My New Angelfish Finally!!! (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by josephtsui, Dec 24, 2008.

1. josephtsuiValued MemberMember

:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman
    Yeah!! After researching for about half a year, I finally bought my first fish tank!! and I just bought a pair of angelfish today!!!!:;ufo

I really want them to breed, does anyone have any clue about their genders??

oh my god, i can't post my pictures on!!

i can't put up the pictures because they are too big... sorrysorry...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    j

josephtsuiValued MemberMember

sorry for the delay....
    so, here.... weee.... gooo....

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    j

more and more...

Attached Files:

5. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

beautiful angels!!!!!!!! from the pics as they are, they both look like beautious girlies to me! goodluck with them..they have great coloring :)

6. OP
    OP
    j

they are quite timid at the moemtn: hidding in the corner or behind the plants...
    is that normal??? i jut bought them 2 days ago...

please help me to identify ther genders... if u can...

7. capekateFishlore VIPMember

New fish tend to be shy til they acclimate to their surroundings. Im not positive, as they are still pretty young, but I tend to agree with Shawnie on the gender, I believe they may be females.They are beautiful fish..
    best of luck with them..:)
    EDiT:
    on second thought after looking at the photos more closely it is possible.. that the angel with the black patch of color at its back fin may be a male. Its forehead does seem to have a slight bump more so than the other one. But they are still young and its very hard to tell Angelfish gender as a rule.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  8. OP
    OP
    j

:(do u really think they are female??

i might buy one more tomr and hopefully I will get a male...

9. capekateFishlore VIPMember

see my edit above...
    added some more thoughts on it...
    What some folks do when trying to get a pair, is to buy a larger number of Angels, and hopefully get a pair out of them. But it only works if you have a place to put the rest or are able to return them to the LFS at that time.

10. OP
    OP
    j

no, i don't have enough space for many angels... but i do have enough for 3 .`O`.

11. Shawnie

id give it a few months...they grow into their faces..as kate said , they are young ....

12. OP
    OP
    j

ok... by the way, how long does it takes for them to choose their mate (not breed) ?

accordding to what u said, is it gonna be much easier to identify their genders just a few months later??

13. Shawnie

breeding about 6-10 months old..mine were about 6 1/2 months but who knows how old they were when I got them

14. capekateFishlore VIPMember

What size tank do you have them in? How long has it been up and running and is it cycled? If you can fill in the aquarium info under your screen name it would be a big help.:)
    I would say that it may take six months or so before you can really tell what gender they are, and if they will pair up or not. I had my two angelfish for almost two years now and in the beginning when they were babies they got along fine. Once they started to grow up, they started fighting with each other. They are both females btw. You may find that happen to you as well. That is why I am very happy with just having one angel fish in two of my tanks.

15. OP
    OP
    j

i have 10 tetras, 2 clown loaches and 2 angelfish...
    i think i am gonna sell the tetras or just 5 of them, and add one more angelfish...
    i might sell all tetras when the angelfish get bigger.
    how do you know whether the angelfish are healthy or not?? they are still hiding and I am a bit worried...

btw, my clown loaches seem to have some small white spots on them, is it normal?? there are just about 5-6 spots and they are really small, wht should i do?

16. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Does it look like grains of salt? If so, it could be ich.

To treat ich, you can slowly raise the temp to 83/84F. Leave to there for at least 2 weeks. That'll kill the spores. Do a thorough vacumm to pick up the spores in the gravel. Also increase aeration to make up for the lack of oxygen in the warmer water.

Your angels are beautiful. :)

17. mathas

mathasWell Known MemberMember

In addition to what Lucy said, clown loaches are quite susceptible to ich, so that's a good possibility.

Also, I don't know what size tank you have them in, but clown loaches get rather large and need a lot of swimming room. They also do best in groups larger than two. Since either of those factors could be stressing the loaches, and stressed fish are more prone to disease, you may run into this again in the future unless your tank is quite large and you can add more loaches :( Read   for more information on what the loaches need to thrive.

18. OP
    OP
    j

my tank is a 20 gallons tank...how do you know whether the angelfish are healthy or not?? they are still hiding and I am a bit worried...

alright then, i might sell the clown loaches as well.... :( after a few months probably.../

19. jack--sos

jack--sosWell Known MemberMember

sorry but i think 20 gallons is too small for angels, unless its a 20 gallon tall

20. Shawnie

20 gals tall would be ok as jack said but with the other fish as well, even the tall is overstocked either way :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice