My New African Butterfly Fish

1. A

Alexis Hooten Valued Member Member

Hello again everybody!
    2 days ago I purchased a 3" male butterfly fish. He was pretty pale when I bought him, but gained spectacular color almost immediately after acclimating him and adding him to the tank.
    I've been watching him very closely, knowing they are a very sensitive fish. Today he has been hanging out in the mid- and bottom regions of the tank, and the only thing I've read about that behaviour is that they are scared or stressed. He has retained his coloration and happily eats the pellets I have given him (I will be picking up small crickets tomorrow). The right side of my tank has considerably more flow than the left side, and he has mainly stuck to the left side.. should I be concerned about him hanging out in the mid region?
    I also added plants that reach the surface, and floating moss balls for him.
    I haven't been able to find much information about their behaviours versus concerning behaviours, so any information you guys could give me would be much appreciated!

Ammonia- 0ppm
    Nitrite- 0ppm
    Nitrate- >5.0ppm
    pH- 7.0

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

My mom had one and he swam around the middle of the tank for a few days before he started chilling at the top of the tank. We also noticed that when we turned the lights off (when he was still uneasy) that he tended to swim more toward the top.
    I'd say as long as he's eating and staying colored, don't worry too much. :)

3. OP
    OP
    A

Alexis Hooten Valued Member Member

Okay, thank you!