My new 55 setup!

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. As far as the pots, no one really lives in them but they are available if anyone wants them. Sometimes the kuhlis will curl up in one or go slithering through the back hole.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Everyone seems to be settling in nicely, although we've pretty much resigned ourselves to never seeing the kuhli loaches again. Probably won't see much of the RTBS either, he lives up inside the castle turret. Everyone else is doing fine. The tigers' colors have really brightened up quite a lot, the cories are happily swimming all over the places.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
A few random pictures of some of the residents.

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

And one of my new ADFs in one of my betta tanks. They're about the size of my thumbnail right now.  I'm thinking of naming them Romeo and Juliet but not sure yet. I did get a male and female, luckily.
clear.gif

Attachments

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't plan to breed them but if they wanna, they're welcome to. I have a pair at work in my betta tank there, too, who are constantly doing the nasty.

Yup, semi-aggressive tank. Not a pain to clean the plants at all. There are two pitbull plecos and a baby albino bristlenose that do a great job. I might throw some otos in, too, depending on how bad the brown diatom problem gets (almost inevitable in new tanks) and whether the others can keep it under control until it goes away.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Boxermom, what is that golden/rosy colored fish on the second picture from the bottom? Is that a golden or a rosy barb? It is so pretty. I've seen fish like this once at my LFS but unfortunately didn't look at its name. But it was exactly the same as that on your picture. I love it.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
The one with the white stripes? Those are albino tiger barbs. Not true albinos but that's what they are called. If you mean the smaller one in the back with the black dot near the tail, that would be a rosy barb. The males are very orange/red, the females are much more pale orange. Both types of barbs are semi-aggressive, very active and need to be in schools of an absolute minimum of six. More is better, as it helps to diffuse the aggression.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, I was talking about the barb with the dot. Are golden barbs aggressive too? I was thinking of getting a few rosy or golden barbs for my 75G tank. But since it will have angelfish and you say the rosy barb is aggressive, maybe it's not a good idea? I also don't know if I'd want as many as 6 of them.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
All barbs with the sole exception of cherry barbs are semi-aggressive. Cherry barbs would probably do much better for your angels. They stay smaller than the others, about an inch and a half long, are a lovely red color (males and females although the males are darker red) and are very peaceful. Hmmm... I just wonder if your angels would eat them though.

I've been fighting with the idea of getting a good size school of angels for my other 55 when I get it set up. Not sure yet what I'm going to do, but leaning heavily towards angels. Depends on if I can find a puffer that I haven't got yet and can afford.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've seen cherry barbs at my LFS many times. They're lovely too. And yes, much smaller and very peaceful. Females are a beautiful orange-brownish color, and the males are so red - a real cherry color (hence the name I suppose).

More or less, how many angels would you like in your 55G tank? As for my angels, they've lived with neon tetras since they were young and small in size. They basically grew up with them. I never saw my angels bother my neons, only occasionally chase one during spawning times. Other than that the angels seem not to mind the neons at all. The neons will often swim up to the surface during feeding times and angels will eat with them peacefully.

But I think if angels were raised only with other angels, or fish similarly sized to angels, and then put into a tank with small fish like neons, they'd probably try to eat the smaller fish.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
If I get them, I'd probably go with a half dozen or so, and probably some cories. I usually have a bristlenose in each tank but I know plecos like to suck on angels, so that's out.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just so you know, angelfish are rather "big crappers". I'd have to say that in my 30 gallon tank with only 2 angels and (originally) 12 neons, most of the waste was produced by the angels. You'll have a lot of water changes to perform with 6 angels if you want to keep your nitrate at 0 or even at 10. Or, you'll have to feed the 6 angels very sparsely.

Another thing to consider is angelfish mating and breeding. If it so happens that 2 angels will pair, they may be aggressive toward all the other angels during spawning times. You'd have even more aggression if you had 2 pairs of angels. While a 55G tank is not small, it won't provide as much space for 6 angels as it would provide for only 2 angels. In my 75G tank, I'd like to keep only 2 angels. The reason I'll keep 4 is because I don't want to get rid of all of my angel babies which I worked very hard to raise. Other than that (if I didn't have the babies, that is), I'd keep only 2 angels in my 75G tank.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have puffers so all of my tanks, puffer and otherwise, are overfiltered and I do weekly water changes on all of them. But as I said, I'm not set on the idea yet. I'll most likely end up with another type of puffer, even if I have to order it online.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am by no means discouraging you from getting angelfish. They're very beautiful and, I'd say, intelligent fish. It's totally up to you. What I wrote before were some thoughts based on my personal experience with angelfish, which I hope would be of some help to you. Anyway, I really know nothing about puffers. How large do they get? What conditions do they require? Are they peaceful or aggressive? The name itself sounds so interesting - they must be quite a character in a tank?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Puffers are my huge passion, I've been studying them for quite some time. There are a large variety of puffers but not all of them are commonly available. There are freshwater puffers (dwarf puffers, south american puffers, irrubesco, modestus, etc.), brackish puffers (Figure 8s) and marine puffers (green spotted puffers, ceylon, porcupine, etc.). They range in size from dwarf puffers, which max out at an inch and a half and require 3 gallons each, to the mbu or giant puffer, which is about 30 inches and require a 1000 gallon tank. Some are hunters and some are lurkers. ALL are extremely aggressive and should be in species-only tanks. Few are appropriate for beginner fishkeepers as they have special considerations. DPs, for instance, are decievingly cute. Tiny little things that harbor the personalities of a huge piranha in a small body. They'll shred the fins of fish that are 10 times their size! Mine have nearly nibbled a huge mystery snail to death, removing its eye stalks and making gouges all over its foot.

They require hard shelled foods such as snails, mussels, cockles, etc, as their teeth will overgrow and they'll end up starving to death. They are highly prone to intestinal parasites, epecially the ones from pet and fish stores. If not treated promptly, they'll starve to death. Some, no matter what you do, will have overgrown teeth and require manual trimming every 4-6 months, which can be a real nightmare. Some like the porcupine are prone to lockjaw and have to have a very good diet. All are messy fish that require overfiltration and immaculate water conditions. But for us puffer enthusiasts, its worth the trouble.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like puffers too but haven't been able to keep one yet but someday I hope to be able to. Isabella my grandpa loved angels, they were his favorite and he kept 6 of them in a 29 gallon along with 3 cories and they have lived longer than most and that's where my two are from. Now I don't know what type of cleaning he did but he had one type of live plant that covered the whole bottom giving the cories cover and a few tall fake plants for the angels to hide behind but that was it and was filtered with a old penguin bio-wheel 150. They grew large and small varying in size. So ya boxermom could do it but like you guys have said it would be a lot of work because I have no idea what type of work he did but it was always clean, he might have cleaned it every day, probably did or at least several times a week because they are massive waste machines. I wish I never had blue gravel because it shows up a LOT on my gravel. I personally don't have a favorite fish yet, don't have the ability to get more than I have and I'm stuck with what I have since I will not kill fish so I'm stuck with a community tank. Boxermom I didn't know plecos suck on angels, I have one and he hasn't sucked on my angel? ???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom