My New Aquarium

Fabio Cabaceira

Reaction score
Hi so I recently revived my old 15 gallon fishtank I have a tequila sunrise guppy another guppy (I dont know the sub species) 2 female guppys and 5 bronze corydoras I had only 1 but then I got 1 large bronze corydora from my dads aquarium I added today more 3 bronze
2 of them( including the big one from my dad) are hiding under a big chunk of wood one of them is next to the filter is lying on his side and the other 2 are happy and super active I am super worried are my new corydoras sick what should I do pls help .

Thanks in advance
Fabio cabaceira
Portugal

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fabio Cabaceira said:
Hi so I recently revived my old 15 gallon fishtank I have a tequila sunrise guppy another guppy (I dont know the sub species) 2 female guppys and 5 bronze corydoras I had only 1 but then I got 1 large bronze corydora from my dads aquarium I added today more 3 bronze
2 of them( including the big one from my dad) are hiding under a big chunk of wood one of them is next to the filter is lying on his side and the other 2 are happy and super active I am super worried are my new corydoras sick what should I do pls help .

Thanks in advance
Fabio cabaceira
Portugal
Welcome to Fish lore we can try to help.

do you have a freshwater testing kit to test your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate levels?

your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. that's what's making your fish sick.

put simply, your fish poo. that poo breaks down into ammonia which is toxic to fish. imagine breathing your own poo.

one type of bacteria eat the ammonia. those bacteria then poo and create nitrite. nitrite is also very toxic to fish.

a second type of bacteria (nitrobacter) start growing. these guys grow more slowly but they eat nitrite. when nitrobacter poo, they produce nitrate. nitrate is less toxic & perfectly safe for fish until it gets higher than 20-40 ppm. you remove nitrates when you do weekly water changes. most of us keep nitrates below 20ppm.

I hope that makes sense?

getting a product like seachem prime will keep your fish safe as long as the levels of ammonia plus nitrite combined add up to less than 1ppm. (edit: example. ammonia at .5 + nitrite .25 = .75 total toxins = safe with prime)

when your levels are higher, you need to do partial water changes (usually daily) to remove the toxins back down to a safer level. you do this until your bacteria grow and can do it themselves.

the way you test your levels is test kits like the API freshwater master test kit. or bringing your tank water into a local fish store in a clean jar and asking them to test for you. many will for free.

Fabio Cabaceira

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the lesson on thr nitrogen cycle but I do not think its that because I added the guppies and a coryfish on monday I today I added 3 coryfish I am a new owner the guppies and all the other fish seem fine now but one coryfish is isolated in a corner I do not think he is sick tho maybe he s just getting used to is new home as for water changes I plan doing 25% weekly I enjoy reserching about my fish to keep them very happy if you have any tips I would enjoy that

I have a ph test and I put a thing in my water weekly called ultrafin aquaplus

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fabio Cabaceira said:
Hi thanks for the lesson on thr nitrogen cycle but I do not think its that because I added the guppies and a coryfish on monday I today I added 3 coryfish I am a new owner the guppies and all the other fish seem fine now but one coryfish is isolated in a corner I do not think he is sick tho maybe he s just getting used to is new home as for water changes I plan doing 25% weekly I enjoy reserching about my fish to keep them very happy if you have any tips I would enjoy that
you should do some more research on how quickly ammonia builds up. the way to keep your fish happy will be doing much more frequent water changes - daily or every other day - until your tank is cycled. then you can do weekly.

good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom