My new 75’s

saltwater60

I started off 25-26 years ago with an eel that my brother found alive in the wegmans fish department. Then I went to a 55 gallon cichlids tank, then I upgraded to a 75 cichlids tank and a 55 gallon reef tank. Then I ditch the 55 and the cichlids and made the 75 a reef tank. Kept that up and running for about 13 years. I’m that 13 years I bred and raised clownfish and propagated corals. I had many other reef tanks set up in that time and other clownfish tanks to breed. Rotifers, algae, brittle stars, copepods were all raised and sold. I actually made some money off my reef tanks. Moved to a new house and tore them all down. I just don’t have the time or space. I missed it. I was always known as the fish guy and my reef tank was amazing!!
Now I started a 29 gallon fresh water planted tank and really enjoyed that. I did a double stacked 75 gallon tank. The bottom one for a red eared slider and the top one I’m going to do a moderately planted fresh water community tank. Lott’s of small fish and lots of activity in the tank. Some shrimp too. I’ll select my fish stocking carefully so they don’t eat the shrimp.
Here’s where in currently At now. The stand is built like a tank.

Attachments

• D238CB91-2764-463D-AD66-D45BCB393CC6.jpeg
    D238CB91-2764-463D-AD66-D45BCB393CC6.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 83
  • 05EE7145-D98B-40E3-A7A6-BB1AFF2CF64F.jpeg
    05EE7145-D98B-40E3-A7A6-BB1AFF2CF64F.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 87

kallililly1973

Following! Very cool and definitely looks like a very well built stand. Nice room underneath for tank. maint. Will you need to use a step stool for the upper 75? Stand looks pretty tall? Not that it's a bad thing. just curious.

kleon33

Wow! Is that out in your garage? What are you going to put in them?

saltwater60

Following! Very cool and definitely looks like a very well built stand. Nice room underneath for tank. maint. Will you need to use a step stool for the upper 75? Stand looks pretty tall? Not that it's a bad thing. just curious.

Yes I will need a step stool but I planned on that. It’s not ideal but the stationary run is just a few feet away. A 20 gallon tank will possibly go on the side ledge for some rams.

saltwater60

Wow! Is that out in your garage? What are you going to put in them?
Basement. Not garage. As for fish I’m thinking a bunch of small tetras, badis, small rainbow fish, danios. Stuff like that.

kleon33

That'll look really nice, constant movement. I'm too into the big fish lol to devote a tank to the little guys. I have a livebearer tank but even that has two cichlids in it atm. Good luck!

kallililly1973

Basement. Not garage. As for fish I’m thinking a bunch of small tetras, badis, small rainbow fish, danios. Stuff like that.
That will be an interesting tank with a bunch of community fish. Nice big schools. As a suggestion for an amazing schooler are Vonrios/flame tetras. I have 12 in my 55 and they are a blast to watch. They even hang out/school/and play and chase with my 5 serpae. Just a thought. There are a million varieties out there.. Looking forward to see what you add to it eventually!!

saltwater60

That will be an interesting tank with a bunch of community fish. Nice big schools. As a suggestion for an amazing schooler are Vonrios/flame tetras. I have 12 in my 55 and they are a blast to watch. They even hang out/school/and play and chase with my 5 serpae. Just a thought. There are a million varieties out there.. Looking forward to see what you add to it eventually!!
This are cool. I like them. If I can find red ones they are for sure an option. I have ember tetras in a 20 gallon now. I’ll take those 3 out and add like 7 more to that school since it’s too small. If I can’t find the red ones and see the oranger variety of flame testras I think those and the embers will be too close looking.

kallililly1973

This are cool. I like them. If I can find red ones they are for sure an option. I have ember tetras in a 20 gallon now. I’ll take those 3 out and add like 7 more to that school since it’s too small. If I can’t find the red ones and see the oranger variety of flame testras I think those and the embers will be too close looking.
Yes the Vonrio and embers are very similar in color I have 4 embers in my 5.5... in a 75 the sky is pretty much the limit as far as schools of rasboras or tetras go for the the most part... ide like to get some buneos Aries or Colombians eventually if I get a bigger tank... all my tanks are stocked so I have no choice but to live vicariously through other people’s builds

FinalFins

Yes I will need a step stool but I planned on that. It’s not ideal but the stationary run is just a few feet away. A 20 gallon tank will possibly go on the side ledge for some rams.
Following because tank builds are cool. Plus you mentioned rams.

saltwater60

Yes the Vonrio and embers are very similar in color I have 4 embers in my 5.5... in a 75 the sky is pretty much the limit as far as schools of rasboras or tetras go for the the most part... ide like to get some buneos Aries or Colombians eventually if I get a bigger tank... all my tanks are stocked so I have no choice but to live vicariously through other people’s builds
Don’t we all do that!!

saltwater60

Following because tank builds are cool. Plus you mentioned rams.
Getting the hard scaling done tonight. Sand, rocks, and best of all driftwood will go in soon. Have to do dinner and run my son somewhere then it’s game on!!

saltwater60

All filled up and scaled out. I’m very happy with how it came out. Filter comes tomorrow and I’ll add a few plants tomorrow with more plants to come next week. Then the week after I’ll add some fish. Yes I do fish in cycles.
Oh and the large rock on the right is just there to hold down the log. It will be pulled when the log sinks on its own. It too big and out of place. I’ll add a few more smaller rocks for some more binding spaces but I’ll figure that out later. Let me know what you all think
I’ll take some close up when the water clears a bit more. Looking at the picture it doesn’t do it justice since you can’t see any detail on the logs I placed in there.

Attachments

• 05953A64-FBA6-49C5-A53D-325D63CC1D13.jpeg
    05953A64-FBA6-49C5-A53D-325D63CC1D13.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 55

saltwater60

Now with some plants.

Attachments

• CCD2E44F-0950-4F69-80D2-494DDA5FD1A4.jpeg
    CCD2E44F-0950-4F69-80D2-494DDA5FD1A4.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 62

FinalFins

Liking the wood placement....

saltwater60

Liking the wood placement....
Good me too. I was wondering it if would be too much but I really like it. I’ve got some more plants to add then I’ll let it fester for a week then start adding some fish slowly.

kallililly1973

Going to look amazing with a community of fish working their way in around and through the hardscape. Have u decided on any species yet?

saltwater60

Not 100% yet. I know I’ll do some ember tetras, green tetras, small rainbow fish either blue eyed or fulcata, and some celestial pearl danios. Probably a fancy pleco since my son loves them.

kallililly1973

Not 100% yet. I know I’ll do some ember tetras, green tetras, small rainbow fish either blue eyed or fulcata, and some celestial pearl danios. Probably a fancy pleco since my son loves them.
It already sounds awesome with a bunch of schools of nano fish. Nice choice I like it!!

saltwater60

Queen Arabesque Pleco? I was thinking cardinals would look AMAZING in a tank like that.
Not sure. I like the colorful plecos. My LFS has one in a tank that’s like bright orange. It’s really cool.

Dawn Michele

Looks awesome!!! Can't wait to see it all set up!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Evilsleeve
Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views
Dawn Michele
Replies
Views