My New Betta

LucineT

Valued Member
Reaction score
I went to a nearby petstore today to get some water conditioner for my tanks at work. And right next to the water conditioner was a betta shelf. They had a few cups of bettas and what was being marketed as the betta tank- a less than half gallon fish tank that looked like a water bottle.

These betta fishes have been on the shelf for the past few weeks. I haven't paid much attention because Poseidon had dropsy and I was too stressed out to linger over any new fishes but today I noticed the state of the cups the bettas were in. There was just a layer of poop on the ground and the water levels were so low.

There were only three bettas left and I only have one tank that is currently not under quarantine or housing a betta fish. So I only could bring one guy home. So meet Finn. I thought he was black at first but under better lighting and in his one gallon quarantine tank- he seems to be a dark blue.

I'm not sure what tail he has or how healthy he is considering my luck with betta fishes as of late.

The plants from Poseidon's tank are still in quarantine so I'll be getting new plants for him. I've never kept a betta fish in a one gallon before so should I be doing a 100% water change every day until the 5 gallon is properly set up and running?

Also what kind of betta is he? I never had one with such a small tail and fins. I got him because he seemed the least aggressive out of his brothers and also he had a cute spot on the top of his head.

Sorry for the long rambling story, I'm just really glad to have a little guy to look after.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He looks like either a delta or halfmoon. You can tell better when he flares. If his flared tail makes a perfect D shape, he's a halfmoon. If it's less than that he's a delta.

LucineT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dch48 said:
He looks like either a delta or halfmoon. You can tell better when he flares. If his flared tail makes a perfect D shape, he's a halfmoon. If it's less than that he's a delta.
He wasn't very interested in flaring when I took the card out from between the cups. His neighbour/brother went mad but he just sort of laid there. So far it doesn't look like a perfect D when he's dancing though

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I like the Halfmoons the best and then the Deltas. I don't really care for the Crowntails or Veiltails. Some double tails look good, others not so much.

LucineT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dch48 said:
Personally I like the Halfmoons the best and then the Deltas. I don't really care for the Crowntails or Veiltails. Some double tails look good, others not so much.
Fish was a half moon and he was beautiful. Poseidon was sort of a rosetail dumbo and I loved him but he always had trouble swimming so never again. And Sushi is a solid red crowntail.

Veiltails and plakats are the ones I have the least interest in- no idea why. Still- never liked crowntails either until I laid eyes on little Sushi so who knows what the future holds xD

LucineT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mazeus said:
Very pretty. I've never seen such a dark betta in the stores near me.
His brothers were a lighter blue with yellow fins so I wonder if he'll change colours to match them once he's in a cleaner home

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom