My New Betta Tank!!!:D

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got a new Betta tank last Sunday. At least I think it was last Sunday . . . .might have been 2 Sundays ago . . . . .Yes, it was a week ago last Sunday. Sorry, I have a head cold and can't think as clearly as I'd like. So, at first, I just put Charlemagne in there from the community cuz his fins kept getting shorter and shorter at had several rips in them. He spend most of his time hiding, and seemed unhappy, so I put him in as soon as I could. Well, after he was in his new home, he started building the biggest bubblenests I've ever seen!!!!!! Seriously, they extended the length of the short end of the tank and out 2 or 3 inches!!!! Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic soon enough and they got ruined. So, after about a week, I added a divider and Wolfgang. Charlemagne started building bubblenests again, but not quite as big as before. So, Tuesday evening I was at Wal-Mart and we stopped by the fish section to pick up a new decoration for the tank. It's a log with silk flowers coming out of it. So, as I was putting it in, I accidentally bumped the divider. It wasn't moved out of position in the front, so I forgot about it while admiring my new decoration. I left the room for a minute, and when I came back, Charlemagne was in Wolfgang's side!!! In my panic, I shoved my hand in there and tried to move Charlemagne back to his side. Didn't work, so I ran through the house grabbed the net and ran back. I moved C. back to his apartment, adjusted the divider, and went to put the net away. My sister came running right as I was about to put the net away and yelled "HE'S GOTTEN BACK THROUGH!" I went running back there, bumped into her, and finally made it into my room. They were actually flaring and circling this time. I netted the first Betta that came to hand, and discovered what was wrong the divider. I fixed it, and everything's been cool ever since. So, here are some pics of the tank and my boys' bubblenests. My boys switched apartments during the breakthrough, so the bubblenests in their rooms are actually mostly the others work. The orange one is Wolfgang, and the pink one is Charlemagne. IDK how clearly you can see it in the pic, but when I got him Wolfgang's fins were chewed down to the orange everywhere but on his tail. I'm hoping that the orange coloring will even out eventually. Enjoy!

Attachments

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very nice tank! I like the new log it looks nice. Glad to hear you figured out the problem with your separator. If my two bettas broke through their divider they wouldn't hesitate, one would be dead. Congrats on the new addition!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice work! Glad you got that sorted, looks like Charlemagne feels threatened by the size of Wolfgang's nest in that last pic though lol!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

The tank looks great and the Bettas are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you fixed the divider.

Ken

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What a scare with the divider! Glad you got it fixed.

I have a divided 10 also, probably keep the water level lower than needed but better safe than sorry.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We Have a Jumper!

Hi all, so here's an update on my betta tank. So far we've had 2 adventures.
Charlemagne's adventure
I decided to use the siphon from the 29 gal. to clean the gravel in my betta tank. That was not a very good idea, as I soon discovered, because the siphon is almost as long as the tank itself. So, there was a little game between my bettas and me to see if I could keep them separated, and get the siphon going at the same time. I lost! So, I sent my brother running for the net to keep them separate. No sooner had I netted Charlemagne, than I realized I was now trapped at the tank, and couldn't go for his betta bowl to put him in. My brother can't reach the cup, so he got my sister to get it. I scooped Charlemagne up in the cup, and handed it to my sister, and asked her to put it on her dresser so it would be out of the way. I gave up on the siphon, and went out of the room to get a bowl. Unfortunantly, on my way out, I bumped into my sister who was walking slowly so as not to spill the water. Charlemagne went spilling out on the floor. I grabbed him, and plopped him back it, and took him out to the kitchen. Then, I went back and finished the water change. Meanwhile, my mom went out to kitchen to see Charlemagne. She was looking at him to be sure he was ok, when he splashed her!!! ;D She wrapped his bowl in a dish towel for that! Fortunantly, he's ok, and only has a few minor fin splits in his fins!
Wolfgang's Adventure
Last night, I was in my room getting ready for bed, when I heard this plop. First thing I thought of was my fish, and I was right. Wolfgang jumped the divider!!! (Now I admit, I'm responsible for this, cuz I was so distracted over Charlemage, I forgot to keep the water level as low as it should be. Also, I train both my bettas to jump and take food off my finger, so he had some experience) I really hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been in the room! So, now, the water level is about 3 inches lower than it was, and Wolfgang is on the side with the most current to deter him from even attempting to jump again!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am getting a 10 gallon. I want to put a betta in but I've not been thinking about dividing it until now. Is a 10 gallon to big for one betta for some reason?

GoFish123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My boys switched apartments during the breakthrough, so the bubblenests in their rooms are actually mostly the others work.
LOL! I wonder if that messed with their heads or if they even realized "hey that's not my saliva..."

Do you think C. will be ok, with his split fin? I heard that a little bit of aquarium salt and a higher temp. would help to prevent fin rot, especially if he fell on the floor with god knows what on it...

Anyway, the pics of those bubble nests made me go "Whoa!" Your boys are some busy & healthy fish! The tank looks awesome btw!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very nice looking tank! Your boys are lucky that you, your brother and sister are keeping an eye on them!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you think C. will be ok, with his split fin? I heard that a little bit of aquarium salt and a higher temp. would help to prevent fin rot, especially if he fell on the floor with god knows what on it...
There's no need for salt, it can be irritating to your betta, it's not advised really. There's no way to "prevent" fin rot as such, but daily water changes to keep his water pristine, plus Stress Coat and Vita-Chem if you can find it, will heal his fins up in no time.

Good luck!

GoFish123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So far you are the only one I've run across who is advising against it. I did a Google search on aquarium salt + bettas and most of the results say it is good for them.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q="aquarium+salt"+bettas&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CfA5-YRcqTIoflb7rA8vm3cYIAAAAqgQFT9C1UAo&fp=556ecf6785f053d4

The most credible is from bettatalk.com:

If you always add aquarium salt to your betta’s water (1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 2 1/2 Gal of water) and one drop of Aquarisol per gal, your betta will probably never get fungus.

I personally wouldn't make it a permanent addition to a betta's tank because its constant presence might cultivate parasites that are immune to it, but given a choice between irritating a betta for a week with a little fungus-killing salt or risk the betta getting an infection for an indefinite time, I would choose the former.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, but some bettas react badly to it, I was only pointing out the risks. I recently gave Mars salt in his tank as he has Dropsy, and he loved it. They're all different. For the sake of the betta I was letting you know about the risk, I feel it is important for fish welfare so a closer eye is kept on them if salt is added... I wouldn't feel very responsible to omit info that may be of benefit to a living creature's life, no matter how big or small any risk associated may be.

As fin rot is easy to get rid of with pristine water (and the additives I mentioned above), I personally wouldn't risk the salt if it is not required is all I was trying to point out. A lot of people here would not even mention salt in fin rot cases either if someone's looking for info on it.

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nice tank! I love the orange on charlamagne - i saw a similar VT in my LFS the other day and am coveting him for my empty 10G at the moment (if my husband will let me... )

My main boy (Bett - creative name i know but my 3yr old named him) got a rip in his fin today (how i'm not sure, i moved some of his drift wood around so maybe he went to explore and got stuck, silly thing). Can you get Vitachem in Australia? I think i;ve seen stress coat around but never bought it, but i probably should as Bett does get the occasional tear.

Well done on the save with the divider issue!!

Here are some pics of my boy too - i know tigerfishy was keen on having a look

Attachments

Last edited:

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hehe, thanks!

It's so funny, i originally bought a 5gal for my daughters bedroom and thought a simple betta would just be a nice extra pet in the home and help keep the baby amused when she woke up. But he has so much personality i just love him and had to upgrade to a big tank with friends, plants, the works. Never thought i'd get so attached to a little fish!

I can't wait to get my next tank going too!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom