My New Bi Color Angel Fish Is Not Eating Help

Discussion in 'Angelfish - Saltwater' started by sanjay7, Jan 30, 2019.

1. sanjay7

sanjay7Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    I got a big color angel fish 2 days back . He is but active than first day . But he moves behind the rocks in the back side of the tank . He is in the bottom for most of the time and in the caves . How to feed ? I shrimp and pellets . Or will it take time for him to take food ? [​IMG]

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    1 year
    How big is your tank? Bicolors are a bigger member of the Dwarf Angel Species (get up to 6 inches in length) and unless your tank is 4 feet long it will not do well in it long term. Bicolors are also one of the more difficult to keep Dwarf Angels. It's not uncommon for a Dwarf Angel to prefer to graze on algae around the tank and then later adapt to food. Pellets are a garbage food source IMHO. Frozen foods are best and in particular LRS Reef Frenzy (it's all I feed my tank these days) encourage fish to eat as it offers a literal all you can eat buffet variety diet for just about any fish. I would strongly encourage picking some up, a little goes a long way with that stuff. If that still doesn't work then get some Kent's Marine Garlic and get a little water from your tank and mash up a small bit of reef frenzy and then add a drop of garlic to it. I have yet to meet a fish that will turn that combo down.

3. OP
    OP
    sanjay7

Ratings:
    +26
    My tank is almost 20g. I will probably upgrade in two months . Can you suggest me some homemade food ? I don't think those are available at my lfs

4. OP
    OP
    sanjay7

Ratings:
    +26
    @Jesterrace can you help me out with this

5. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    1 year
    20 gallon is WAY TOO SMALL for that fish. They need a 4 foot long tank to do well long term. @sanjay do you have the option to buy seafood and then cut it up and freeze it and feed it a bit each day? That is about as close as you get to Reef Frenzy without having it available. Bicolors are one of the more difficult dwarf angels to have long term success with, partially because they can be finicky about getting to eat. Do you have access to dried seaweed/nori? A clip with a small bit of that could help it transition from it's normal algae grazing habits. It's not uncommon for Dwarf Angels to spend a few weeks grazing around the tank and eating nothing else (My Coral Beauty did it for about a week), but the seaweed/nori may help it adjust. Here is my CB and other fish feeding from a clip:

6. OP
    OP
    sanjay7

Ratings:
    +26
    Seaweed is not available here . Yes I can get seafood . Like shrimp fish etc. I will try to upgrade my tank in 2 months . I tried shrimp 2 days ago. He didn't bother. I will try it again tomorrow . There is dry shrimp at my lfs . Will that work ?

7. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    1 year
    Generally fish prefer fresh/frozen over dried. Do you have an oriental food shop nearby, you can generally purchase Nori from them.

8. OP
    OP
    sanjay7

Ratings:
    +26
    I will look for it . I will get fresh shrimp tomorrow