My New Aquaponics Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Keith P Mccoy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Keith P Mccoy

Keith P Mccoy New Member Member

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, this is awesome! Sounds like a really interesting project! :)

3. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

I am very excited. This is my second tank so far. I have a 10 gallon fish tank as well that I started about a month ago, my wife has always kept bettas and recently got me hooked. She has a very basic understanding of how to care for fish but judging by the health and longevity of her bettas and snails it has served her well. I am trying to learn about the science of an aquarium(biological cycle, good and bad bacteria, amonia...etc). I will test my patience by taking it slow with this tank, I want it to eventually be a colorful community tank with maybe a school of guppies, whatever gets along with guppies and a couple different bottom feeders. I have done alot of research about aquariums and the biological cycle but I still need to learn how the aquaponics planters will complicate things. The plants I have considered growing are herb varieties, strawberries, cat nip, lettuce and tomatoes.

4. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

I put a few guppies in it to start the cycle.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

Latest pics, it's coming along nicely. I love watching the snail and the guppies fight over algae disks. I have 10 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 3 ghost shrimp, a pleco and a snail. My son had an all neon colored tank I offered to upgrade if he let me put his neon tetras in my big tank. I was afraid they wouldn't look right with my mom neon fish and all natural decor but they really make the tank alot more colorful.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice