My new background

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by n0kturnal, May 15, 2006.

1. n0kturnalNew MemberMember

Hi all.
    I've just bought and installed a styrofoam 3D background into my 3 foot today. I've been looking for one for a very long time and finally found one. I almost turned to the DIY guides from another forum to made a concrete one. That will be done in a 6 foot tank i'm thinking of buying in the years to come. Those who have seen my tank when i first joined may've notice i had alot more driftwood than white rocks. But since i've learned more about cichlids, i've taken out alot of the driftwood and put in more rocks. Have a look at my new Lake Malawi tank. Let me know what you think. Sorry the pic is a little blurry. ;D

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Love the background, how does it attach to the tank? where did you find it?
    Carol

3. n0kturnalNew MemberMember

I've measure it up carefully and cut it to size. it is actually a 2 piece background. 2 feet each piece. i had to remove the cover glass support strips and then slide them in. Being styrofoam, they just wanted to pop back up. so i've pushed them right under the glass ledge (that goes east to west across the tank) that also supports the cover glass. i think they are usually siliconed into an empty tank.
    i had to call around the lfs' in the area and finally found 1 shop that had only 2 styles of backgrounds. I also found a few on ebay for sale from the UK, however postage is expensive!

4. s2reiiNew MemberMember

Hey Bubz :p Love the tank, it looks so pretty now... all the hard work paid off. Only pity is that all your cichlids are hiding... I guess they aren't ones to pose (too bad).

Anyways bubbaiz :-*

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I really like the effect. I wish my tank would lend itself to something like that but it is a Hex and would be very hard to set up I am afraid. I am getting too much sun and have a constant algae problem lately even though it is in a semi-protected place in my den. The glass in the front door (all glass) is too much for it and lets in too much light for it for too long a time of day.

Rose
    :)

6. smillermomValued MemberMember

I love the way you have a mix of rocks in your tank! Looks very nice. I will have to start visiting ebay to check out the backgrounds! I recently put a few clay pots in my cichlid tank and will be adding different sizes as I need more hiding places for my fish. Your tank is inspiring!

7. Joe GValued MemberMember

That looks really great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice