My New African Dwarf Frogs! (Total of 4) 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by AlexAlex, Dec 8, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I finally got my 4 new African Dwarf Frogs! They are SO cool!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sooooo cute! Your going to love them!

Did you have to go to Nashville?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you, Lucy.

No, I have an excellent fish shop about 20 minutes from me called "Age Of Aquariums". They keep their tanks crystal clear, never have dead fish that I have seen of in the 8 years I've been going to them. They've been in business since 1979.

And, I already LOVE them!! I love it when they jump up for air.... I crack up every time! lol

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Have you seen the thread on foods for them? What are you feeding? Bloodworms aren't the best food for ADF's

5. Lucy

Wait until feeding time.
    They'll look up when the door opens and wait for the magic rain of food!

Oftentimes it lands right next to them or on them and those poor babies are still looking up...waiting...lol

So silly!

6. OP
    OP
    A

The owner of the shop suggest Amphibian Pellets specially made for them. I think they are mini pellets... Quite small. I imagine it's so they can digest it properly.

7. Lucy

8. OP
    OP
    A

I read that the other night before bed. Very informative. I loved the comment about the tank setup on my other post about the frogs.

9. C

It is important to feed more than just pellets. I alternate frozen foods and pellets. Brine shrimp and Mysis shrimp are great. Right now I have catfish that I bout at the grocery store for about $3. I cut it in to strips and froze it. Then when it is time to feed, I grate it for instant frog size pieces. They also love beef heart.

It is important to get things in small pieces for the frogs, they can't chew so everything needs to be easy.

You can also cut up small pieces of earthworm, the like that.

10. OP
    OP
    A

Oh cool! I have a tackle shop down the road from me that sells earth worms super cheap. Is that okay?

On the Catfish, do I need to buy it fresh from the meat department?

11. C

I bought my catfish pre wrapped up. It was on sale. You can feed pretty much any white fish. Tilapia is good and cheap too. I'll try to make you a little video so you can see how I did it.

Earthworms from a bait shop should be fine. I always rinse my worms real well before I feed them. If you aren't squeemish, cut up a worm in to bite sized parts for your frogs. Then, cut up the rest of it for your fish. Your Africans should go nuts for it, it's not bad for them to get a little live food every once in a while.

12. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

i gave mine pieces of black worms today....they loved em. just cut the earth worm into frog sized bites. mine are on all frozen food or live. got tubiflex and glass worms, mysis and spirilina enrichedshrimp, and bloodworms for a treat. even with using shrimp to cycle tanks ive only used half of the original packaged i got with my frogs in july. its goes really far with small frog colonys. i dice the frozen cubes to frog portions and keep it in the freezer to thaw per meal.

sea food treats should be the same grade u would eat and stored just as conciously for disease.

13. OP
    OP
    A

The pet shop owner said something about earth worms are good for a seldom treat for African Cichlids. I just haven't done that yet because the need to go get earthworms didn't arise until now.... lol

There is a mom and pop grocery store down the road as well, and they always have sales on Catfish and Tilapia.

And no, I'm not squeemish at all about worms, cutting them, etc. No biggie to me. I can't wait to do the worms for the frog... That will be intriguing to watch! Haha

14. Lucy

Ew. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice