My new 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by ivonko, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

hey guys,

i picked up a 55 gallon tank not to long ago, upgrading from my 30 long so i thought i would post up some pics and share what i have so far :)

what came with the tank
    bunch of plants (took the ones i wanted then got in store credit for the rest)
    about 12 fish (broght to local private fishstore and returned for instore credit)
    penguin emperor 350 filter
    2x hoods with flourescent lights, 1 light doesnt work
    1x large industrial 4' hood w/ t8 lights
    assorted decor (rocks, driftwood, ceramic pots)
    a ton of gravel
    an old coffee table that was used as a stand

now what i did:
    painted the background black
    took all the gravel out and exchanged it for white sand
    bought a second 350 filter for it (in the mail)
    bought a aquarium odessa T8 HO light for it with 2x 6500k lights (in the mail)
    bought a nicer stand
    poured in 1/2 the water from my 30 into it and put my aqueon 50 carbon filter and sponge filter into the penguin to build up some bio filtration quicker

heres some pics
    16075505_large.jpg

heres a rescue salamander that i got for my little brother from the lfs looks like a western long toed salamander, we set up a 5.5 gallon semi terrestrial tank for him.
    16075508_large.jpg

here is my little helper doing what he does best while im setting up the stand :)
    16075510_large.jpg

i have now had it a few days, and made the following updates
    fish so far:
    a school of 25 white cloud minnow (i get them as feeder fry for 25 cents then raise them into adults, feels a lot more rewarding in the end)

plants so far:
    java moss on 2 pieces of driftwood (for the shrimp, shrimp still in my 30 gal)
    16075507_large.jpg
    3x blyxa japonica (really cool looking plant imo)
    anacharis
    ludwiga
    moneywort

pics to come!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Lookin' good! Your little helper is just precious!

3. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Good luck on the setup. I'd like to keep up on how that fixture in the mail works out for you, I had my eye on the same one. I got bulbs that can fit it too if I decided to get it myself. Blyxa japonica I always liked as a foreground mostly. Look forward to update pics.

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Congratulations on the new tank. Can't wait to see what it looks like set up.

5. OP
    OP
    ivonko

thanks guys :) ill make sure i keep posting updates and pics i will already be able to get a pic of the new plants and stuff in it today, im just sad that only half the tanks lights are working and there is no point to replacing them because im getting an entire to light setup

@gamer are you looking at the odessa setup on a website or on ebay? i found that on ebay it is 10 dollars cheaper than on any other website :) 60 dollars shipped vs 70 dollars plus shipping

6. Gamer

I was looking at it on an aqua website but will use ebay if I decide I want it. Thank you.

I am pretty set on a Solarmax HE, the plants I will keep are ferns, anubias and floaters which I have in other tanks, I just need to wait until I get the light cause I'm using the ones the 55 came with which are underpowered for live plants.

I am very interested in how the odessa works for you. This will be like taking a much closer look at it to see whether or not I ever seal the deal and upgrade to it in the future. :)

7. OP
    OP
    ivonko

i will make sure i keep you updated on plant growth and quality of light (i only use seachem flourish as a supplement for my plants so it will be pretty controlled with minimal variables).

i really hope it comes in soon though, because i already have a few plants in the tank at this point and the one wimpy light that works in the tank really isnt cutting it.

8. OP
    OP
    ivonko

update :)

IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg

built a slate formation on the right side of the tank and put in some plants and fish :) but im still lacking in the light department so you cant really see much in the pics, hoping the light and filter come in by the middle of next week so i can finish transferring over my plants i have the bigger plants still in the 30 right at the moment. i also have 2 berried red cherry shrimp in there :D im excited to be a shrimp daddy!! haha

9. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

That looks really nice. Can't wait to see the completed setup.

10. OP
    OP
    ivonko

my second penguin 350 arrived today, install going to happen tomorrow, also my faucet fitting finally arrived so i used the aqueon gravel vac the way its supposed to be used, and i loved it!!! made it 100x easier and no carrying buckets or anything, almost makes me WANT to clean my tanks daily haha

still waiting on the 48" t5 strip to ship out, not sure whats taking it so long, i cant finish putting in my plants till its shipped

on a positive note though in this waiting period i can tell the my 30 that only has inverts in it right now is really thriving without fish around, i have 3 berried red cherry shrimp along with a ton of new malaysian trumpets, because i still have to feed them i just put in 1 sinking pellet every night and a tiny bit of fish food so it floats till it gets water logged then sinks to the bottem where the shrimp grab it.

something kind of interesting that i noticed is that the shrimp have what seems to be a designated eating area, when i put 2 sinking pellets in instead of 1 (about 1-2 times a week) they will bring both pellets to the same area from wherever they fell in the tank then eat there.

11. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I just upgraded my lights to the 48 in t5. it is awesome :) Your tank looks amazing btw

12. Gamer

I've upgraded to a 48" T5 too! Small world! Cheers to t5 upgrades all around and to an amazing looking tank so far.

13. OP
    OP
    ivonko

my goodies came in today!!! i got and installed my light strip, my filter, and my fire belly newt :) the poor guy looked pretty tired from the trip, i just put him into the tank this evening so im giving him the night off then will give him some blood worms to eat tomorrow.

i took a few pics today but havent transferred them to a computer yet so cant post them quite yet, i also transferred som more plant life, 6 of my amano shrimp (which are getting huge at almost 2 inches in length), and 3 nerite snails 1 large mts and an assasin snail.

pics to come :)

14. OP
    OP
    ivonko

pic:
    IMG_0935.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. JDcichlidlover

it didn't work :(

16. OP
    OP
    ivonko

so.... i know i might get some hate for this... but i got 3 bala sharks for my tank, i know they will eventually outgrow it, but when that occurs there is a special spot in the 100 gallon tank at my lfs for them when that occurs, till them i LOVE them, the swim around together as a group and look absolutely amazing imo.

also my fire belly newt seems to be getting along great with all of his fish mates so far, he just chills in the slate caves with the night crew during the day only coming out occasionally to go up for air or make a lap around the tank,

looking for subtle ways to make him some more cover throughout the tank so im open to ideas :)

i also got 3 striped kuhli loaches to accompany my 2 black kuhlis they seem to be happy as well, come out in the evening to eat the left over from dinner.

also brought some more of my shrimp over from my 30 gallon so i have about 10 cherry shrimp, 5 amano, and 1 that appears to be a black king kong shrimp in there.

17. Gamer

You got some balas? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! How could you? :(

:D

18. OP
    OP
    ivonko

balas are my future excuse to going to a 150 gallon ;) in the meantime here are some pics of my present collection trying to learn to take pics with my new camera :)
    and to not scare some of you; my cichlids were born and raised in nuetral water before i got them so they are fully adapted and not having any ill effects :)

i love my birchir hes the puppy in the fish tank :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    ivonko

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  20. JDcichlidlover

They are too cool :D
    But you do know that you put a red tail shark with balas, not a good idea. red tails don't like any other sharks in their tank once they get bigger.
    And you have some mbuna, not good with any sharks (species only tank or fish will be bullied) .
    Love the giraffe cichlid (peacock):D he's beautiful.
    The birchir is awesome :) he's cool looking, looks pretty evil >:D lol
    And the african butterfly is gorgeous :D

So now you have at least 3 more tanks to get :D a mbuna tank, one for the balas, and another for the red tail. :D