My new baby!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Ethan, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

Baby.jpg as some of you know i have my 29gallon set up and moved my corys and pleco over to it and my 5g was pretty empty with just a colony of mts and 2 mystery snails. so as i was walking through petco the bettas caught my eye and i decided to get a little baby to grow it up in my 5gallon. i feel kind of bad because their were some beautiful full grown bettas and i always feel sad watching them waste away..... i don't know the age of it or how long it will take to color up but any ideas? :eek: this picture i took on the way home

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Awww, what a little pip squeak!
    You should be marked improvement after a few days in a nice warm cycled tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Ethan

thanks i found the smallest one i could it is kind of like getting a puppy at shelter but watching all the older dogs bark as you leave :/

4. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

Yes, it makes you sad that you can't take all of them home, doesn't it?:(

5. OP
    OP
    Ethan

so true their was a beautiful king betta fully black and i wanted him so bad but i just couldn't house him

6. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

That's what put a kabosh on my MTS (not the snail). Sadly, there is no more room in "The Inn."

7. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Wow... that doesn't even look like a betta. It must be really stressed and young. Good luck raising it!

8. OP
    OP
    Ethan

it is a young betta yes :) i will update with pictures in a couple days on my blog :D

9. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

He is very young. Betta fry are very delicate little things. I encourage people to avoid buying them for that fact, it is terrible to sell them at such a young age to people that rarely know the proper care. A fry that young needs to be eating live foods. Baby Brine shrimp are the best staple at this point, live brine shrimp. Prepared foods and young bettas don't always work out well. If we were comparing a betta fry to a puppy, that is pretty far off, the difference between puppy to dog care and fry to adult care in bettas is HUGE. There won't be much growing up to watch most of the time unfortunately.

The key to getting these guys to adulthood is super clean water, great diet and proper heating. You may also want to get some IAL to lower the PH of your water, harder PH's have been blamed on fin disintegration(normally the ventrals). It can also be caused by dirty water. Proper diet will help with development internally and externally.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    Ethan

well i figured better me raising it than someone with no knowledge at all. it has been in the tank for a couple hours now and is swimming around much better than when i first introduced him. i will see what i can do about the brine shrimp if i can't get lucky at my lfs what are some decent alternatives? he keeps nibbling on a algae wafer i have in their for my snails while alternatively kicking their butts...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. soltarianknight

Frozen brineshrimp and frozen mixes, chopped up small enough for him to eat. Also NLS pellets and Kens Betta Bites. However, the frozen is a must.

12. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I would never buy a fish that is so juvenile, but it is hard to gauge how small he is from that picture. I have gotten fry off people before in good will and have ended up with deformed fry, incorrect gender and even incorrect species/colour morph. If you are committed than raise the out of that little dude (I assume you bought a male?) and as always, post more pics!

13. OP
    OP
    Ethan

day 2 and he/she is swimming around fine you can see some red coming in to the fins going to go buy some frozen brine shrimp in 2 hours or so :D

14. OP
    OP
    Ethan

my lfs had absolutely nothing except for some hikari micropellets. the baby is eating flake food and pellets decently

15. soltarianknight

Cut out the Flakes completely. No good for bettas in general, they are too airy and the fish tend to over eat them. Hikari Micro isn't giving the proper nutrition. Young betta will eat about anything you feed them, just because they eat it doesn't mean it is good for them.

Here is a link to the fry food sticky over on UltimateBetta.

16. OP
    OP
    Ethan

i guess i will go to petco tommorow... buy some more plants and some brine shrimp for the baby :/

17. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

Good luck, he's really cute! :)

18. OP
    OP
    Ethan

ty if this lil one dies ima be heart broken :/

19. OP
    OP
    Ethan

today i was watching him/her and noticed the fins are filling in with more red coloring :D hopefully means that she/he is healthy enough atm. could not make it to petco today for the brine shrimp but tommorow im on a mission to get there hopefully.... nearest petco is 30mins away so it is a trip lol

20. OP
    OP
    Ethan

went out and bought frozen bloodworms and some nls. she/he devoured a ton of both and seems very energetic and happy today :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice