My New Betta Sleeps Like A Human.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by wisegirl, Jul 18, 2017.

1. wisegirl

wisegirlNew MemberMember

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and new to aquarium keeping actually.

I've had my rosetail male betta for exactly 2 weeks (since 4th of July!), and in the last four or five days, he has gotten into an extremely regular (and kind of strange) routine!

At around 10:30 EVERY night, he will swim up to the filter intake at the top of the tank (Fluval spec V), position his face towards the output just below the waterline, and plaster the rest of his body against the intake grill!

That part of it isn't strange to me, because I have heard of bettas doing this, purely for the ease of not having to swim to the surface all night long for breaths of air.

The strange thing is, I will go check on him a few times before I go to bed (around 1 AM)... I will take off the tank lid turn on the light, and even gently swish the water next to his face… With absolutely no response! As if he is in a deep REM sleep!!

My husband gets annoyed at me, and tells me to leave him alone, but I can't help panicking that he's dead and stuck to the intake!

During the daylight hours, he is extremely active, alert, happy, and funny. (doing the characteristic betta wiggle dance for food, and chasing the two nerite snails )

He does not seem sick at all. Tank was cycled before we added him and I am up to date on water changes and level checks. We feed him 2-3 betta pellets in the am and pm. He has a 5-gallon tank to himself, (besides the two snails).

So... is he:

1. Extremely healthy and content
    2. Sick, but we can't tell
    3. Just really weird, and a heavy sleeper (for a fish).

Ideas? I'm trying not to panic. This is our first pet, and we adore him! TIA

2. DHIWZ

DHIWZValued MemberMember

Congratulations on your new tank!! And welcome to Fishlore!

Who knows why your Betta fish does what he does? Maybe he likes scaring you. Maybe he's a sound sleeper. Maybe he's me in another life (my parents say I can sleep through a nuclear attack, I believe it). Whatever the reason, you can be assured everything is fine as long as he is (1) taking food, and (2) not acting stressed--by this I mean losing color, acting crazy, trying to jump out of the tank, etc.

Fishkeeping (as far as Bettas are concerned) is really easy. Just cycle your tank, stay on top of your water parameters, do your water changes, and if everything seems fine it probably is.

3. Sen

SenValued MemberMember

I think you're fine. Bettas are very intelligent for fish, and it's not unheard of for them to figure out the routines of their humans. Both of my betta boys have figured out my daily routine:

20170622_131259.jpg My crowntail doesn't like when I leave for work. He'll hang out in the corner of the tank closest to the door and just look at me as I go. Kind of like a puppy.

20170323_144725.jpg My delta tail is a spoiled prince who naps at least as much as the average cat. He'll throw tantrums if he's not fed on time or if I forget to put up his cardboard "privacy screen" at night when my room light is on but he's trying to sleep.

Usually serious issues are accompanied by behaviors other than dead-to-the-world sleeping. Look for your betta gasping for breath (potentially ammonia poisoning), swimming on his side (swim bladder disorder), scratching himself on plants/decor (parasites), and refusing food (this is a big one. If your betta is not attempting to eat all the things like a black hole, that's usually a sign he's not feeling too great).

Given what you've said, I think your betta is fine and doing quite well. Congrats on your new tank, and I hope you have fun with your betta and the snails! :)

4. ravensangel

ravensangelValued MemberMember

Not strange for a Betta. My Boris likes to stretch out on his leaf during the day (he really stretches out his fins) and plops down on top of the heater at night.

They are quite entertaining. My 2 females are like puppies, begging for attention/food and wagging their lil fins, lol. I swear they'd slobber all over me if they could (like a puppy).

I love my Bettas.

5. jl_1005

jl_1005Valued MemberMember

My betta is the same

6. OP
    OP
    wisegirl

wisegirlNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone for the reassurance and laughs. I will relax and assume he's fine, happy, and a little bit of a turd. :-D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    wisegirl

wisegirlNew MemberMember

[QUOTE="He'll throw tantrums if he's not fed on time or if I forget to put up his cardboard "privacy screen" at night when my room light is on but he's trying to sleep.

If your betta is not attempting to eat all the things like a black hole, that's usually a sign he's not feeling too great).

Given what you've said, I think your betta is fine and doing quite well. Congrats on your new tank, and I hope you have fun with your betta and the snails! :)[/QUOTE]

Omg!! Lol...

Thank you!

8. Something Smells Fishy

Something Smells FishyValued MemberMember

I have the Spec V and Spec III, seem like all betta like to sleep at the filter intake in the Fluval Spec, so I put a hammock there for him, also don't use the filter nozzle to reduce the water flow. Just leave him alone, it took them awhile to be alert after waking up from sleeping.
    dolpua9a847.jpe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice