My New Aquaponics Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Keith P Mccoy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Keith P Mccoy

Keith P MccoyNew MemberMember

I just finished constructing it and setting up the tubing and planters. I am still figuring out what kind of fish and plants I will put in it.

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Oh, this is awesome! Sounds like a really interesting project! :)

3. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

I am very excited. This is my second tank so far. I have a 10 gallon fish tank as well that I started about a month ago, my wife has always kept bettas and recently got me hooked. She has a very basic understanding of how to care for fish but judging by the health and longevity of her bettas and snails it has served her well. I am trying to learn about the science of an aquarium(biological cycle, good and bad bacteria, amonia...etc). I will test my patience by taking it slow with this tank, I want it to eventually be a colorful community tank with maybe a school of guppies, whatever gets along with guppies and a couple different bottom feeders. I have done alot of research about aquariums and the biological cycle but I still need to learn how the aquaponics planters will complicate things. The plants I have considered growing are herb varieties, strawberries, cat nip, lettuce and tomatoes.

4. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

I put a few guppies in it to start the cycle.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Keith P Mccoy

Latest pics, it's coming along nicely. I love watching the snail and the guppies fight over algae disks. I have 10 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 3 ghost shrimp, a pleco and a snail. My son had an all neon colored tank I offered to upgrade if he let me put his neon tetras in my big tank. I was afraid they wouldn't look right with my mom neon fish and all natural decor but they really make the tank alot more colorful.

Attached Files: