'm from australia so our gallons and litres are less than urs I think thanks please reply

kano5003 said:
kano5003 said:
ok its about 170 litres and I got 2 red tiger oscars but at the shops they say that's fine but also I'm from australia so our gallons and litres are less than urs I think thanks please reply
yeah that sounds about rite

kerryve

ok, No I'm from South Africa, our litres are the same but there are us gallons and uk gallons theyre different. so we will work in litres... your oscars are ok for now cos like you said they only 12cm but they grow 1.5 cm a month. that's really fast! they slow down once they get to 15cm. the problem is that they are very messy fish in a tank that size they would need water changes twice a week and later when they are fully grown to about 35-40cm that definintely won't be big enough for them. like I said 1 oscar would be fine, would you be able to get at least a 500litre tank for the two?

kano5003

kerryve said:
ok, No I'm from South Africa, our litres are the same but there are us gallons and uk gallons theyre different. so we will work in litres... your oscars are ok for now cos like you said they only 12cm but they grow 1.5 cm a month. that's really fast! they slow down once they get to 15cm. the problem is that they are very messy fish in a tank that size they would need water changes twice a week and later when they are fully grown to about 35-40cm that definintely won't be big enough for them. like I said 1 oscar would be fine, would you be able to get at least a 500litre tank for the two?
yeah but umm yea ya see it says they grow to 20 cm max on all australia web sites and all my aquarium shops nearby

kerryve said:
can red tiger oscars get along with any other cichlids my big red oscar origonly went with 3 striped cichlids(about 3 cm long)and they ate 1 of them had to give them away please give some suggestions thanks

kerryve

well just checking 1cm = 10mm? just incase. You see my oscars are already almost a foot long! Astrodam is 28cm and Captain cook is 18cm and neither of them are fully grown. they get to 15 - 16 inches ive heard of bigger.

Jack Dempseys tend to get along well with oscars and visa versa. are you looking to have a cichlid only tank?

kano5003

kerryve said:
Jack Dempseys tend to get along well with oscars and visa versa.  are you looking to have a cichlid only tank?
ohh just looking cause I got a 300 litre look at it on the top post and I got about 100 litre aquarium with 2 breeding rainbow cichlid so yeah.

Isabella

Beautiful fish and a beautiful tank, however you need about 208 liters of water per ONE Oscar. Which means you need at least a 416 liter tank for 2 Oscars alone.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom